Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jaslove thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Chair, man!

Apparently Satish Shah is not so easily pleased, whether it's with his chair or his shoot timings
Back to Section Stories Posted On Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sandipan Dalal

Archana Puran Singh and Satish Shah In Comedy Circus

If sources are to be believed, the otherwise humorous Satish Shah is throwing tantrums galore on the sets of Sony's Comedy Circus. When the show had started, Shah, who is part of the jury comprising Archana Puran Singh and Johnny Lever, had reservations about shooting beyond 6 pm. The producers (Optimystix Entertainment) had to sweet-talk the senior actor in shooting for them. Says a unit member on condition of anonymity, "Shah has been difficult right from the beginning. He had told us that he doesn't work after six in the evening. We couldn't have let him go at 6 pm, as we shoot two episodes on a day."

After much coaxing, Shah agreed to shoot, but later he urged the producers to change the chairs given to the jury, which according to him were extremely uncomfortable. This led the producers to enquire with the other jury members — Archana and Johnny. But they had no complaints as far as their seats were concerned. Nevertheless, Shah was given a plush chair. Says a member from the production company, "He had a problem with his chair. We had to get him another chair."   

The female contenders of the show, Ketaki Dave, Urvashi Dholakia and Karishma Tanna are not really fond of Satish Shah. Apparently, he meted out special treatment to the male contestants Swapnil Joshi and Ali Asgar. 

However, producer Vipul D Shah refuses to divulge details. He says, "Satish Shah is extremely sweet. I don't think he is unpopular on the show. For his last show, Sarbhai v/s Sarbhai he wasn't shooting after 6 pm. But when we asked to shoot for us, he agreed."   

Satish Shah was not available for comment.

Jaslove thumbnail

Urvashi eliminated!

Urvashi Dholakia and partner Shakeel will be out of Comedy Circus tonight, but she still says they are the winners

ROSHNI K OLIVERA

Is it true that your pair is getting eliminated on Comedy Circus tonight?

• Yes. That's right.
You must be very disappointed...
Disappointed, yes. But, like my partner Shakeel said, we are still winners because for all these ten weeks we never got eliminated. We are the only pair who never went into the danger zone. So, in a way, we are the winners.
Isn't there a wild card entry for you?

• Unfortunately now, when it's come to us, there is no wild card entry because we are in the 10th week. The rest were fortunate that they could come back.
What prompted you to be part of the show?

• It just took me a few days to convince myself. I thank everyone who's responsible for putting me on a show like this where I got an opportunity to portray something different.
What was it like doing comedy after playing vampish roles?

• Great! For a change, people saw me in a different light. I got the same appreciation, or even more, for playing a comic role as I got for playing negative roles, because they didn't expect this out of me. It's just a matter of what you give the audience.
Is acting taking a backseat now that you've turned producer?

• Acting will never take a backseat. That will always remain my top priority. And, frankly speaking, becoming a producer was far more difficult than becoming an actor. It's a big struggle. I didn't struggle as much to become an actor as I did to become a producer.

copyright: Times of India

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Skins/TOI/Client.asp? Daily=TOIM&login=anishma24&Enter=true&Skin=TOI&a mp;a mp;GZ=T&AW=1186364099046&AppName=1

Jaslove thumbnail

Witness horror and sex change in Comedy Circus in Sony

From horror to sex change..this week's Comedy Circus promises to take us on laughter rollercoaster ride.

Breaking News Breaking News Breaking News Breaking News

Karishma Tanna has been possessed by spirits and Ali-Kashif went for a sex change. If you all don't believe me then watch Sony Channel on 18th August at 9.30 pm to witness all the drama, action and yes be ready to laugh all the way.

In the thematic round of Comedy Circus where one comedian from the Jodi has to remain mute while the other do the talking, Karishma Tanna –Khayali bounced back with 'by far the most hilarious performance' of being possessed by spirits of different filmstars and Khayali plays a no-brainer Tantrik, trying his best to drive away the spirits! We must say Khayali finally got his minutes of fame here with Karishma having to be mute in the act! If nothing else Khayali might just impress the Ramsay's and land a role in one of their 'oh so funny' horror films.
Ali-Kashif one with the lowest score in their first few episodes are now experimenting with different characters to impress the judges with their antics. Ali-Khasif turns women where Ali is Soni (Soni Mahiwal fame) and Kashif plays Moni (a struggling village girl). Their act of ' Soni –Moni' of 2 pregnant women wanting to commit suicide was appreciated by the judges so much that Archana suggested they were better of being women. Kasif said "Unlike other jodis (Urvashi-Shakeel, Karihma-Khayali) where one is a female and the other male, they decided to fill in by taking turns in playing woman. Who says there aren't too many women in stand -up comedy, Comedy Circus has had most men turn into women!

Author: Kirti

Slideshow: Shagun
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Why Maaninee had to say NO!
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   September 10, 2007
Misshra refused to participate in the grand finale of Comedy Circus

I Won't Do It: Maaninee Misshra
For those who missed the show on Saturday (and we won't blame you for that 'coz the show never succeeded in raising a laugh!), Sony's Comedy Circus ended on a controversial note.

All the other contestants were present in the grand finale except Maaninee Misshra (who had replaced Ketki Dave when Ketki refused to accept the wild card entry because she was not happy with the show).

Maaninee's refusal came as a jolt to the channel (Sony) and the production house (Optimystix), as a source reveals, "When Ketki was replaced, Vipul D Shah (producer) had issued a statement that he always wanted to work with Maaninee and he was grateful to her because she had bailed them out. Hence, nobody expected a 'no' from her."

Says a channel source, "She told Optimystix that she was busy with some work. Actually, she was cheesed off for being eliminated."

Maaninee remained unavailable for comment. However, Pratap admitted that he had faced some difficulty in the show, since both his partners Maaninee and Ketki did not turn up when they were required.

He says, "I don't know if Maaninee had a problem with the show. Frankly, I was also busy and unable to attend rehearsals with her. Later, I learnt that she had told Optimystix that she could not do the grand finale because she was doing a film."

The winner

Swapnil Joshi and VIP and Ali Asgar and Kashif Khan battled it out for the Comedy Circus trophy.

Tusshar Kapoor, Kunal Khemu, Shakti Kapoor and Shivaji Satam joined as special guests for the finale. As we had reported, Ali Asgar won the contest (HiTLIST, August 28) and will be awarded Rs 20 lakh and a one-year contract with Sony Entertainment Television.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/september/163808.htm

Edited by *Shruti* - 16 years ago
sanober. thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
All in a day's work

he and her costumes were the butt of jokes in Comedy Circus but host Shruti Seth couldn't care less. "When something is said to you as a joke it needs to be treated as one. At the end of the day, it's a comedy show and never has anyone crossed the line while pulling anybody's leg," she reasons. Now that the show is drawing to a close, Shruti has signed another comedy Dhak Dhak, which is a romantic sitcom. Currently, she is hosting Popkorn and Desi Top Twenty on Zoom. She's also completed a film Anubhav,which targets the issue of male prostitution. The film stars Sanjay Suri and Gul Panag. Ask her how she benefits doing bit roles in films like Fanaa and Ta Ra Rum Pum and pat comes her reply, "They are both Yash Raj Productions which by itself is a brand name in the industry".

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=17034

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

All set to turn hero in films
Friday, September 14, 2007 12:13:18 IST
SWAPNIL JOSHI tells JYOTHI VENKATESH that he is making his debut as an actor in Hindi films with Zindagi

What according to you was the beauty of the show Comedy Circus?
The beauty of the show was that there was absolutely no script at all. The show gave me the opportunity to do stand up comedy. I am glad I was appreciated for my performance with my colleague VIP. It was my first attempt at taking part in a reality show.

Why did you take part in Comedy Circus?
It was for the first time that I was appearing in any show as myself- Swapnil Joshi instead of playing a character. I wanted to re-invent myself as an actor and get fresh after working for several years first as a child actor in Luv Kush and then as an adult actor in various comedy serials. I was keen on going in for a reality check to know for myself where I stand as an actor.

Weren't you scared considering you had never done any stand up comedy earlier?
Any one who said that he or she was not scared about taking part in a reality show like Comedy circus was lying through his nose. I was of course scared and was in fact quite worried about competition since there were quite a few tough contenders who were brilliant at comedy.

How were the participating pairs chosen for the show in the first place?
To tell you the truth, all the pairs who you saw in Comedy Circus were chosen at random by the channel. Yes. VIP and I missed the bus but I am happy for Ali Asgar that he and his partner emerged the winners of Comedy Circus. How you gel as a pair and enhance each other's performance in the show was what mattered as far as Comedy Circus was concerned, not just winning the cash prize ultimately.

What do you feel when you look back at your career as an actor?
I was just 17 when Krishna was on air. Then for a period of six years, I was not active at all. Today I am 27. At the cost of sounding immodest, I would say that as a male actor, I am lucky enough to have had a variety of roles within the given parameter.

Which was your most challenging role?
Though I feel that every role that I have played till date has excited me and challenged me immensely, I think the double role which I had played in the serial Hare Kaanch Ki Choodian was the most challenging as far as my career as an actor is concerned. I played not only the leading man in it but also the villain.

Which other serial is close to your heart?
I think Krishna is my best serial and is close to my heart because it was my first ever serial. Krishna also had the maximum reach considering at that time Doordarshan was the only national channel and satellite channels had not made their inroads yet. I also liked my role in the serial Kehta Hai Dil.

How contented are you as an actor?
No actor is contented nervous you thirst fro roles which are better than the role which you are playing. Every actor is hungry for appreciation from the audience again and again by performing better and better. However I would like to say that I am contented as an actor.

How tough was it for you to break out of the bracket of the mythological serial star?
I think I am the only actor who has done mythological serials like Krishna and Luv Kush and yet succeeded in breaking out of the mythological genre effortlessly by carving a niche for myself as an actor in social serials like Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand, Saarthi, Khadvi Khatti Meethi and the Marathi serial Adhoori Ek Kahani on Zee Marathi.

As an actor who has acted in Marathi serials, why do you think Hindi serials are weaker when compared to the Marathi serials?
Creativity automatically gets diluted when you do a Hindi show because you have the responsibility as a producer to cater to a wider audience and hence it is difficult for Hindi TV serial producers to make better shows like the Marathi serial producers

Is it true that you are all set to make your debut in Hindi films?
I am acting in a Hindi film called Zindagi. It is a low budget commercial film in Hindi. Kamal Thakur is directing the film in which I have been cast opposite Girija Oak. Mine is a character-driven role. I play a cancer patient who is dying and counting his days in the hospital. It is all about the journey of this 25 year old boy. Girija plays the role of the nurse in the film. I would say that it is a serious film which has been made on a lighter note.

Do you have any plan to act in Marathi films too, considering Marathi is your mother tongue?
I am acting in the Marathi film Yere Yere Paisa which is being directed by Sanjay Jadhav. Incidentally Jadhav is a cameraman who is making his debut a director with Yere Yere Paisa. It is a Dil Chahta Hai kind of fun film. Jadhav was the cinematographer for Marathi films like Dombivli Fast, Pak Paka Pak, etc.

http://www.cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=xtras&am p;subsection=showbuzz&xfile=September2007_tvtrack_standa rd395&child=tvtrack