Posted: 16 years ago
"Birth is by chance but death is definite."

Dr. Palash Sen
Singer

Dr Palash sen, National Network of Education team managed to get in touch with Dr Palash sen with the help of his sister Dahlia Sen Oberoi. We reached his place on 14 august and his wife greeted us very nicely and after waiting for some time here came Palash sen with his churidar and kurta. A very humble and a very down to earth person.

Excerpts from the conversation:

Tell me something about yourself, your career your family background?

I am a fourth generation doctor singer from my family and everybody has been a doctor and a singer in my family I am the first one who has persuaded it on a more serious level specially because there was more requirement of software.

At that time when my parents and grandparents were there, entertainment 
was not looked upon as too much of respect and especially in Bengali household. Bengalis are very proud of education primarily and that's the reason why my grandparents did not pursue music as a their career. They are much better singers than I am. My mother is a doctor too though my mother's side no one is much in to music except my youngest massi she is a double M.A in music; but they all have a good musical ear. I was also encouraged to study I think the education was primary, everything that else came my way whether it was sports or anything else was no 2, 3, 4. Number 1 was always studies and that's the way I looked upon it. I think whatever has happened to me is more like a mishap, which was not meant to happen but it happened .I am pretty grateful to God and everybody would think I sing well because I personally think that I don't think I sing well that's a very big misnova.

Why do you think so?

I have heard people like my father my kaka and they are much much better singer than me, they are fantastic singers. Medicine as been the main driving force in our family and all of us are very passionate about been doctors one exception being my sister she is a lawyer. She is a lawyer much because she could not get through medicine, she tried a lot but I think she is blessed to have become a lawyer because she is making much more money then always put together (he laughs).

How do you juggle with two different careers?

As first as I said it's in my blood so music is very natural to us. It's not something that you have to do as a … you would know people in Bengal everybody has some talent or other. Whether you sing or write, you do something and its part of you. It's something that is encouraged by your family, if you can sing, paint, dance
you are encouraged So I was also encouraged to pursue my interest but I was never encouraged to take it as a full time profession and at the same time what happened was that I always inculcated good habits like I don't have any kind of socializing habits, I am a complete teetotaler. So what happens is that all the time I have is either dedicates it to working as a doctor or working as a musician. I think that's why I can juggle both the careers because I don't do anything else. I don't do a third thing. I think 24 hrs in a day is lot of time two actually pursue two careers at a time I am pretty sure about it and all the people who don't do it either don't do it because of lack of opportunities because everybody is not blessed like me ; or they don't do it because they have other pursuits in life somebody might say that after five thirty, six I would like to go out for a party, pub; but my thing is that after 5.30, 6.00 I would like to work again. So that's how I juggle both the careers. I think personal discipline. It's makes a big difference.

How do you perceive music and what does music means to you?

It's a complete expression of my personality. If you hear my song you will understand exactly the way I am, I personally think that all the people who are honest from inside would always give you an insight in to their personality with the words they write, or the singing they do or the music they do like I will give you an example like my father used to compose bhagan and that was his expression and at one point in his life he wanted to talk to God so it was his expression of life. The music I write, I think it's my expression my personality, the way I am, my character, my psychiatrics disturbances, imbalances or whatever it is .I think all of them comes out in my music. Music to me is worship it's like a religion. It's very important that I am honest to my music. So all of these years that I persuaded music I have persuaded it completely on my terms I have not made any comprises like lot of people always ask me that why don't you make commercial songs some move songs, dance songs? but that's not my expression that's not my background that's not where I come from. So I can't make such that kind of music. Music is a) an expression of personality and to me it's a worship.

Though you don't have a regular training in classical music you have done pretty well for yourself please comment?

I think I am well known because of luck. It's got nothing to do with me. Actually very few people who have come to this field are actually educated and when you talk to an educated person there is always a difference you know you can always make out somebody who is educated or not and it is not only from what you learn in books. It's where you come from; like if you sit down and chat with my mother and my father there so much of information, and depth they have will impart it to you. Like when I went in to the medical college I already knew the treatment of so many diseases because of my parents because of my background .I think it's what you imbibe. I think that's what has helped me to establish myself as a person, I think the media and the audiences suddenly got hold of a guy who knew what he was saying maybe he was making sense and also the music I make was a very common man music, it was never glamorous, flashy or whatever it is. I think that connected to the people.

What role lyrics play in your songs?

Lyrics is the most important part the problem is that we are leaving at times where lyrics are given least importance but my thing is such that lyrics should be given most importance because we as an entertainer have a huge responsibility towards society people who listen to our music actually try to listen and follow what am I saying. It's a misnova when people say that " I am a movie star I do whatever I do and it's okay" I don't think so people follow you they listen to what you say they understand your lyrics and they follow your lyrics, like I will give you an example when I wrote Ma e re there were so many people who wrote to me on the email that they could connect that song to their mother thanks to that song. He takes a Pause I think it's very very important. 7. How do you compare previous singers, lyrics with the present days? Now days everybody is coming up with their songs. Previously the songs were really good now I think we are somewhere losing . What do you say? I personally feel that the problem is actually in our population see what happens is I will give you an example twenty years ago or thirty years ago how many journalist they where? Look at it now the number of journalist is fantastic so there would be good journalist and there would be bad journalist. there will not be any quality control. Earlier if you had to get in to press like times of India etc then it had to be very very good but now the problem is that there are so many people that eventually choice or choosing becomes very very tough. So they say you know when a good will works may be a bad will work also, which is a same in music. there was a time there were only five singers Kishore Kumar. Mohammad rafi, Mannadey, mukesh, Hemant Kumar. Nowdays there are almost fifty thousands singers, so obviously there would some good singers writing good music and bad singers writing bad music but I don't agree that all lyrics are bad all singers are bad, all lyrics are bad I don't think so it's not possible. There are great musicians at our time I think A.R Raman is a great musicians, he is a great musician who writes very nice musics great melodies, Shankar Ayasan loy. There is lot of music that Anu malik write is always good. Gulzar sahib is writing poetry javed Akthar is writing poetry. Praful joshi is writing poetry. They write excellent poetry, I don't agree with this that everything is bad everything was used to be good like that day only I was hearing a song That was a copy from a song Czechoslovakia from a very old Rajkapoor film. So it's not the case that everything used to be good and now everything is bad. Nowdays we are leaving at the time of Internet so………

Nowdays people are making remix of old songs. So what do you feel about it?

I will just tell you what the problem with the remix is. Remix, as a song is not wrong. Remix, as a video is wrong. What all they are doing is that with all the old melodies they are coming with all these vulgar videos which actually makes it look bad. You know the song is not bad the song is still remains the same. Like her generation who are much much younger than us if you did not hear these remixes you would never come to know about the old songs. The problem is that the videos they make so what happens is that if you shut your eyes and you hear the song you will really enjoy it but if you open your eyes then you would be surprised.

9. Would you sing cheep and meaningless popular song if they offer you great amount of cash? I have already refused that kind of songs .I have already refused remixes and stuff like that. See in life I have learnt one thing if you comprise once you have to keep on comprising again and again. Secondly, I am very happy with what I have done I am contended I don't want to be the world richest man or the world most famous man. I am happy being who I am. So I really don't think I really need to do this.

Underline themes of your songs?

The underline themes, the strongest theme in the world is definitely love. Love for anything it could be love for somebody, for your parents, for your country for anybody .I think all my songs talks about love for something or the other either its patriotism, or a person for your friends, parents. I think the theme is always love it has to be because I think that's the strongest emotion in the whole world and it's the most unified one too.

Please share your experience in filal and your experience in working with shushmita sen and Meghana Gulzar?

The greatest thing about filal was that I was lying down at home one day and the offer came .so I think that was the better thing about Filal.I had a very small role but I had a very significant role I really thought the idea to work in a film would be, it was an extension of my music. It was again a very descent film .It was a very different film and it was done in a very aesthetic manner and I thought if I were a part of the film it would help me learn more of what I want to do and spread more of what all I want to do. That was one thing I think Shushmita was a great co star .She is an extremely intelligent person for her age. She is very young she is hardly 26, 27 but very very mature and so is meghana she is very mature person. I think it's her predagaries that makes her so mature and intelligent .The greatest think about filal was that it taught me that " you can come up with offbeat topics they might not be commercial success but it's a great way to experiment because there is nothing wrong in that.

Celebrity's life is virtually an open book they don't have their personal life comment?

I have a personal life .I completely have a personal life .A celebrity life gets as exposed as he wants it to get exposed. Like I will give you an example if I went for one party everybody everybody would get to know me that much I avoid doing that so if you don't go out if you don't mix up with people, you don't get in to the media, you don't get in to the celebrity circle they would never get to know that much about you may be they don't treat me as somebody who is very exciting, that's okay na .My life as a singer as a family person is very demarcated. There is clear boundary between the two.

Would you consider yourself as an introvert?

It's not so much like an introvert but I would like to stay away. In famous cities, also I won't go out, I won't go out to cut ribbons, never go out to parties. It's suit me as I said I have been brought in a very different atmosphere, I have been brought up in an intellectual background middle class family .I would like to imbibe those things in me. Eventually you are recognized by your work if your work is good then people will admire you, like you support you but if your work is not good you could be anybody it does not make any differences.

Which offers you more satisfaction, medical profession or music?

Definitely, medicine no way I cannot deny it. Even if one patient puts his trust in you with his life it is great feeling what could be more then that. One guy coming to you and saying that treat me make me okey. Music is a more transient business more superficial. It's a show biz it's nothing else. You are good or as bad as the person looking at you perceives it. I am nothing I am very ordinary person like I think I am not very good singer but may be you think you I am a good singer. It depends upon your perception. Even if I was the best singer in the world and you think that I am not then it would remain so.

Is there any major difference between Palash Sen of pre 1998 and Palash Sen of today? Do you think a person automatically changes when he becomes a celebrity?

The difference which I mark within myself is that I have become much more patient. I used to have a very bad temper. I was a more impulsive kind of a person. I never used to take the thing in its actual form like if I used to think that somebody was saying something I used to react very angry. Now its okey I am at peace with myself I think success has given me the patience. I have become very patient guy because I think God has been very nice to me. He has been very very kind to me .I think I should give away this kindness to other people. That is the major difference between me. There is a bad side I get to sleep lesser I much more tired then I used to be I can spend less time with my family, I am five years older. So that's the other side and also people come down and speculate like if you are coming to meet then you would have preconceived thoughts in your mind that I would be like this I would be like that all this was not before 1998.Previously people didn't have any preconceive notion about me they are just meeting you as a person. One more thing you just cannot go in to the market just like that you simply cannot. When everything happened to me I was already in my thirties I already had a settled career,. At thirty a person is not so much bothered about his career at twenty-one he his bothered about his career, that time he has ideas and dream. When I got this break my life was already stable I was already practicing. So my brain would not take a spin if I suddenly became famous. See as a doctor you get to see the reality of life and the reality of life disease and death everything else I would say it's just a dream .I think all the good things which happens to you is just a dream. My father used to say birth is by chance but death is definite and I strongly belief this. Eventually what ever you are getting this fame, name etc these are very small things very transient So as person you wont change things only that change, peoples perception about you change. Like 10 years back nobody knew who I am now 10 years later everyone knows who I am; but nobody knows me na they would be all thinking about of all that they must be seeing in the TV, what they would read up in the interview, and everybody has a story to tell the moment they become famous.

Which singer you admire the most and why?

First is really my father, secondly a man call Elvis prisley .My father brought his records and I really thought that was the way to sing in life. The third person is kishore kumar. Kishorekumar has influenced everybody in this country so influenced me also. Though I think he was the only singer who had such a wide range of emotions in his voice. He could sing any kind of songs and that's what I have always tried to do tried to sing every kind of songs. Yes I think these are three people whom I admire the most otherwise I would admire anybody. I admire Nusratfateh Ali Khan; I admire Shan, AnuMalik, Sonunigam. I am a big fan of lataMangeshkar, Asha Bhosle ji.my thing is I admire all of them I think they all have got their charm, own ways of thinking and they have so much to teach people.

What role does competition and comparison plays in your career?

A lot the thing is you may not be comparing or compare yourself but people tend to do so like I like Shan more than Palash .I think people has this comparison thing you yourself wont be doing it. I cannot be somebody else this the way I am there is something unique about me. I am not the greatest singer in the world but I am not the worst singer also I am okey I am somewhere there and I at peace at myself I cannot be compared there is no point and it doesn't affect. See it doesn't affect me simply because as I said that I am at peace. I really think what ever I have got it's a bonus .I was just a doctor, going to the clinic everyday and seeing the patient that it. Whatever I have got it's a bonus.

What made you choose the name euphoria?

There are two stories behind it one is the funny story the options were Diarrhea, pyria, gunnearohea so euphoria was the best option. The actual reason is euphoria is a feeling you get in a state called hypomania, which is the first stage of mania which is a psychological disorder and they say that when you are in the state of the hypomania and euphoria you are at your creative best, you create the best like people like leonardavinci and all where in euphoria when they created monalisa, so I would like to hope that the band is always at euphoria thus creating the best.

Whom do you hold responsible for your success?

No two ways that it I would say God and my parents. God because he is the one who writes our destiny I am very strongly believer in that. He is the one who writes your life and my parents for all they have taught me in life I think they have made me in to a very strong individual. My mother is an extremely strongly individual .My father was a strong a strongly individual and I think they have imbibe those qualities to me like do what you want to do in your terms see it is easy to become somebody like it would have been easy for me to compose music which everyone does but I chose to create my own things, my own personality. I am still that kind of person whom you would never label as a celebrity and that's all thanks to my parents they have really taught me all those values.

What is your source of inspiration?

Definitely my parents but I think my source of inspiration is actually people I love personalities you will get to see so many different people who have so many different qualities how the human mind work is the greatest mystery of all there is nothing more fascinating everybody brains it actually works in a different way. Like there would be people who would see a glass and say its half full but their would be people you would say it's half filled. People are the greatest source inspiration.

If you were not Dr Palash Sen what would you have been?

I wish I were a king of a country and would not have to work even for a single day. I don't know I think I would have been in the army .I was very fascinated with the career in the air force .I always wanted to be a pilot .I would have been in the army I think I am a very strong patriotic feel to me All my maternal uncle are in the forces.

Singer Palash Sen joins Right to Information campaign
New Delhi, Aug 06: Lending musical fervour to the opposition to the government's move to amend the Right to Information (RTI) Act, singer Palash Sen along with his band Euphoria is joining forces with the campaign against the proposed changes.

A 'dharna' against the proposed changes to the RTI Act will be launched here on Monday with a musical performance by Euphoria.

Addressing a press conference here on Sunday, Sen said the move to amend the RTI Act would take away powers from the common man, that had been achieved after a long struggle.

"We will raise our voice against the proposed amendment which will take away the power which the common man now has courtesy the RTI Act. I will sing songs about the struggles of the common man and the activists will address the gathering on the issue," he said.

"Right to information is right to justice. There has to be a public debate on the issue before the government brings any amendment to the act," he said.

RTI activist and Magsaysay award winner Arvind Kejriwal said that the demonstration, being organised by joint operation for social help, will continue up to August 25, the day when the monsoon session of Parliament ends.

"The act is for everybody. It is for the future generation. People are benefiting from the RTI Act. The government is now scared, hence it is trying to bring the amendments," he said.

Lucknow-based activist Sandeep Pandey said the movement was spreading all across the nation. "The response is very much encouraging," he said.

Noted activist Anna Hazare has already announced that he would launch a strike in Mumbai from August 9 on the issue.

The proposed amendments seek to block access to file notings and keep the decision-making process out of the reach of public scrutiny.

Bureau Report
Edited by Qwest - 16 years ago
MEHFUZ 

To go straight to the point, this offering of Euphoria is nowhere near its earlier albums, particularly the first one.

As the album goes from the first score to the last of the 12 numbers, you obviously wonder what has happened to the band that had such a promising start. It seems to have lost track of the genre it followed and now the impression Mehfuz gives is, it is trying its luck in every kind of singing, from Punjabi pop to soft romantic ones to just cacophony.

Of all the numbers, "Bin-Yah-Min's Zabr Bhoola Sab" is the best. "Soneya" might appeal to listeners looking for light numbers in north India. "She is beautiful" and "Bewafaa" are passable. The theme number, "Mehfuz" can also be heard but over all, the sad part about the album is, none of the numbers are worth remembering.

Wonder where have the days of Euphoria's "Tuhi meri zindagi, tuhi meri harkhushi" gone?

Mehfuz - Euphoria

<>document.write('Aelina,') Aelina, IndiaGlitz   [Friday, June 16, 2006]

India's indigenous music band 'Euphoria' present their latest album 'Mehfuz' to their fans spread across continents. This time around the album is made of 12 tracks that carry with them a lot of variety and hence presenting a wide range. Expectations are always high when music comes from such a reputed band led by Palash Sen and 'Mehfuz' is no exception.

1) Soneya [Lyrics: Palash/Deekshant, music: Palash]

Instead of the title song, the album begins with 'Soneya' that begins on an auspicious note with the sound of a 'shankh'. There is a distinct Indian feel to it in the way number of musical instruments are brought together to give a lively edge to the number. Lyrics by Palash and Deekshant have a fresh appeal to them while the overall song is nothing less than an experiment as everything from western pop to Punjabi to Indi-pop is brought together to result in a tasteful composition. A lively rhythmic number to kick-start the proceedings, 'Soneya' is not a regular romantic number but is about maintaining a positive outlook in life and looking forward to its beauty!

2) Mehfuz [Lyrics: Palash/Deekshant, music: Palash]

Title song 'Mehfuz' arrives next with the sound of guitar followed by a mouth-organ setting the pace for this bona fide Indi-pop number. Slow yet an able attention grabber, 'Mehfuz' is a pensive number about separation that has everything from lyrics, music to rendition playing an all around role to make it a heartfelt number. While the smooth paced music impresses even in its silent presence in the background, it is Palash Sen's singing that holds the center stage as it gives due respect to the thoughtful lyrics. A good contrasting number after a rocking 'Soneya'!

3) Polly-Gami (Bewafaa) [Lyrics: Palash/Deekshant, music: Palash]

From 'shankh' to guitar and mouth organ, its time for 'apna desi' harmonium to make its presence felt in interestingly titled 'Polly-Gami' [Bewafa]. With Palash setting the prelude in a rendition that senses of a 'qawalli', there is a twist in the tale as a mouth organ takes over with light beats forming the song's base. After a contemporary 'Mehfuz', its time to get back to roots once again with an earthy 'Bewafaa' that has various shades to it. The number doesn't get trapped into conventional settings and moves from being a 'qawalli' to earthy with even some elements of western influences. And yes not to forget about the unconventional lyrics that make even a subject like 'Polly-Gami' being treated differently!

4) Bin-Yah-Min's Zabr Bhoola Sab [Lyrics: Palash/Deekshant, music: Palash]

For 'Bin-Yah-Min's Zabr Bhoola Sab', it is piano this time, the tune of which touches you for all the seconds it is on. With a title like this, one would have imagined a rooted number but there is a surprise as the music that follows has true western effects. To make matters further interesting, the song turns out to be a jazz number as it talks about forgetting about the love from the past and looking forward! An experimental number again, it is one of the most surprising tracks expected in a Palash Sen album. Fourth good song in succession!

5) Roshni [Lyrics: Gulzar, music: Palash]

For the first time in 'Mehfuz', there is a song by Gulzar in the form of 'Roshni'. A complex number about love, life, friendship, relationships and 'roshni' all around, it has a philosophical feel to it and requires a minimum hearing of 4-5 times before it can actually be grasped and appreciated by an average listener. The song is superb for its lyrical value and while the rock feel of this Palash Sen rendered number is a welcome change from numerous Indi-pop tracks that we often hear, it is more of a song to be enjoyed while listening rather than hearing. Classy!

6) Dil [Lyrics: Gulzar, Konkani lyrics: Benny, music: Palash]

Konkani music arrives in 'Mehfuz' with 'Dil' that is as simple as a nursery rhyme with the rhythm forming the song's backdrop. 90 seconds into the song and you suddenly realize that your neck is in motion as the tune plays. After 'Soneya', if there is a track that is a potential chartbuster if its music video is made, it is 'Dil'. With a 'filmi' feel to it, it is easily identifiable and promises a feel-good outing. Enjoy while dancing to the tune when the song is on!

Euphoria does well in creating 'Mehfuz' that is one of the purest non-film albums to arrive this season. The album doesn't fall to the diktats of commercial numbers and comprises of songs that seem to be coming straight from the heart. Now all that is required is an extensive publicity that should get the album further visibility.

Euphoria (Indian band)

Euphoria is one of the most famous and successful bands in India. Their different style helped them create an audience from themselves as an alternative to the dominant Indian film or classical music. Euphoria were among the first to bring rock culture to india. They mixed electric guitar with traditional instruments like the tabla, dholak and sitar to create mesemerising effects. The band lineup has often changed through the early nineties and attained stability after 1998. Until recently, when guitarist Gaurav Misra aka Gary parted ways with the band. It's been reported in the media that gary went off to settle in Australia. But nothing has diminished its charm over their fans, also known as Dhoomers. Recently, they have even inducted female members into the band mainly as backup vocalists.

Band members
Debajyoti Bhaduri aka DJ, on Bass Guitar
Benjamin Pinto aka Benny, on Keyboard
Hitesh Madan aka Rikki, on Guitar
Ashwani Verma, on Drums
Rakesh Bhardwaj on Dholak
Prashant Trivedi, on Tabla
Palash Sen aka Polly, Lead Vocalist.

Discography
The band calls its music Hind rock, their first album is named Dhoom, followed by Phir Dhoom, Mantra (single) and Gully - a Hindi word that means street. Their newest album is called "Mehfuz" and was released in 2006. They also have composed a song, Sona de ma, for a Bollywood film, called Shootout at Lokhandwala.

Euphoric about 'Mehfuz'
Singer Palash Sen on the Indianness in Euphoria's music
Photo: Murali Kumar

THIRD TIME LUCKY? Palash Sen
They came with a splash with "Dhoom". They came again with "Phir Dhoom". And then came a long break. Even as you wonder where Delhi's own pop band Euphoria has vanished after we hummed so religiously their lovely numbers such as "Tu hi meri zindagi, tu hi meri har khushi" with even better music videos, the group resurfaced the other day by announcing the launch of its third album, "Mehfuz". And this time too, the boys have held on to their style of music and have again used the blend of Indian classical music and modern rock beats. Palash Sen, the band's lead singer, talking about their kind of music, says, "Music helps in bringing people together. It generates a commonality among various sections of society, so it becomes important to focus on the kind of music one brings into play." Tell him that along with the music, their videos too have been successful, and Palash expresses "immense pleasure". "Being an Indian, the idea is to highlight Indian culture and ethos and through music videos one can actually reach the audience in a better way as the medium is audio-visual," he adds. In both the earlier videos, there was an overt sense of Indianness. While the lanes of Benaras ruled the roost in one, a long and winding ride in a local ramshackle bus with a quiet, attractive girl to woo formed the crust of it in the other. Palash though gives credit for the success of Euphoria's music videos to director Pradeep Sarkar of Parineeta fame. Sarkar has also directed the lead video of Euphoria's latest album.

Palash, who made his acting debut with Meghna Gulzar's Filhaal, says he has no acting assignment as of now but is working on the music of a film with Sanjay Gupta.

Song and dance of cricket

Maitreyee Handique | January 22, 2003

Major music companies are all set to ride the ICC Cricket World Cup 2003 hype and storm the Rs 700-800 crore (Rs 7-8 billion) Indian music market.

Three music majors are bringing out 'motivation music' cassettes and CDs to keep the Indian cricketers' spirits and performances high when they play the World Cup in South Africa next month.

Mumbai-based Nirvana Music, a subsidiary of Nimbus Communications, which is the World Cup airtime marketing agent for Doordarshan, will release Khel Re on Republic Day eve.

While the Rs 15-crore (Rs 150 million) Virgin Records India released its first Hindi film music album Stumped last week to time with the event, the Rs 60-70 crore (Rs 600-700 million) Sony Music India is joining the bandwagon with its compilation album Chalo India.

"This is a once-in-four-years opportunity and we have focused on bringing out the passion and achievement of dreams," says Rahul Guha, business head, Nirvana Music.

Cassettes and CDs, priced at Rs 55 and Rs 150 respectively, will feature performers such as Jatin-Lalit, Lalit Sen, Rajesh Roshan, Sajid-Wajid in the 12-song collaborative album, currently on air on FM channels, while the videos will be shown on music channels this week.

The six-month-old company has already spent close to Rs 40 lakh (Rs 4 million) on its second album, and hopes to market 1,00,000 cassettes and 10,000 CDs in India and abroad.

Apart from songs by Vasundhara Das and Sudesh Bhonsle, the album will also have the ICC Cup official song Welcome, for which the company has the exclusive rights in South Asia.

"Khel Re is the official music album and we have procured the music rights from the official licensor for South Asia to be associated with the World Cup for music in South Asia," says Guha.

While Chalo India will feature old Bollywood hits like Chale chalo (from Lagaan) and Jo jita wohi Sikandar, Stumped, a home production of actress Raveena Tandon, will contain songs like Hum ko to hai pura yakeen.

For its promotion, it has an entire line-up of Bollywood actors like Salman Khan, Sanjay Dutt and Mahima Choudhury. Stumped is Virgin Records' first foray into the Hindi film music segment.

Music companies set the ball rolling for 'good luck India' albums during the 1999 World Cup. The Rs 100-crore (Rs 1 billion) HMV Saregama came out with Cricket meri jaan and the Rs 20-crore (Rs 200 million) BMG Crescendo brought out Command India.

Sales of both albums were far below expectations: HMV Saregama sold only 30,000 units, while BMG Crescendo barely managed 15,000.

Both companies have steered clear from the present pre-World Cup celebrations.

"The concept of singing for teams was new in the Indian market, one reason possibly why it was not an instant hit," says Sanjay Dikshit, BMG Crescendo branch manager in Delhi.

Other companies are not taking chances. EMI Virgin has struck a deal with VST Enterprise's cigarette brand Charms, to sponsor a portion of the release cost, while Sony Music India, which has tied up with ESPN-Star Sports has already started flash advertisements in music channels for the Chalo India album.

Nirvana Music has signed up with Hero Honda, Doordarshan, Nimbus Communications and LG Electronics. The company also has exclusive partnerships with MTV and Radio City.

Companies too are grabbing part of the attention. Last week, Samsung organised an event in Delhi, where cricketers interacted with customers as music groups, such as Viva, performed for the crowd.

Earlier pep-up songs are also being resurrected; Rok sako to rok do, composed by Euphoria for Maruti for the 1999 World Cup has resurfaced as Hum, born out of collaboration between Euphoria and Mehnaz for the Channel Jamming album.

Star India is reproducing the number once gain 'with fresh footages of the cricket stars.'

But can cheering guarantee winners?

Says Palash Sen, lead singer, Euphoria, "It's no use organising these events as cricketers ultimately have to do the job as professionals. It just puts unnecessary pressure on them."

Nobody can deny our fans hope and longing, especially after India's rout in the recent New Zealand series.

As a character in Kaante says, "There are two things Indians don't like: war on India, and losing a game of cricket."

Euphoria Biography
Euphoria, the six-member Delhi-based rock band has come a long way since it first took to stage in 1989. Ever since the band has created splashes in the festival circuits, endured the hardships of Indian music industry, witnessed changes in their original line up and relished the increased patronage of Indian listeners.

Their first album "Dhoom" had a distinct and unique flavor. While their song "Dhoom Pichuck Dhoom" shows their inclination towards folk music (the song features 12 ethnic percussion instruments) other songs like "Sh Na Na" or "Hind Rock n' Roll" reveal the flip side of band's musicality. Even their second album "Phir Dhoom" has found a place in the music collection of many music buffs.

Euphoria consists of Palash Sen on vocals, Gaurav Mishra on guitars, Debajyoti Bhaduri on bass, Benjamin Pinto on keyboards, Hitesh Madan on guitars and Christopher Powell on drums.

Despite their inclination towards rock, Euphoria tabs on natural rhythm and melody of Indian music, blend it with heart-stirring desi lyrics and, thereby, tread into a hitherto unknown territory in music that they call 'Hind Rock'.

By Satyajit - Eye TV India Bureau

Juke Box
click for larger view

"Euphoria" meaning ecstasy, excitement and joy is the most promising and gifted pop group of the nation that lived and survived gracefully in the fast changing pop world. This "king of beats" and hot "n" trendy Indi-Pop group is back on its winning track with the new presentation - 'Mehfuz'. It was in 1998 that its different music rocked the nation with best selling single track "Dhoom Pichuk Dhoom" hitting the marquee. The nation rocked to its beats and it was followed with couple of hit tracks like "Hind Rock", "Sha-na-nana" and "Kyon Judaa". The passion of "Euphoria" returned in 2000 with its second album "Phir Dhoom". It has successful tracks like "Phir Dhoom", "Hum", "Aao Na" and their most popular soundtrack "Maaeri". It was during "Maaeri" that model-turned-actress Rimi Sen caught the attention of Bollywood and is now hitting the headlines with hits like 'Dhoom' and 'Deewane Huye Paagal'. Besides Rimi Sen, Vidya Balan made her first promising appearance in one of its early videos. Pradeep Sarkar, the video director, struck gold with his directorial presentation 'Parineeta'. The success journey of "Euphoria" entered its third phase of success with the third album -- "Gully". This album has successful tracks like "Aana Meri Gully", "Raja Rani" and "Lori".

In 2004, "Euphoria" collaborated with the Pakistani pop group "Strings" for the Indo-Pak cricket series official anthem, "Jeet Lo Dil". This also successfully launched the fourth album -"Mantra". The title track "mantra" caught the attention of young generation with the lines -- "Bas jaan lo hai pyaar kya, hai yeh hamara mantra!" "Euphoria" is now all geared up for their fifth album -"Mehfuz" (Protected) with the collection of 12 rollicking soundtracks. "Euphoria" is group of eight musical prodigies - Palash Sen (lead vocalist), Debajyoti "DJ", Bhaduri (bass player), Benjamin "Benny" Pinto (keyboard player), Hitesh "Rikki" Madan (guitarist), Ashwani Verma (drums), Gaurav "Gary" Misra (guitarist), Rakesh Bharadwaj and Prashant Trivedi ("dholak and tabla). The pulsating and foot-tapping 12 soundtracks of "Mehfuz" can be heard on "Sa Re Ga Ma".

SONEYA - The slow-pitched stringed notes and free flowing vocals invite the spirited way of life in the introductory soundtrack "Soneya". Palash Sen, the lead vocalist, blasts into high-pitched flavors in celebrating the happy and fun loving style of living. The number has been on air as the promotional soundtrack of the album. Like "Dhoom" and "Maaeri" it has catchy music and funky one-liners to entice listeners. This four-minute plus number has a blend of Punjabi and Hindi chirpy lyrics by Palash Sen and Deekshant Sehrawat that fuel up the youthful tempo. "Soneya" has the blend of classical Indian instruments giving an ethnic touch with the tinge of synchronized guitar notes. It's bright beginning to the new album from the pop group that has been making news for more than half a decade.

MEHFUZ- Slow and sensitive guitar notes blended with sluggish pace keyboard musical rhythm mark the arrival of the precarious feel and touch of the protagonist in the title track "Mehfuz". "Mehfuz" meaning "protected" is about receptive, uncertain and sentimental feeling of the singer conveyed through the fine set of lyrics. "Zindagi dhuan to kya , Bujh gaye har subah to kya, rutha mujhse khuda to kya, ho gaye hum juda to kya" marks the loneliness and isolation of the singer in well placed lyrics. The theme lines are punched with equally impressive verses "Tere Hoothon kein kisi kaune mein, hansi ki tarah mein mehfuz hoon". "In recent times it can be termed as the most heart-warming soundtrack in the Indi-Pop section and promises to impress listeners in coming days.

POLLY-GAMI- BEWAFA- Qawaali flavors galore as Palash breaks loose from pop singing and sings the rhythmic lovable soundtrack "Polly-gami-bewafa". It has been conceived in Indian classical musical attire with all ingredients of the perfect "Qaawali" number. The expressive feelings emote through fine piece of harmonious rhymes and recurring rendition of "Oh-ho-ho-ho". The song is about "Bewafa" (estranged beloved) and about her make and break relationship with the singer sung in a loud and pompous way. In short, it's about emoting out the tragic emotions in a vociferous way with meaningful lyrics in "Qawaali" style of singing.

BIN-YA-MIN'S ZABR BHOOLA SAB - Rikki and Gary's heavy loaded guitar strings strike a blow and fire all cylinders in the hard metal rock soundtrack "Bin-Ya-Min's Zabr Bhoola Sab". It has striking resemblance of Euphoria's hit track "Hind Rock" and "Mantra" in terms of high-pitched music and cheerful vocals by Palash. This number is designed to fire the dancing floors on the rock shows and it reminds of classics of "Headbanger's Balls". Despite the fact that hip-hop rules the charts this comes as a welcome surprise in different genre of music.

ROSHNI - The beaming and radiating light of life, hope, trust and optimism shines bright in the playful and "full of life" soundtrack "Roshni". The everlasting and nostalgic moments of never dying spirit is reflected in the phonating and resonating vocals of Palash. "Umeedein Jab Jagati Hai, Sab Khilati Hai, Roshni, Khwabon se Jo Uthathi hai To Bulati Hai, Zindagi"- the poetic lyrics by Gulzar are about the awakening of daylight on a bright sunny day. In terms of narrative contents it scores the maximum and with the fine blend of Palash voice and others it makes it a listening delight. The soundtrack is a listening delight all the way that encourages optimism in life through "Subah Ki Roshni" (bright morning light) in an impressive way.

DIL - The tinge and flavors of Euphoria's first single hit "Dhoom Pichuk Dhoom" is relived and revamped in playful and joyous mood in the soundtrack "Dil". The song is about carefree passions in life and trouble free lifestyle felt by the lovable "Dil" (heart). Palash's contemporary singing comes in full colors with the blend of Hindi and Bengali lyrics. Gulzar along with keyboard player Benny Pinto has structured the lyrics of this number that portrays the heart-felt carefree feelings. It caters to lonely hearts that crave for delightful beloved on a blissful evening.

EUPHO-RIK-RAB-JAANE - The might and blessing of God is mellifluously rendered in a harmonious way in the soundtrack "Eupho-Rik Rab Jaane". The adulation and decree of "Rab" (God) is conveyed through sentimental and soul stirring lyrics by Palash and Guitarist Hitesh Madan. The slow moving music, effective percussions, penetrative lyrics make it special and come out as the finest offering to God in Indi-Pop genre in recent times.

SHE'S BEAUTIFUL - It's different, strange and cut above the rest as Euphoria changes tracks completely and delivers sentimental English soundtrack "She's beautiful". R. Tomling and Palash's lyrics speak volumes of adulation for the picture perfect beauty. The number comes out in slow and soft singing pace with the vocals emanating the beautiful endeavors of the immaculately gorgeous girl. It may not be the conventional style of singing and music of Euphoria but still it catches listener's attention.

SAVERA- If "Roshni" brightens up the prospects of shinning tomorrow then "Savera" brings new and gleaming horizons. It's "optimism" once again with rollicking hard rock music that brightens up the darkness of life. Palash delivers another "full of life" number that promises "Savera" (morning) of inspiring future and loads of hopefulness. Dahlia Sen and Deekshant Sehrawat's lyrics are apt for the occasion and blossom with the cheerful music.

DOHA- The religious transcripts of Kabir and Rahim are relived and plagiarized in typical rock style of music in the soundtrack "Doha". It is conceptually traditional and caters to small segment that cherishes old style of musical works. Kabir and Rahim's immortal Dohas are garnished with spice and flavor by contemporary lyricist Deekshant Sehrawat in a typical way.

DJOO'S BASSILICA KEE FARAK PAiNDA - A fast paced rollicking rock soundtrack "Djoo's Bassilica Kee Farak Painda" comes out in the mould of conventional pop number. It's about choosing and picking lady love in routine lyrical set up by Dahlia Sen. It talks about Chandramukhi and Paro (Legendary Devdas' long lost beloveds) in playful manner. Nothing special about, simply time-pass number sung in traditional roadside Romeo attire.

KYNA'S SONG- There can be no better way to end up album with best possible sentimental soundtrack "Kyna's Song" of the album. Euphoria's one of finest rendered rhythms gets the passage of effective vocals, improvised guitar strings, blended musical instrumentation that are designed effectively to produce an impressive love track. Palash's voice sounds sweetest in this lovable number with brief rendition of female vocals in the background. After "Soneya" and "Mehfuz" this is another bankable number where the inspiring Euphoria expects boom in its audio sales.

Euphoria's fifth and latest album "Mehfuz" impresses in a big way with the blend of lovable romantic soundtracks and spirited numbers. If you feel like enjoying different genre of music then this album is surely impressive with numbers like "Soneya" and "Kyna's Song". Grab it for delightful evenings!