Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

DOTW - Easy Song Vs Tough Song

kamala_u thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

What do you guys think it is a smart decision to pick a easy song and sing it well or pick a tough song and make an "ok" justice to it. In my personal opinion there should be some consideration given if they pick a tough song because anyone can sing an easy song. Also does anyone know how the kids get the songs assigned, is it like a random pick from a box of chits? or is it the kids preference?  Share your views 😉

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Judges always check whether the "sur" is okay first. I wud rather that a simple song be sung well rather then s tuff song sung badly.

But Sagar sung quite well and yet he was kicked out. Sometimes judges are irrational.

Frankly judges should also generally advise them on song selections. and not advise them during the contest when it is too late. Perhaps because they are not the mentors  they do not feel the responsibility.

gopalbhai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Even Asha Ji asked the participants in ch-7 , why do you choose tough songs?

It is upto the participants to either choose a tough or an easy song. But once chosen you have to do full justice to it. If there are considerations for singing tough songs, then question will come which songs are tough and tough songs will be an easy way out for anybody because anybody can attempt any song even if that is a so called tough song.

In my opinion there is nothing like an easy song or tough song, all are equally tough. You should not sing "nanna munna .." like an ustaad nor should you sing "Sanware... Tere bin Jiya lage na.." like a kiddoo!
Manik_mia thumbnail
When Tanmay was singing "Naine lad gai hain" we enjoyed the song very much. Vishal-Shekhar gave him standing ovation.
But Sonu found a small mistake some where in the sur and gave Tanmay an A. Gave him a lecture too. Does not matter how difficult the song was.

Other times when he sings simple songs he gets A+.

Judges never gives any credit to tough songs.

So it is better to sing simple song with proper sur to get good grades.

Barnali thumbnail
Originally posted by: kamala_u

In my personal opinion there should be some consideration given if they pick a tough song because anyone can sing an easy song.

How to decide then how tough one song is from the other.....three can all sing tough song...and it is usually individuals way of thinking as to which one is more tough. here now again irrational decision may come. The judges see only if the song is in sur taal and all.....they are more going into the technical aspect of the song and feel...so best and smart move is to select the easy one and do full justice.

As to who select the songs.....its the music director/s who is guiding these kids usually do it.

rock&roll thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I agree with Barnalidi and Manik_mia...In competitions it is always better to sing an easy song and do full justice to it.Even if I choose ladki ki kaathi,if I render it flawlessly no one can fault me.But if i choose...Albela sajan, or even something like 'Na jiya lage na' then there is ample scope to fault the singer....These kind of songs have such intricate details and it is a next to impossible task to do full justice to them...Then the judges will get their much wanted opportunity to pounce on the singer......
   But always choosing an easy song can prove to be the singer's undoing ( as in Sagar's case)..He will be blamed for lack of versatility and his weaknesses will come out.
   So the best thing...tread the middle path...take simple ones initially..later on take slightly tougher ones....and never touch old classics of Lataji,Ashaji/Rafisaab.... 😊 Edited by rock&roll - 16 years ago
advil thumbnail

At times there are songs which soound very easy to the ears, but they have many little little harkats which only an expereinced ear can make out. It's our judges who have that ear to figure out the finer points whereas for many of us here we wouldn't even realise it. So when you are singing in front of such expereinced judges, it is better to go with an easy song and do full justice to it, rather than pick a very tough song and falter in it.

But I am sure the judges  will  surely have some points in their marking sheets on  the easyness or toughness of the song and judge and rate accordingly.

Edited by advil - 16 years ago
rock&roll thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: advil

But I am sure the judges  will  surely have some points in their marking sheets on  the easyness or toughness of the song and judge and rate accordingly.

Hope u r right,adi......hope weightage is given to tough songs 😊

Amritavarshini thumbnail
It it true that a simple song sung well is better than a tough song sung badly. But having said that, it is important in a competition to show how well one can sing difficult songs. It is like the diving competition in the Olympics. A diver can make a simple dive and land perfectly without splashing a whole lot of water, and another diver might attempt a very difficult dive and not have the same finish, but there ia a factor given for difficulty and that is taken into account while giving marks.
For eg. Level of difficulty say is a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale
and again on a 1 to 10 scale you have the quality of singing. If a person sang a song with difficulty factor 5 perfectly, they get a 50, while if a person sang a song with difficulty factor 8 and sang it so-so, getting a 7 on the singing ability, they still get a 56.
That is precisely why Vaishali and Sagar got out.
I have judged many music competitions and that is how I give marks. But if a singer attempts a very very difficult song and murders it, he/she gets 10 * 0 and that had happened in a competition that I have judged also!
Manik_mia thumbnail

Originally posted by: Amritavarshini

It it true that a simple song sung well is better than a tough song sung badly. But having said that, it is important in a competition to show how well one can sing difficult songs. It is like the diving competition in the Olympics. A diver can make a simple dive and land perfectly without splashing a whole lot of water, and another diver might attempt a very difficult dive and not have the same finish, but there ia a factor given for difficulty and that is taken into account while giving marks.
For eg. Level of difficulty say is a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale
and again on a 1 to 10 scale you have the quality of singing. If a person sang a song with difficulty factor 5 perfectly, they get a 50, while if a person sang a song with difficulty factor 8 and sang it so-so, getting a 7 on the singing ability, they still get a 56.
That is precisely why Vaishali and Sagar got out.
I have judged many music competitions and that is how I give marks. But if a singer attempts a very very difficult song and murders it, he/she gets 10 * 0 and that had happened in a competition that I have judged also!

This is a great idea. But we do not know how Sonu and Sureshji are grading.

Once we get to top 5 or so, this will be seen more clearly. Let us wait and see. Because uptill now most eliminations we expected also except Barbie (it was too sudden).

I would have liked if judges kept the previous day's scores and combine with Saturday to decide elimination; that means scoring based on 400 not 200.