Yet another article in 'The Hindu'

nishkala thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Anas Rashid and Rajat Tokas on the experience of playing Prithviraj Chauhan
Photos: Anu Pushkarna

HISTORy COMES ALIVE Anas Rashid.
The youngster was to be cast in only three episodes, but he ended up playing the lead in 200. Yes, we are talking about Rajat Tokas, the child whose popularity grew so much that Prem Sagar, the producer, decided to continue with him playing Prithviraj Chauhan for almost two years in Dharti Ka Vir Yodha Prithviraj Chauhan on StarPlus.

"I had worked with Sagars before in Sai Baba. When they approached me to play the young Prithiviraj, the offer was for three-four episodes. I was to shoot for how Prithviraj learnt to use shabdbhedi baan (firing an arrow in the direction of voice) and the lion killing episode. But somehow people started liking me as the TRPs showed and one thing led to another," says Rajat after being finally replaced by Anas Rashid as the older Prithvi.

For the uninitiated, Angad Bedi, son of cricketer Bishan Singh Bedi was supposed to replace Rajat but he opted out in the interim.

All of 14, Rajat says it was his physique that also helped the producers in hiding his age. "I am a Jat from Delhi. I don't do any specific exercises." Having missed his birthday and studies during this period, Rajat now wants to take a break from acting.

"My parents and friends know the real Rajat. It's the fans that see me differently. I can't share the mails that I get from my female fans. They really think that I am old enough to feel the emotions I portray on the small screen."

Rajat clears he never studied history books to get into the character. "Similarly I am too young to experience the emotions I was required to portray. I did what the director told me. Perhaps the spontaneity worked to my advantage."

Rajat Tokas as Prithviraj Chauhan.

A celebrity in his school now, Rajat says the teachers who used to reprimand him for devoting too much time to extracurricular activities now request him to meet their kids.

Replacing him is Anas Rashid, who has to wear a wig because unlike Rajat he doesn't sport long hair. Hailing from Malerkotla in Punjab, Anas started his career with Balaji's Kahin to Hoga. "Television is full of women-oriented shows and I wanted to move out of such shows Prithvi…is one of the rare male shows on air. I feel lucky. I was auditioned first and then checked in the get-up." Anas says, "He had to learn the intricacies of sword fights. "Now while doing the action scenes, I feel I have some connection with Prithviraj!" Like Rajat, Anas also doesn't want to flip through history books to know more about Prithviraj.

"The only thing I knew about him before starting to shoot was that he was the last Hindu King of Delhi. Also if we go by what is written about him in history books, the series would have been over in 100 episodes."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Castiel007 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
thanks alot Nisha di.......
So this Anas 😑 wear a wig πŸ˜†
And RT is celebrity not only in School but also in whole country πŸ‘
nishkala thumbnail
ok,first thing is don't bash up Anas here also πŸ˜† nahi to Dee7 will close this topicπŸ˜† too.
Secondly,I don't find it much different from the remaining articles but our edition of Hindu is a bit slow in covering Hindi Programmes so bear with it! πŸ˜† .I waited so long and now this article is appearing on 14th November so late! Edited by nishkala - 16 years ago
miraclemun thumbnail
It's not 3 epis, its 6 epis.

These media people! 😑 😑 😑
tina43# thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thanku. 😊
loved to see rt's pic nd his comments. πŸ˜›
Vienna thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thanks nisha.... i found this article bit different.. as it is not for just publicity of anas , hv more stuff abt rajat.
rajat is unable to feel emotions he portrayed on screen πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† πŸ˜† really he must b harrased by his female fans... poor kid πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
& star gold also givin us treat by Bal prc & mahabali... as ur hindu gave us this article 😊
nishkala thumbnail

Originally posted by: anjalipranav

thanks nisha.... i found this article bit different.. as it is not for just publicity of anas , hv more stuff abt rajat.
rajat is unable to feel emotions he portrayed on screen πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† πŸ˜† really he must b harrased by his female fans... poor kid πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
& star gold also givin us treat by Bal prc & mahabali... as ur hindu gave us this article 😊

You bet anjali,Rajat has put words so beautifully.He said it very correctly,he can't feel those emotions at such a young age,all IF girls suno suno...........πŸ˜†,he is very well in expressing his point of view!

Edited by nishkala - 16 years ago
chaitra86 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nishkala

You bet anjali,Rajat has put words so beautifully.He said it very correctly,he can't feel those emotions at such a young age,all IF girls suno suno...........πŸ˜†,he is very well in expressing his point of view!

🀣 poor kids....let them be in their dream world nishπŸ˜†

if he can act so well, without feeling those emotions...imagine how well he can act when he grows old.... he has to maintain this level at any cost..😊

Vienna thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: nishkala

ya, he is really a smart kid.........hes even intellectual😊 thts why i m impressed.πŸ˜‰ but let me tell u nisha, he must b even knowing the importance of his female fansπŸ˜‰ he may b not encouraging them but definitly cant let them goπŸ˜›πŸ˜‰

Vienna thumbnail

Originally posted by: chaitra86

🀣 poor kids....let them be in their dream world nishπŸ˜†

if he can act so well, without feeling those emotions...imagine how well he can act when he grows old.... he has to maintain this level at any cost..😊

yes, chaitra, he'l act definitly well. but u kno sumtimes unknowingly person peerforms better than knowingly.