Debate Mansion

IPL: cricket v entertainment

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago

I watched the IPL inaugural match y'day...

A grand opening ceremony, Bollywood naach gaana, SRK bobbing up and down in the VIP area, lots of colour and extravaganza...

A banner held by a young man that caught my eye read "I am here to watch the girls dancing and not cricket"πŸ˜†

So what in you opinion will make IPL a success- (or is it still early days to say that?)- cricket or the entertainment??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Its actuly a Mixture of Bussiness ,entertainment and sports...
πŸ˜ƒ

I feel sad about RC..poor dravid...unlucky guy.... πŸ˜•
Connie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
It's like a bollywood masala flick 😳 lots of glamour πŸ˜›
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I think it is the entertainment factor that makes IPL. Kind of like the superbowl. Its more about the beer, snacks and girls rather than the actual game. Although it feels better when your team wins. It will take a long time to build partisan team loyalty like in Premier Soccer leagues or NHL,NFL - we as Indians view sports as a national pride thing and that is a tough mold to break.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
IPL is not cricket.. but its a kind of dhobi ghat.. 11 overpaid dhobi's are sent out to do some dhulai.. and come back... nobody cares if they are playing elegant strokes.... so its more of entertainment.. that also explains presence of SRK, Preity and others in the sponsorship...
TallyHo thumbnail
@ overpaid dhobis... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

talking of the dhobis...our Indian dhobis dont seem to have clicked in any match so far...
TallyHo thumbnail

SRK's barb code!

Owner of Kolkata Knight Riders, Shah Rukh Khan has gone all out to make nasty comments against Yuvraj Singh and other rival IPL team players on his website

Kunal M Shah

Shah Rukh Khan is at it again. The actor, who is known for his wicked sense of humour, just can't seem to stop making digs at his rivals at various public platforms. In the past, SRK made digs at Amitabh Bachchan's good friend Amar Singh and during this year's Filmfare award SRK didn't spare too many colleagues, including Akshay Kumar.

And SRK never seems to fall short of people he can make fun of. Now, the actor has a new ground to cover - the Indian Premier League. Naturally, the actor (who owns the Kolkata Knight Riders) is jubilant about his team winning the first ever IPL match against Dr Vijay Mallya's team, Bangalore Royal Challengers on Friday.

Now on the website of his team
www.kolkataknightriders.com, Shah Rukh has made fun of all the rival teams including that of MS Dhoni, Shane Warne and VVS Laxman who represent Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals and Hyderabad Deccan Chargers respectively.

Not only has SRK made digs at the rival teams but also cricket legends and former Indian captain, Krishnamachari Srikanth who was the highest scorer when India won the World Cup in 1983.

The other nasty dig that SRK has made is on Lalchand Rajput who incidentally was the coach in-charge of the victorious Indian team for the T20 World Cup. SRK has insulted Rajput by putting his picture on an advertisement on the website with the heading 'Waste book', which says: 'If, like former team manager Lalchand Rajput, you suddenly find yourself with plenty of free time, don't despair.'

Preity Zinta with Kings XI Punjab players

However, the dig that takes the cake is a magazine cover called Chicinfo where SRK has not even spared his close friend Yuvraj Singh. The cover page has Yuvraj Singh's picture with a South Indian actress and reads: 'Yuvraj Singh seen with someone who looks like Katrina Kaif', 'Yuvraj Singh seen with Deepika Padukone' and even 'Yuvraj Singh parties with Jessica Simpson'. There is one more 'advertisement' which says: 'When you have good looks and great style, nobody really cares about performance when it matters. Just ask Yuvraj Singh.' Incidentally, Yuvraj is the captain of Preity Zinta's IPL team, Kings XI Punjab.

SRK has even made fun of cricketers who had a great domestic career but could not shine on the international level. The digs imply that if one has Memo Boost!, which is a memory enhancing tablet they will even remember '... insignificant things like the careers of forgotten cricketers like Ajay Sharma, Noel David and Bharathi Arun!'

Well, one thing is for sure. These tricks will certainly not help SRK win any matches but it will definitely leave a bad taste in the opponent's mouth.

Vampire26 thumbnail
ipl is just cashing entertainment mania i saw the match of knr and rc and i felt it was not cricket but some sort of function where a team badshah is celebrating and cheering girls r dancing and those different and designer made coustumes its just for money and fame
in this a player is def not goin to show his talent but what r we goin to get is just fun its not a real cricket but just glamour which is now been seen in cricket
ipl will be famous but cricket hs certainly lost its charm and all i can say is cricket is no more gulli danda its for money its full of insecurities and is full of bidding and match fixing 😊

but still i say go knightriderss πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Vampire26 thumbnail
Originally posted by: TallyHo

SRK's barb code!

Owner of Kolkata Knight Riders, Shah Rukh Khan has gone all out to make nasty comments against Yuvraj Singh and other rival IPL team players on his website

Kunal M Shah

Shah Rukh Khan is at it again. The actor, who is known for his wicked sense of humour, just can't seem to stop making digs at his rivals at various public platforms. In the past, SRK made digs at Amitabh Bachchan's good friend Amar Singh and during this year's Filmfare award SRK didn't spare too many colleagues, including Akshay Kumar.

And SRK never seems to fall short of people he can make fun of. Now, the actor has a new ground to cover - the Indian Premier League. Naturally, the actor (who owns the Kolkata Knight Riders) is jubilant about his team winning the first ever IPL match against Dr Vijay Mallya's team, Bangalore Royal Challengers on Friday.

Now on the website of his team
www.kolkataknightriders.com, Shah Rukh has made fun of all the rival teams including that of MS Dhoni, Shane Warne and VVS Laxman who represent Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals and Hyderabad Deccan Chargers respectively.

Not only has SRK made digs at the rival teams but also cricket legends and former Indian captain, Krishnamachari Srikanth who was the highest scorer when India won the World Cup in 1983.

The other nasty dig that SRK has made is on Lalchand Rajput who incidentally was the coach in-charge of the victorious Indian team for the T20 World Cup. SRK has insulted Rajput by putting his picture on an advertisement on the website with the heading 'Waste book', which says: 'If, like former team manager Lalchand Rajput, you suddenly find yourself with plenty of free time, don't despair.'

Preity Zinta with Kings XI Punjab players

However, the dig that takes the cake is a magazine cover called Chicinfo where SRK has not even spared his close friend Yuvraj Singh. The cover page has Yuvraj Singh's picture with a South Indian actress and reads: 'Yuvraj Singh seen with someone who looks like Katrina Kaif', 'Yuvraj Singh seen with Deepika Padukone' and even 'Yuvraj Singh parties with Jessica Simpson'. There is one more 'advertisement' which says: 'When you have good looks and great style, nobody really cares about performance when it matters. Just ask Yuvraj Singh.' Incidentally, Yuvraj is the captain of Preity Zinta's IPL team, Kings XI Punjab.

SRK has even made fun of cricketers who had a great domestic career but could not shine on the international level. The digs imply that if one has Memo Boost!, which is a memory enhancing tablet they will even remember '... insignificant things like the careers of forgotten cricketers like Ajay Sharma, Noel David and Bharathi Arun!'

Well, one thing is for sure. These tricks will certainly not help SRK win any matches but it will definitely leave a bad taste in the opponent's mouth.

i love srk but his insecurities will make him bad in others eyes and i dont want that😭

so true for that πŸ˜†yuvraj givin more attention on stupid actress and playin less😑

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I think it is the entertainment factor that makes IPL. Kind of like the superbowl. Its more about the beer, snacks and girls rather than the actual game. Although it feels better when your team wins. It will take a long time to build partisan team loyalty like in Premier Soccer leagues or NHL,NFL - we as Indians view sports as a national pride thing and that is a tough mold to break.

So true! I just watched Ricky Ponting run up to give Ishant Sharma some advice before Ishant bowled and my first reaction was "How dare he?" πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

@ Qwerty - Let the phirangee dhobis earn their keep πŸ˜†