Remixes need 2 be done properly:Manna Dey

Barnali thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Remixes need to be done properly: Manna Dey
By MIO Team
Mar 21, 2008, 08:24

Bangalore (PTI): Remixes can be good if done properly otherwise they end up as "nonsense" stuff, according to veteran Bollywood singer Manna Dey. "If remixes are done properly, they are good. Otherwise, they are just nonsense," he said during the launch of a DVD featuring original video songs of his.

"It is a new and different experience for me. Thanks to technology, such things are possible today. Sitting at home, my listeners can listen to old melodies," he said after unveiling the first copy of Shemaroo Entertainment's "Ultimate Unremix" here.

Humming some lines from his famous "Laga chunari mein daag, chupaon kaise", he said "The song, directed by late friend Roshan, is one of my most prized ones. It is one of the rare songs made for films. The song is a must at all my performances both in India and abroad."

"A difficult, classical melody, I put my heart and soul into the song. I have been singing for the past 60 years and whatever I have sung, I have sung with sincerity," the nonagenarian singer said.

Responding to a query on the song that required quite a bit of effort from him, Dey said "It is the song from 'Kabuliwala' -- 'Ae mere pyare watan, ae mere ujale chaman, tujh pe dil qurban'. "I had to sing this song from one corner of my throat, to convey the beautiful sentiments expressed in it," he said.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/2537/

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Good to know thoughts of a great person...

Actaully i feel they try to remix old songs in such a way that it can be used in Clubs or as dance number..

They feel in today's generation there is no one or in few numbers to listen soft song, song which can be heard while having tea or sitting by sea side.

nidhi2013 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
thanx di for article 😊

i personally feel that remix isnt option to make present generation listening old songs...by remixing songs they r killing it ..n all rhythm ka satyanaash ho jaata hainπŸ˜•.they can use technology in proper way without remixing it 😊 like giving effect of modern music without loosing charm of old songs 😳 Edited by nidhi2013 - 16 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Nonsense stuff! πŸ˜† Agree with him 100%!
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I think it is a real tribute to this man that even now, people are struggling to sing his "laaga chunari mein daag" in contest after contest. Wonder how he feels when he sees all these kids trying to sing such a monumental song.
Bhaskar.T thumbnail

Originally posted by: Barnali

If remixes are done properly, they are good. Otherwise, they are just nonsense,

And unfortunately 90% of the time they are done improperly πŸ˜† πŸ˜† So end result "Nonsense". Agreed fully to him. πŸ˜†

ritzbitz thumbnail

Originally posted by: Barnali

Remixes need to be done properly: Manna Dey
By MIO Team
Mar 21, 2008, 08:24

Bangalore (PTI): Remixes can be good if done properly otherwise they end up as "nonsense" stuff, according to veteran Bollywood singer Manna Dey. "If remixes are done properly, they are good. Otherwise, they are just nonsense," he said during the launch of a DVD featuring original video songs of his.

"It is a new and different experience for me. Thanks to technology, such things are possible today. Sitting at home, my listeners can listen to old melodies," he said after unveiling the first copy of Shemaroo Entertainment's "Ultimate Unremix" here.

Humming some lines from his famous "Laga chunari mein daag, chupaon kaise", he said "The song, directed by late friend Roshan, is one of my most prized ones. It is one of the rare songs made for films. The song is a must at all my performances both in India and abroad."

"A difficult, classical melody, I put my heart and soul into the song. I have been singing for the past 60 years and whatever I have sung, I have sung with sincerity," the nonagenarian singer said.

Responding to a query on the song that required quite a bit of effort from him, Dey said "It is the song from 'Kabuliwala' -- 'Ae mere pyare watan, ae mere ujale chaman, tujh pe dil qurban'. "I had to sing this song from one corner of my throat, to convey the beautiful sentiments expressed in it," he said.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/2537/

can someone plz enlighten me on the highlited part. never heard or read before. how can one sing from one corner of throat ?

ritzbitz thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bhaskar.T

And unfortunately 90% of the time they are done improperly πŸ˜† πŸ˜† So end result "Nonsense". Agreed fully to him. πŸ˜†

songs like "kanta laga", "kaliyon ka chaman" " mere berry ke ped mut thodo" were good ones hun! πŸ˜† 

ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
remix according to me is good with some factors-firstly i prefer that the original voices are kept instead of some new person singing.secondly if something new has to be added to cater to younger audiences-it should be a beat or rhythm not just oohs and aahs just to make it sound sensuous.most of them sound vulgar and videos-well you can't see them with family.
-shehzaadi- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I think very few people know that what are popularly known as remixes in India are actually not remixes. When they get new singers to sing old songs and produce the sound again, it's technically not a remix. A remix is when you take an original song and add to it.

I heard one attempt where they actually did take Kishore da's original rendition and remixed it, but they did it so badly that it was just noise. When mixing two sounds, you have to make sure that they actually go together, which many modern "DJs" don't do (probably because they've already gone deaf from listening to loud music). Generally old songs just don't sound good in remixes because they were not digitally recorded.

Secondly, in old songs, the lyrics actually had meaning. So it is important not to add sounds that contradict the meaning. Many times people speed up sad songs and add dance beats to it. It may even sound good in terms of rhythm and melody, but with the lyrics it just makes no sense. I've heard one such remix of the song "Hum tumse juda hoke mar jayenge ro ro ke". Now how in the world can that be a fast song?

Wow that ended up being so long. actually it's because sound editing is one of my biggest hobbies and I have even made a few remixes myself. But I can't remix older songs, I only make medleys of them.