Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Connie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

IPL is not cricket.. but its a kind of dhobi ghat.. 11 overpaid dhobi's are sent out to do some dhulai.. and come back... nobody cares if they are playing elegant strokes.... so its more of entertainment.. that also explains presence of SRK, Preity and others in the sponsorship...

dhobi's that was too funny 😆 and Srk, Preity and Vijay are all owners of these extremely talented dhobi's 😳

btw those of you who don't have dish tv or set max.... you can also watch it live, can't post the link on IF.. but send me a pm 😛 will be glad to help 😉
Edited by Connie - 16 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Common Cheerup Girls👏👏👏 Har ball pe ek ek 4 ya 6 mangta hey......to watch Cheerup girls😆

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Kings XI Punjab v Mumbai Indians, IPL, Mohali

Harbhajan and Sreesanth in row

April 25, 2008

Sreesanth and Harbhajan Singh: Not quite the best of friends any more (file photo) AFP

The Indian Premier League faced its first on-field controversy with allegations that Harbhajan Singh hit Sreesanth, his India team-mate and IPL rival, after Friday's match between the Kings XI Punjab and the Mumbai Indians in Mohali. While Yuvraj Singh, Sreesanth's captain, said Harbhajan had apologised after the incident, it remains to be seen how the IPL will handle it as a disciplinary issue.

Sreesanth, who took two wickets for Punjab, was spotted in tears after the match - which his side won - and later confirmed the incident to Cricinfo.

Sources close to him said that after the match a smiling Sreesanth walked up to Harbhajan - the captain of the losing Mumbai Indians - and said "Hard luck". "That was enough for Harbhajan to lose his cool and hit Sreesanth under the eye," said sources close to the fast bowler.

Harbhajan refused to answer questions on the incident at the post-match press conference. "Can we have questions on just cricket," he said in response to questions relating to the incident. His opposing captain, however, was clear in his view. "This is really an ugly incident," Yuvraj said, "this is totally unacceptable." He added, though, that Harbhajan had visited the dressing-room after the match and apologised to Sreesanth.

"At the end of the day, players shake hands. But today we saw more that from Harbhajan and Sreesanth," said Tom Moody, the Punjab coach. "The positive thing is that Harbhajan had a long chat with Sreesanth. But I am not sure what ramifications this incident will have." Cricinfo has learnt that Sreesanth complained about the incident to officials of the Mohali franchise, including co-owners Preity Zinta and Ness Wadia.

However, IS Bindra, the president of the Punjab Cricket Association, denied an official complaint has been lodged. "Some media people have asked me about this incident. No official complaint has reached me yet. I believe what happens on the field should be sorted out by the players on the field itself," Bindra told Cricinfo. Later Sreesanth told reporters at the stadium that "nothing serious happened" and that he and Harbhajan were "still part of the national team".

On-field relations between Harbhajan and Sreesanth appeared strained during the India-South Africa Test series as well. Sreesanth had dropped Hashim Amla off Harbhajan during the Chennai Test to which Harbhajan reacted with displeasure after which he was seen motioning towards Sreesanth after making a diving save at point.

This is the second time in the last six months that Harbhajan has been at the centre of controversy. Earlier this year the Australians accused him of racially abusing Andrew Symonds during the Test series Down Under.

Ajay Shankar is deputy editor of Cricinfo in Bangalore

Connie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
^^ Thanks for the article...I watched the match yesterday and for sometime I too was puzzled cos Sreeesanth cried so much, firstly I thought maybe cos they won since they lost last 2 matched but the tears just could not stop.... then all the news channels had this breaking news of Harbhajan slapping Sreesanth and Yuvraj Singh confirmed it...this was really sad after all these players play for India, they are one team even though this IPL is going on they can't shift their main focus...I hated the fact that something like this was not just settled on the ground, and it turned out to be such an ugly incident.

Both Harbhajan and Sreesanth are agressive and I liked the way they played in Australia, I wish their friendly spirit would continue 😊