* Quote of the Week + Winner! *

Bubbly_Shelly thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hi Debators!

Time for a new quote for a new week. Let's announce last week's winner and this week's new quote.😊

Soo, now to announce the winner. We had T. aka Tanaz to judge our QOTW for last week.πŸ˜ƒ Thanks a lot Tanaz!πŸ‘

This week's winner is very lucky because she has also been a quote of the week winner before as well.

Congratulations once again to....

syrene

"Apart from doing her best to avoid repeating the quote, she elaborated on the single line with specific behavioral characteristics for "those who mattered" and "those who didnt"

Please use this siggy as ur prize, made by  johnandbipasha aka Amber. Thank you Amber for the siggy.πŸ‘

Thanks to all that participated last time.πŸ‘

So for this week's quote!

Please share your opninons on the quote. What you think it means, your thoughts on it. You do not need to have your thoughts or opnions in the form of a quote.You can debate the interpretation and may choose to disagree with another person's interpretation. Best interpretation on the quote will be given a prize!πŸ˜ƒ

This week's Quote of the week:

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

- M.K. Gandhi

Enjoy discussing this week's quote!

Thanks, 

Shelly 

Edited by bubblezz - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Congrats to Syrene for winning the QOTW contest😊.This post is for higly wise people not like the one's of my type Munna Bhai gang......

May I suggest something about this quote of the week.

Why can't we have the following things to the quote given

• Explanation as you understand about the quote and if you agree explain the same,disagree explain the same with a counter quote .....
  • Example as a story or event in history  or a  film or current affairs!
  • Does'nt it make more lively when people disagree the quote and put their reasons for disagreeing the quote!

Wishes,

Myth

IdeaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: tisha_g

Go ahead Myth. That is what this post is meant for. Especially the last point. We would like a lively discussion here.

I wrote all the stuff because most of the times ,shelly puts wonderful quotes which can only be agreed but tough/no scope or very less scope  to be disagreed and the one who agrees has a lot to explain !😊

UDman thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind"

Although somewhat profound, this quote of the week has a very powerful meaning. I believe this is basically trying to say, in short, that two wrongs do not make a right.

In detail, it is saying that if someone were to do something to you, that doesn't mean that you need to do something back to them. For example, if someone does something mean to you, maybe like cheat off your test at school or hit you or make rude remarks about you, you shouldn't respond with the same type of behavior; hence, the eye for eye. The part where it says "...will only make the whole world blind" means that it won't slove anything... it will just create more problems, and it is not worth going throught the trouble...

I don't really agree with this quote, as peope deserve a punishment for the wrong-doing they committed... althugh, I do not mean that you yourself should directly give them back what they deserve, but, let someone else deal with him or her, or just leave it to god... he/she will eventually get a punishment worthy of the "crime" that they committed...

I don't know if what I am saying is right, but I believe it is my belief... I can't wait for more people to present their reactions to the quote!
Bubbly_Shelly thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

I wrote all the stuff because most of the times ,shelly puts wonderful quotes which can only be agreed but tough/no scope or very less scope  to be disagreed and the one who agrees has a lot to explain !😊

Hey Myth, thanks for your suggestion.😊 Awww, okay I'll try finding quotes that you can both agree and disagree with, but you know if you've got any quotes in mind that can be used for the quote of the week, feel free to PM me.😊 I'd be more than glad to use them for our quote of the week.πŸ˜ƒ

kabhi_21 thumbnail
This weeks stetement simply means for me what the words say.... revenge is not answer to any crime 😊
ajeebhotum thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Congrats!πŸ€—

---

The quote to me simply means that revenge isn't going to help you solve anything, its only going to get someone else hurt.. 😊
IdeaQueen thumbnail

- M.K. Gandhi

According to my understanding the above quote means that violence leads to entire mass destruction.So violence the fundamnetal weapon of mass destruction should be shunned!

Yes this was a nice quote of Gandhiji! All the Gandhian Principles are not relavant to this day !!!

Even the incarnation of Lord Vishnu changed for every yuga(a time period of certain years) from Ram to Krishna !! Similarly,Gandhiji was a standard at that time,his principles are not relavent at this period of time!

Its foolish to remain calm,thinking An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind in this 21st century! "Tit for Tat " is the motto of this period of time.If someone attacks you attack with the same /much more intensity!! If you don't react ,then there is no scope of you being alive to react further !

Even Lord Krishna did'nt endorse inaction!πŸ˜›Inaction is equivalent to inefficiency! Action immaterial of its intensity is the virtue of a real capable person!!

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 16 years ago
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#333366 size=4><SPAN ="quote">An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.</SPAN>

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#333366 size=4><SPAN ="quote">- M.K. Gandhi</SPAN>

<SPAN ="quote"><FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>According to my understanding the above quote means that violence leads to entire mass destruction.So violence the fundamnetal weapon of mass destruction should be shunned!</SPAN>

<SPAN ="quote">

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4><SPAN ="quote">Yes this was a nice quote of Gandhiji! All the Gandhian Principles are not relavant to this day !!! </SPAN>

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>Even the incarnation of Lord Vishnu changed for every yuga(a time period of certain years) from Ram to Krishna !! Similarly,Gandhiji was a standard at that time,his principles are not relavent at this period of time!

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>Its foolish to remain calm,thinking <SPAN ="quote">An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind </SPAN><FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>in this 21st century! "Tit for Tat " is the motto of this period of time.If someone attacks you attack with the same /much more intensity!! If you don't react ,then there is no scope of you being alive to react further !

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>Even Lord Krishna did'nt endorse inaction!πŸ˜›Inaction is equivalent to inefficiency! Action immaterial of its intensity is the virtue of a real capable person!!</SPAN>

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#003399 size=4>

Whatever made you conclude that Gandhiji taught people to be quite when the other person is attacking you... ...He asked people to fight back, but not in the same vein...If you think that Mahathma endorsed inaction, then I am afraid, you did not understand the principle of 'Non-Violence'...

Now coming back to the quote:

"An eye for an eye will simply make the whole world blind..."

Wow yet another simple but a powerful statement made my Mahatma Gandhi... πŸ‘ ...It means:

Resorting to violence will only worsen the situation..

Cheers,
Raksha

Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

In Simple,

It states that what you give will come back to you.
Not only an eye, but if you use a harsh word then dont expect other will give you smile. A harsh word will fetch you harsh word only...

Try to be polite then moslty every one will be polite to you. coz life is like an echo.
People call echo, but really this is life. It gives you back everything you say or do. Our life is simply a reflection of our actions. If you want more love in the world, create more love in your heart. If you want more competence in your team, improve your competence.

And final point is if you use any harsh word and in reply if you get the same then it is not only spoiling or disturbing  you both but whole world is effected (directly) or indirectly.