Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anitha.b thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 19 years ago
Wow...very well said Jen and Puja.

I agree that it is totally a woman's choice to do so. But if she is doing this to cover up her mistake then I don't think that even she should get that choice.

I personally feel that the little one should not be the sufferer ultimately for our convictions. It should be the last and the least step used. The decision should be only biased towards the unborn's health conditions and financial conditions.

The lesser the thought of this and use of this is better for better human.

|Persephone| thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
u sooooooo right gigli

that is a woman's decision...sometimes there is no other practical solution....
saroj thumbnail
It's wrong to judge women who opt for abortion...because in most cases the circumstances lead them to do it.There might be health factors or economic problems behind a woman's decision to terminate her pregnancy.It is emotionally tough for any woman to abort her foetus,and maybe this was the last resort.But having said that,I feel that prevention of unwanted pregnancy is better than abortion..but then the rural women are ill equipped to deal with precautionary measures,they are treated as breeding machines by their husbands,
ruta thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

well in most of the cases abortion is beign misused. Like puja rightly said, many people after knowing the gender of the child want to abort it...as howmuch ever the world might have progressed there are certain area in india where people still believe in the norm that girls are a liabilty and drain on the financial resouces of the country.

i am not fully against abortion....but i feel that when humans don't have the right of giving life they don't have the right of taking it either.  

anonmember thumbnail

Originally posted by: pj04

also this is a problem in some southasian countries where abortion is used as a way to get rid of child of unwanted gender. one of my aunts is an ob/gyn in india. she claims that half of her patients specially uneducated ones would opt/would be forced to opt for abortion if she told them that thier kid was a daughter.if you consider the implications ...it leads us towards a society lacking in females disturbing nature's balance. the problem was so acute that indian government had to step in and declare finding the gender of the featuses and having abortion based on it illegal.

bottom line being ....while abortion is not a sin...however it should be treated as last resort owing to various physical, emotional and social implications involved.

Very well said and I also want to add that its commendable that the forum is discussing such a controversial topic. Another problem with abortion is that a woman maybe forced against her will to get an abortion, which puts her life in danger. If she prefers to keep her baby, but her family does not, she is not really having the 'freedom to choose'. But its also true that in some South Asian countries that many unwanted newborn baby girls are abandoned and left to die after birth. In some cases, would it be better to abort the fetus than have it be born in such a horrible circumstance?

My views are otherwise similar to what pj04 and gigli shared. Another sub-topic on the issue is under-age abortion (couldn't think of another name) Especially in life-threatening situations, should girls under the age of 18 be required to have parental permission before aborting? In many US states, there is such a law before an abortion for girls under the age of 18 which endanger a girl's health and delay an abortion which may be to prevent a pregnancy out of rape .

Edited by sonynyu - 19 years ago
ides thumbnail

Very well said Jeni and Puja👏…..everyone has been extremely mature and have presented their thoughts very well….

I agree with Jeni in that abortion is not a sin if performed for the right reasons, which to me are only if the mother thinks that she is endangering her life. A conscious person has every right to make decision regarding her life but not that of another being…..abortions for any other reason are more for convenience and yes I would consider them a sin then….

Many people think that it is better to abort a child who has genetic disorders….I disagree with this…..I don't think anyone has the right to play God with a another being….my family friend's unborn baby was diagnosed with some sort disorder that the doctors said would give it very little chance of survival and she had the option of aborting the baby. Needless to say she was shattered but still refused the abortion. Her baby was born healthy…..the docs later found out that her reports had been changed with that of another lady….

To make a long story short, to me abortion in this case meant that u were losing hope….that u have no faith in the Being who u r asking aid from…..every individual bring in the world their own fate…..to abort a child today because one thinks she lacks the basic amenities only to have hit the jackpot in a Lotto the next day….the parents, jobs, people do not provide for a child, God does….

I believe that there is so much one does not know so how can we make a right decision based on incomplete knowledge…
alia thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

truely said by gigli.
a kid by rape maybe aborted as it may remind her of the incident but i think if parents cant afford a childs future they should take certain measures to avoid concieving and am sure u all know there are many ways to do tht. cos abortion not only means killing an innocent being but killing it mercilessly. am sure if u pple knew how they abort a baby u wud agree with me, it gives u goosebumps. my cousin is a gynae in UK and once we were discussing this same topic when she told me how bad it is and some doctors actually cry while doing it. they burn the baby some how inside the womb or else one by one break every limb of the baby and remove it... ok some cases are such tht before concieving the parents are ready but after thr are some complications in tht matter i wud say they shud realise it in the first one and a half month of the pregnancy as the foetus does not really develop into a living being by then after tht i wud say it is a BIG sin.

in the end i wud only say 'yes a womens body is hers and she has every right to do wht she wants with it'... but before doing anything she shud once sit and think whether she is ready to have a kid or not if not then there are other measures to avoid getting pregnant. ofcourse am keeping the rape cases aside thts a completely another thing.

Edited by alia - 19 years ago
bulbuli75 thumbnail
well every rules in soceity must be treated with due respect and firstly the laws of nature . there is a long tussle between a personal freedom , freedom for society , the good , the bad . but me personally think abortion should truly be  a womens decision, provided the doctor agrees . there r many cases abortion may bring medical compliments . it not always offers the curative touch . one should exercise this option as the last alternative . about the point of bringing a deformed child , well sometimes deformity is coupled with a genious . you know, they come in a boquet . and about the rape child , well i think the society must answer that question ."support an abortion or support a raped mother ".
lakhenikita thumbnail

Abortion as an issue has both negatives and positives. I don't think I need to mention them again as you have already written a lot of excellent stuff on it above.

From my piece of mind, I think that though a woman has a right over her own body, a new born child is not a property to be eliminated or governed. It is a union of 2, and as such, the darker sex has a right too in the matter (except in rape cases).

Therefore, I firmly believe that all abortions should be preceded by a counselling session of both parents and the necessary act should be decided upon by the counsellor in cases as under, analyzing the situation.

Rape births-(In this case only the mother should have a say in the matter)

Children with serious deformities

AIDS

Serious risk to the life of the mother

Late pregnancy

Apart from these, cases of premarital pregnancies should be handled sensitively and in the presence of both individuals. Both should have an equal say in the matter. If abortion is decided upon after a sonography, the counsellor must consult the doctor whether the foetus is suffering from a deformity or disease, or whether it is a gender-termination case. If so, the parents must be penalised and the abortion condemned.

In a nutshell, the cause for the abortion must be known in black and white before it is carried out.

---Nikita

swadeshi2005 thumbnail
Why is it that we always have to justify everything? What a woman faces a man will never know. If you ask a woman what she feels during the 9 months aside the emotions of being a mother she will surely say - help.

Life is precious and ensuring the survival of life is most important. The 9 months are just the beginning because the raising up of the child into a grown individual is the true challenge.

As a victim of rape or financial difficulty if a mother decides for abortion she is not wrong. If survival of the mother is at risk and questionable then abortion is the right choice. We men do rarely step up to the plate.

I was reading an article on cnn.com the other day that concluded that english men do tend to give an ignoring ear to the baby's cry at midnight. Regardless of the article, how many men would be willing to tend to a crying baby as soon as they enter the house from a tiring day at work? Yet we love to discuss abortions - for or against.

I know women personally who have gone for abortion and they are scarred for life. The did what they had as they had no choice but till date they cry without tears remembering someone that they did not see but knew was there.

My opinion on abortion - rather on talking and debating we should lend a hand of support and respect to women - who are humans and are also mothers, to the choices they make and ensure that they always have their rightful freedom to make choices for themselves.