Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bhilwara thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: lighthouse

Is it out on DVD? 

Yep...DVD is released since long here in US....desi store may even have dropped it by now.

lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhilwara

Yep...DVD is released since long here in US....desi store may even have dropped it by now.

Thank  you..!!! I called my local Desi store and they don't have it..πŸ˜•  have to find a Blockbuster now...πŸ˜•

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

πŸ˜† πŸ˜†  rt....!!!! I can't even begin to think how Deepa is going to depict India in this one...πŸ˜‰

no problem take a trip through the mumbai local trains in peak hours.. and man, you will know...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† and you would think its a nitrate bomb factory...πŸ˜†

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago

I called my local Desi store and they don't have it..πŸ˜•  have to find a Blockbuster now...πŸ˜• 

Blockbuster has the DVD. Most films by Deepa Mehta, Gurinder Chadha & Mira Nair are available there and also Lagaan.πŸ˜›

Originally posted by: T.

I am saying that it just did not make sense if one considered the environment she lived in - why did she start listening to them? Is it related to her background? Was one of her parents Zoroastrian? Was she educated about these verses? That would be interesting to know from a historical standpoint.

If it was a small form of rebellion, it was not clearly explained. 

Is it a possibility that these versus were to be used in Earth where she showed a Zoroastrian family having troubled times during partition? I still doubt if she could commit such a big blooper when showing a Hindu background. I would love to see the connection between Rig Veda & Khordeh Avesta. Both have similar versus and only the chanting differs. Some even claim that Smriti of Rig Veda are influenced from Avesta. I am very curious to know an explanation to this and tonight I am going to rent Water😊

Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Is it a possibility that these versus were to be used in Earth where she showed a Zoroastrian family having troubled times during partition? I still doubt if she could commit such a big blooper when showing a Hindu background. I would love to see the connection between Rig Veda & Khordeh Avesta. Both have similar versus and only the chanting differs. Some even claim that Smriti of Rig Veda are influenced from Avesta. I am very curious to know an explanation to this and tonight I am going to rent Water😊

My cousin said the same thing after watching Water. Only his response was "She mixed up her movies!" πŸ˜†

I too would love to see proper linguistic comparisons of the RV and ZA side by side. So far I've attempted to find a good source for the same, but am unable to see a lot of similarity apart from some basic words and names.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

My cousin said the same thing after watching Water. Only his response was "She mixed up her movies!" πŸ˜†

I too would love to see proper linguistic comparisons of the RV and ZA side by side. So far I've attempted to find a good source for the same, but am unable to see a lot of similarity apart from some basic words and names.

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†  just like her saree and blouse on the red carper last evening.. mismatched.. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
sparwani thumbnail

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

we have slums in  india but india is not a slum at the same time it has very big malls and very rich people.y r they not shown? y is story of megha pathak not selected? y was RDB or LAGE RAHO  not selected? bcoz they dont want to accept that india is not like they want it to be.

movies are made on all different topics: past, present, future and poor, middle class, rich.

there are definitely movies made that show india's "big malls" and whatever but that doesn't mean you try to supress movies that also show the other side.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: sparwani

movies are made on all different topics: past, present, future and poor, middle class, rich.

there are definitely movies made that show india's "big malls" and whatever but that doesn't mean you try to supress movies that also show the other side.

I don't think Sandya is speaking about why any film like 'Water' is even made. But the fact remains that, only those Indian films which show a poverty stricken or oppressed face of India gets immediate recognition at the international award ceremonies.

And 'Water' is not suppressed in India, it's opening, albeit a li'l late. But that's the director's prerogative whether she wants to shoot the film in India and when she wants to release it.

Edited by souro - 17 years ago
sparwani thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

I don't think Sandya is speaking about why any film like 'Water' is even made. But the fact remains that, only those Indian films which show a poverty stricken or oppressed face of India gets immediate recognition at the international award ceremonies.

And 'Water' is not suppressed in India, it's opening, albeit a li'l late. But that's the director's prerogative whether she wants to shoot the film in India and when she wants to release it.

at the oscars there is really only one category for foreign films. so naturally there will be a bias towards films that shine light on the human condition. they're really looking for movies with deeper meaning in this category.

anyway no need to be worried about what international award shows think of bollywood movies. if indians like the same old love stories in film after film, then so be it