Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jaslove thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

ABOUT THE SHOW

It's battle of wits, pun & quips on 'Comedy Circus'

'Comedy Circus' is a unique reality-based comedy format show that brings together celebrities to perform with professional comedian partners on a highly competitive stage. The show will see 7 popular television actors teaming up to train under 7 well-known stand'up comedians and together they will make the viewers laugh like never before. The contestants will perform before a live studio audience and of course millions of viewers across the country.

Seen on this show will be some of India's favorite television celebrities - saucy Urvashi (Komolika) Dholakia, stage-cum-television actor Ketaki (ar ar arrrr..) Dave, sexy Karishma Tanna, cute and sweet Ali (Kamal) Asgar, ever popular Kiran (Om) Karmarkar, chocolate boy Swapnil Joshi and the versatile Varun Badola'who team up with well-known stand'up comedians like Shakeel Ahmed Siddiqui, VIP, Deepak Dutta, Pratap Faujdar, Khayali Saharan, Kashif Khan and Sunil Sanwra to leave you in splits with their gags and wit. For those who have watched these celebrities sing, dance & cry...now watch them reverse the roles in the new laugh riot 'Comedy Circus' where Jodi Jamegi, Public Hassegi!

These unusual jodis will compete for the top position of 'Comedy Circus' over 13 weeks. Every week the judges and the studio audiences will nominate 2 of the weakest jodis, one of whom will be voted out by the remaining participants themselves, until the announcement of the ultimate jodi!

The panel of two judges consists of famous comedian Satish Shahand the awesome Archana Puran Singh! The bubbly and cheerful Shruti Sheth will host the show and will be instrumental in motivating and encouraging the jodis week after week.

Jaslove thumbnail

http://www.bollywoodblog.com/category/TV/Sony-Entertainment- Television-(SET)-kicks-off-Comedy-Circus-Mumbai/

Sony Entertainment Television (SET) kicks-off 'Comedy Circus', Mumbai.
Filed under: TV    
Posted: Jun 11th 2007 by Kimaya De
Sony Entertainment Television (SET) kicks-off 'Comedy Circus'

Sony Entertainment Television (SET) is gearing up for 'Comedy Circus', a unique reality-based comedy format show which will see popular celebrities teaming up with well-known professional comedian to perform on stage for the audiences and of course the SET viewers.

So get ready to enjoy celebs Urvashi Dholakia, Ketaki Dave, Karishma Tanna, Ali Asgar, Kiran Karmarkar, Swapnil Joshi and Varun Badola team up with comedians Shakeel Ahmed Siddiqui, VIP, Annu Mudgul, Pratap Faujdar, Khayali Saharan, Kashif Khan and Sunil Sawara to entertain you on 'Comedy Circus' on SET.

Jaslove thumbnail

http://www.newkerala.com/news5.php?action=fullnews&id=38 210

Reality show 'Comedy Circus' joins the league

New Delhi, June 12: Indian television's seven popular actors along with seven well-known stand-up comedians will perform live and tickle the funny bones of audiences in 'Comedy Circus', a comedy reality show starting June 16.

The new laugh riot with the tag line 'Jodi jamegi, public hassegi' will be aired every Saturday at 9.30 p.m. on Sony Entertainment Television.

"Optimystix is a leading independent content creation company and it has always tried to push the envelope a little further. We are trying to maintain the same this time as well," Gurpal Singh, content writer of 'Comedy Circus' said Tuesday.

The unusual pairs will compete for the top position over a period of 13 weeks. Every week, judges and the studio audiences will nominate two weakest pairs, one of whom will be voted out by the remaining participants, until the announcement of the ultimate pair.

"With 'Comedy Circus', Sony brings to its viewers a unique and original comedy format that teams professional actors with professional comedians taking comedy to an all new level of entertainment," said Albert Almeida, executive vice president and business head of Sony Entertainment Television.

"The channel has always presented entertaining weekends to the viewers and this show is yet another trendsetter in variety entertainment," he added.

The panel of judges consists of famous actors-cum-comedians Satish Shah and Archana Puran Singh. The cheerful Shruti Seth will host the show.

--- IANS < =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

By Archana Sinha

Shakeel Ahmed, a famous Pakistani stand-up comedian, sets the benchmark for professionalism. Recently, while rehearsing for the television show Comedy Circus, he was informed that his son had fallen seriously ill. He flew back to Pakistan to be by his son's side for a few days and then returned for rehearsals. His son is still in the hospital. "His condition is better than before now. I hope he is well on the road to recovery," says Shakeel, sounding relieved.

A representative from the channel said, "An artiste of his stature could have thrown a fit saying he didn't need to rehearse and would come a day before the shooting began. But he was very cooperative." Shakeel doesn't let the praise go to his head. "It's my job to honour commitments."

www.deccan.com

shruti thumbnail

Rajesh Kumar, aka Roshesh in Sarabhai vs Sarabhai, recently turned down Sony's offer to participate in Comedy Circus citing lack of dates as the reason, "I did not have the dates for the show. So, it would have been unfair if I committed," he says. Modestly brushing off the accolades he has received for his superb comic act in Sarabhai..., Rajesh says, "It was a risky proposal because comedy is a serious business. I didn't know if I would be able to meet the audience's expectations." At the same time, the actor confirms that he has been signed up for an adventure show by Zee TV. However, he is reluctant to divulge details about the show.

www.deccan.com

shruti thumbnail
High temperature, no problem
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   June 23, 2007
Urvashi Dholakia reports for the shooting of Comedy Circus inspite of her ill-health

NO TEMPERATURE TANTRUMS: Urvashi Dholakia with partner
Shakeel Ahmed

Urvashi Dholakia is taking Sony's new show Comedy Circus a bit too seriously.

On Monday, she arrived for the shoot despite running a high temperature. As a result, she collapsed on the sets and had to be rushed to Goel Nursing Home, Marol.

A source from the unit reveals, "Everybody panicked when Urvashi fainted, so we rushed her to a nearby nursing home. She recovered in two hours and once again reported for shooting later in the day!"

Viral infection

Urvashi says that this is not the first time such a thing has happened to her.

"The television industry functions this way. Actors have no choice but to continue shooting. Regardless, I am passionate about my work. It keeps my spirits high even when I am unwell.

It's demanding, but it's also fun. Yes, I did give them cause to worry, but I am better now," she says.

Urvashi was given an intravenous glucose drip while in the nursing home. "My blood platelets count had dropped, and they suspected pneumonia since I had a congested throat and nose.

Thankfully, the pneumonia test came negative. They later confirmed it was a viral infection. I am still taking antibiotics. In few days time, I should be perfectly fine," Urvashi says.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/june/159787.htm
shruti thumbnail

Johny Lever joins Comedy Circus

Johny Lever has joined the Comedy Circus team as a judge with Archana Puran Singh and Satish Shah. This Saturday, June 23, the second episode of Comedy Circus will have Johny Lever be part of the judgement. All the jodi's are in full swing and geared up to perform in front of the judges and live audience to make them laugh and leave them in splits. The Jodi's (tv celebrity & stand up comedian) competing are — Urvashi Dholakia & Shakeel Ahmed, Kiran Karmarkar & Sunil Sawara, Karishma Tanna & Khayali, Ketaki Dave & Pratap Fauzdar, Swapnil Joshi & VIP, Ali Asgar & Kashif Khan, Varun Badola & Deepak Dutta.
So stay tuned to COMEDY CIRCUS on Saturday, June 23 at 9.30 p.m. as one jodi is eliminated this week and watch out for the funniest man — Johny Lever crack some witty lines!

http://www.cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=xtras&am p;subsection=showbuzz&xfile=June2007_tvnews_standard217& amp;child=tvnews

shruti thumbnail
Archana Puran Singh – Fit, Fine and Funny

Bollywood actress and television host Archana Puran Singh is back on the small screen as a judge on Sony's Comedy Circus. But rather than concentrating on the participants, everyone are raving about Archana's new and glamourous look on the show - looking thinner and fitter. We asked the actress if any credit should go to her hubby Parmeet, who himself is sporting a much thinner frame these days.

"Husbands look at others wives and girlfriends... Apni ghar ki murgi toh dal barabar hoti hai na. Actually, the thing is as you start becoming senior you pay more attention on your clothes, hair and make up. First I never bothered that much about how I looked or how my hair was done. Also I think my hairdresser and my make up artist are very hard working and they ensure that I look this good. You know I create an optical illusion by wearing the right dress and the kind of effort that is done on us makes us look like this. If you saw us without any of this - make up or lighting or our stylists, we look very average. It has nothing to do with Parmeet!"

Archana and Parmeet are strong supporters of Baba Ramdev's yoga and are known to follow a strict routine that has helped the actress achieve weight loss.   "It's true that I used to do a lot of yoga and go for my walks and when I was working out I used to tell everyone very proudly. But right now I've been so unwell and my back has given me trouble. So I have been off any kind of exercise including yoga… My hemoglobin had also gone down, so I was made to eat rich food and now I have put on weight. In fact I keep telling everyone that only concentrate on my face and don't go any lower!" says the ever-jovial Singh.

In addition to her television show, Archana says she is quite busy wrapping up her movies. "I'm looking forward to my movie with Basu Bhattacharya called Ek Ladki Bholi Bhali Si which stars Anupam Kher, Satish Kaushik, Moushmi Chatterji. It will be released soon. There is also another movie called Rafoo Chakkar, which stars Mita Vashisht and me. It's about aging women who get married to young men. I'm also working on four pictures right now and few are ready for release. I'm currently working on a movie called Good Luck, which stars Aryaman, Sayali Bhagat and I am playing a role of a mad fortuneteller. So I've taken on some very funny and different roles. And I'm really glad that comedy films are getting a new life once again."

Speaking about fortunetellers, do you believe in astrology Archana?

"I think every person will agree that when the need arises then we bend towards religion, start believing in God and going to temples as well as in astrology… when we are in some need or are preparing for an exam or job. You know sometimes someone will tell me why don't you take some guidance from an astrologer? And there have been times when I have got great answers, which are so close to the truth that they keep me stunned. But I don't think in my everyday life I follow it like I don't read my daily or weekly horoscope. The role that I'm playing is very different, very funny and I have based my character in the movie on some very funky and different kind of tarot readers that I have met."

http://news.indya.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2007/June/News_ 20070622_106

shruti thumbnail
'I am good hence I am nowhere'

Actor Varun Badola seems to be unlucky with reality shows. His exit from 'Nach Baliye' which was least expected had caused much uproar and debate then. Even now, the viewer hadn't expected his early elimination from 'Comedy Circus'.

But Varun calmly says, "Well, someone had to go. I had entered on a clean slate - to do something I haven't done before without bothering about the results. And it wasn't as if I was unaware of the format.

In fact, when the other contestants were saying that they did not want to cast a vote against any of their co-contestants, I could read their face that they were talking about me. I felt like saying, 'I have the heart to hear it, so just say it'".

But tell him that the dejection on his face was clear for even a blind man to see, he explains, "Maybe it did not hurt me then. It struck me a day later." So does he feel that his talent is going against his success on reality shows?

Varun laughs, "I am good hence I am nowhere." On a serious note, he says, "I don't know if my talent is against me but yes I can definitely say that I am talented enough to be considered a threat by my co-contestants".

On asking him what could have gone against him this time, he says, "They have brutally edited my skit. Plus, my partner Deepak Dutta was replaced just a day before the performance. So we had just one day for rehearsals; and he wasn't even feeling well that day. But we didn't make noise about it.

My only problem with him was that I could not judge his comedy timing and his strong points. But these cannot be excuses. If one is destined to go, then he will."

Varun had indeed worked hard for the show. He had not only prepared for the coming weeks, but also would write his own lines. "I had rehearsed for about five acts. But now I shall not be able to perform them. Maybe I will use it for one of my scripts sometime later," says a visibly dejected Varun.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1105950