Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jaslove thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Comedy Circus (season 2)

Comedy Circus 2 is a comedy show that is staring its second season on Sony TV, starting April 26, 2008. The show brings together celebrities to perform with professional comedian partners on a highly competitive stage. The show will see popular television actors performing stand–up comedy front of the live audiences.

A promotinal logo image of "Comedy Circus 2".

Host

• Shruti Seth

Judges

Archana Puran Singh
  • Satish Shah

Contestants

Apara Mehta & Shailesh Lodha Krushna Abhishek & Sudesh Lahiri Sayantani Ghosh & Kuldeep Dubey Sucheta Khanna & Salim Afridi Akashdeep Sehgal & Pervez Siddiqui Kamya Panjabi & Rajiv Thakur Rajesh Kumar & Rajeev Nigam
  • Chitrashi Rawat & Rehman Khan
Jaslove thumbnail

Comedy Circus is back!
After the sprawling success of Comedy Circus' first season...the show is all set for the second round, to give the audience a dose of laughter once again!!!

'I am an apt Judge for Comedy Circus2'- Satish Shah
Everyone's favourite comedian, Satish Shah returns to judge the second season of Comedy

Jaslove thumbnail

Comedy has been integral to entertainment television in India ever since the early 1980s. A quarter of a century later, soaps, serials, thrillers, game shows and reality television have all but cornered comedy into a dry spot.  India has been regaled with several successful sitcoms such as Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi, Dekh Bhai Dekh, Shriman Shrimti, Tu Tu Main Main, Wagle Ki Duniya, Hum Paanch, Zabaan Sambhal Ke, Hum Sab Ek Hain and Office Office for years on end. Of the most recent, Ekta Kapoor's first sitcom Hum Paanch was a resounding success, which ran for five years and delivered rocking ratings. But no longer is there any sitcom worth its chuckle. They seem to have been replaced with 'laughter' competitions, popularly called laughter challenges.

Star One has had a series of laughter challenge editions in the last couple of years. Sony is launching the second season of Comedy Circus next week. Sahara One has a laughter show called Comedy Champions while SAB, which has a strong brand association with comedy has recently launched Comedy Ka King Kaun?  When there is audience for light entertainment and comedy, why are channels ignoring comic serials completely?

"Nobody is writing good comedies," rues well-known film and television comedienne Archana Puran Singh of Mr Ya Mrs and Shriman Shrimati fame. Agrees popular comedy actor Satish Shah of Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi and Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai fame, "These days I hardly come across a good script for comedy." Archana feels there are not many good writers of comedy. "There has always been a shortage of sitcom writers and that is why we have had only few successful comedies," she adds.

Rajeev Mehra, producer-director of Zaban Sambhal Ke and Office Office feels that comedy is the "most difficult art because each episode has one story and each story has to have an optimum impact."
The channels don't agree that comedies have been pushed into the wings. Star India's senior creative director Anupama Mandloi is clear that, "Television programming is largely dictated by trend. Daily soaps are the strong eyeball grabbers and lately reality TV has been doing very well. It's a matter of time before sitcoms also make a comeback. Our weekend show Baa Bahu Aur Baby is a light soap that has lot of tongue-in-cheek humour. It is not a sitcom but it is a light entertainer with slice of life."

Sony's business head Albert Almeida finds that the lack of good scripts make the job of making great comedies difficult. But it's not that there are no writers around to script comedies. SAB TV has a few popular sitcoms at prime time, including the laugh-riot FIR. "There is a huge market for comedies," says SAB's business head Anooj Kapoor. According to Anooj, in the last two years, several films that scored at the box-office have been comedies like Lage Raho Munnabhai, Golmaal, Dhamaal, Dhol, Bhagam Bhag, Khosla Ka Ghosla, Bheja Fry, No Entry, Partner and Welcome.

"The same audience watches television as well. I don't understand why most GE channels are ignoring comedies.   They believe that the numbers come from daily fiction but I firmly believe that in the current market scenario, the numbers also come for comedies," says Anooj. Sahara One's creative head Kalyan Sundaram also believes that comedies have good market. "Having strengthened our weekday fiction band, we are now looking at launching two sitcoms in June," he says.

Kalyan says while soaps are watched mainly by women, comedies are generally watched by men. "Lately reality shows have been the favourite among male viewers and once reality TV saturates the trend may change in favour of comedies," he feels. Meanwhile in the absence of comedies, channels are making best use of laughter shows to woo male audience. "Be it comedies or laughter shows, they fulfill the same need because the emotions that come out of both are same," feels Albert. Anooj is of the view that making a laughter show is a lot easier than sitcom. Albert however, disagrees, "What the stand-up comedians and actors have is their comic skill. But lot of creative back up is needed to make a show work."

http://deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#Where %20have%20sitcoms%20gone?

Jaslove thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Surprise surprise!!! No elimination in Comedy Circus this week.
Good news for all the contestants on Comedy Circus as no one gets eliminated from the show this week...Read to know more...

Jaslove thumbnail

Sayantani's partner leaves her in the lurch
Due to ego clashes, Kuldeep Dubey, Sayantani's partner in Comedy Circus 2 decided to walk out of the show. Does Sayantani get to remain on the show or not? Read to find out....

Jaslove thumbnail

Akashdeep turns Archana Puran Singh in Comedy Circus..
Watch the rib-tickling role reversal episode in Comedy Circus this Saturday, May 19th...

Jaslove thumbnail

|  

Back | Next

The Sexiest Hosts on Television

Shruti Seth
Show: Comedy Circus on Sony TV

Why she is popular: Shruti has been hosting television and music shows on Channel [V] for quite some time now. A model, she has even dabbled in movies in bit parts in Fanaa and Ta Ra Rum Pum.

Back | Next
language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> if ((navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1) || (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('firefox'))) { OAS_AD('Position3'); } else { da(336, 100, 'Position3'); } $649 Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop with 15.4' Hi-Def Widescreen Display. Yours Is Here.

language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>"); } //-->

Edited by Jaslove - 15 years ago
Jaslove thumbnail

People come to beat me up

Kamya Punjabi, one of the meanest women on TV today started her career with small time roles in films and later on serials like Astitva, Ek Prem Kahani. It was Banoo Main Teri Dulhan which won her laurels for her acting. Kamya is also staking her claim to comedy by doing a stand-up act in Comedy Circus. With so much on her plate Kamya is at a very exciting stage professionally.

Tellychakkar met up with her to know more on the new twist in Banoo Mai Teri Dulhan, her character in the show and her career.

What is the response you get for your character Sindhura?

People take it personally and I don't understand how they cannot distinguish between real and reel. People come to beat me when they see me on the roads. I avoid going out in public as many a times people have attacked me. I find it embarrassing.

Your new avatar is very elegant in Banoo Mai Teri Dulhan. Do you style yourself for the show?

I am very much involved with my styling in Banoo Mai Teri Dulhan. I sit with my producer and discuss the way I want to look. I was the one who decided on the full sleeved blouse and new hair style for Sindhura's character. I take time out and go shopping with my designer and pick saris that I wear for the show. In my free time of two hours, I pick thirty saris for the entire month in the show. Why just styling, I am involved with everything to do with Sindhura. Whether it is my dialogues, the script or any other thing to do with my character but I don't interfere with other actor's scenes. I am extra prudent about my styling for the show because my character Sindhura is big today. People know me as Sindhura.

Are you comfortable with the time leap that the show has taken?

Yes, because at least the show is not boring people by dragging the same story. The story of Banoo Mai Teri Dulhan has always been on a fast pace. If one thing ended, the other began. There was not a single episode in the show where story was not moving. I have no problem playing a character which is older than me as long as it makes sense.

So far, how has your journey been in Banoo Mai Teri Dulhan and who is your favourite co-actor from the show?

I have worked so hard for the show and have been so dedicated to the show that it has become close to my heart. The entire team of this show is like my family. From the time this show started, I have spent less time with my own family and more time with its team. So the show's set has become my home and its members have become my family.

Sharad Malhotra is my favourite co-actor in the show. I adore him.

Tell us about your show Comedy Circus?

I consider myself lucky to have got an opportunity to do Comedy Circus. There is so much negativity in my character of Banoo Mai Teri Dulhan that a show like this was needed. It gives me creative satisfaction and a feeling of content as I am doing different type of things.

Who is your best friend from the TV industry?

Kavita Kaushik who is seen on the show FIR is my best friend from the TV industry as well as from whole world wide. I have made many nice friends in the industry. Outside the industry I am also very close to my cousin sister. I can't stay without speaking to her even for a single day.

Article: Source: Tellychakkar.com
Jaslove thumbnail
Article: Source: Tellychakkar.com

Juhi Parmar in and out of Comedy Circus 2

There's something really 'wild' about Juhi Parmar. Last year, she was supposed to enter as the wild card and the eleventh contestant mid-way through Nach Baliye 3 but had to back out after other contestants took offence to this largesse. In 2008, Juhi accepted this largesse from Sony's Comedy Circus 2 but was eliminated on the first day itself.

A reliable source informs, "Juhi Parmar and last year's finalist VIP (Vijay Ishwarlal Pawar) were given a wild card entry. Expectedly, VIP's entry raised a few brows among other contestants but the duo was eventually allowed to perform. However, it was a short stay for them as they were eliminated on their first day of shoot."

Adding further our source says, "The theme for that episode was 'C' grade. VIP impersonated Mahesh Bhatt while Juhi played a 'C' grade actress. This pair was doing perfectly fine till VIP forgot his dialogues as he paid too much attention to his itching act. This inevitably led to their elimination."

Well, all is not lost for this pair as they can still make their way back via the wild card episode, wherein all the previous eliminated jodis will perform to remain in the final four. The three jodis that have booked their place in the final three are Rajiv Thakur-Kamya Punjabi, Shailesh Lodha-Apara Mehta and Krushna-Sudesh Lahiri. The next fortnight will see the elimination of Chitrashi-Rehman Khan and Rajesh Kumar and Rajiv Nigam.