Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Miss.Colorfull thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
the movie was banned cuz people doesn,t want to see the reality and truth they do to young girls who get married
and then if their husband dies they have to stay widow
for her whole life. it, wrong and people can,t see the
things they did to young girls.they don,t want to accept that it,s wrong. they are trying to hide it on the name of religion and in reality religion doesn,t even say the things they want to force on people
Prenz~13 thumbnail
The problem with the Indian Society is that people can't zccept what stares them in the face. I think it's highly commendable that Deepa Mehta has gone all-out and made this film. After I read an article which talked about what all she went through while making this film, I really was touched.

I haven't seen the movie, but as far as what I know,it's a movie about widow remarraige in the Hindu community. Even I can't understand why the movie was banned. If there is nothing of the sort the movie showed going on, then what's the problem if it is shown? It just goes to show that those who protested against the filming, and later banned the release of the film are trying to hide what there is.

Movies like Water don't tarnish the image of the country, but protests like these sure do.

Water to some in India is Da Vinci Code to some in the west.

Perspective 1:  I haven't watched Water yet. But from the reviews I gather that it is about plight of widows in the 30s-40s near Varanasi. First I don't understand why Water has got so much publicity when we have had so many films dealing with the same issue and much more sensitively? Could it be because it comes from a pseudo-director settled in Canada making movies to satisfy west's prejudiced view of actual India? She has succeeded in that as various news channels and newspapers are carrying a story about how an Indian Hindu woman fought against the Hindu fanaticism to finish her last film in the trilogy. Now icing on the cake is the movie making it to final 5 in the Oscar run.

Perspective 2: I am tired of everyone wanting Hindus to be accommodating always. Deepa Mehta in her second film 'Fire' of all names chose to name her two lesbian central characters as Seeta and Radha. Deepa Mehta being Hindu woman, who claims to be reasonable and sensitive, could have avoided this controversy. But she was purposely inviting controversy to make a bigger name in the pseudo-directors list and now she has achieved that with water. Only in India will we find a painter like M F Hussain who draws distasteful pictures of Hindu goddesses alleviated to the highest status whereas Muslims all over the world united against offensive caricatures of Prophet (peace be on him). 

I wouldn't be surprised if Water actually won an Oscar but I won't revere it. I am fine with a Rang de Basanti or Lage raho Munnabhai myself. As for movies showing sad plight of Indian widows I have had my share watching few Malayalam and Bengali films, very well made without any controversy.

Originally posted by: MonicA#1Actress

Because India still has age-old discriminations and there are malnourished kids without clothing living in slums.

first of all india dosent have age old discirminations and if anyone does pracitice those then they r punished we have law against them.

we have slums in  india but india is not a slum at the same time it has very big malls and very rich people.y r they not shown? y is story of megha pathak not selected? y was RDB or LAGE RAHO  not selected? bcoz they dont want to accept that india is not like they want it to be.

Usually, movies that are touching and that have an important  message are popular at the Oscars.

do u mean to say only movies like these t touching was RDB not touching?y r such films not made by her?

What do you want Deepa Mehta to send? A movie with the hero and herione dancing and singing to each other?? I am sorry, but that is TOTALLY not relevant to the image of India either.

image is made or broke people who make such type of movies (am not saying they sld not be made but not only this type)they potray this image to the world and more over their media want to potray this image of india. therefore they do not select movies like RDB or lage raho which show the brighter side of india.

Instead of trying to suppress the movie, suppress the problem that still exists.

am not trying to supress her nor the movies of this kind nor am i supporting the people who destroyed the set etc. but i really do not support her for showing only this aspect of india and the jury who see only this aspect.

Deepa Mehta is an Indian or of Indian origin(Not too sure),she is being  and brought up in US but she is bound to make a movie about the Indian society, rather than, let's say, American or Chinese. Women in India are still highly suppressed.

who told u? and wht r u talking abt india women in other countries r much more suppressed. that other day only maya showed that article abt shia women. as i said earlier women have been supressed through out the world dont tell me women were not abused in west.

God forbid, if you were to become a widow, how would everyone around you reacte??

if i became a widow i will never be treated the way people think india widows r. and if there r incidences of this kind they r certainly not of the level as is shown in that movie not in this 21st century.

i appreciate makers like gurinder chaddha more who show the other side of indian women and society rather than earn fame and money at the expense of degrading the image of ur country

this is wht is the wrong thing india has slum but it is not a slum india has beggars but indians r not beggars

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Water to some in India is Da Vinci Code to some in the west.

Perspective 1:  I haven't watched Water yet. But from the reviews I gather that it is about plight of widows in the 30s-40s near Varanasi. First I don't understand why Water has got so much publicity when we have had so many films dealing with the same issue and much more sensitively? Could it be because it comes from a pseudo-director settled in Canada making movies to satisfy west's prejudiced view of actual India? She has succeeded in that as various news channels and newspapers are carrying a story about how an Indian Hindu woman fought against the Hindu fanaticism to finish her last film in the trilogy. Now icing on the cake is the movie making it to final 5 in the Oscar run.

Perspective 2: I am tired of everyone wanting Hindus to be accommodating always. Deepa Mehta in her second film 'Fire' of all names chose to name her two lesbian central characters as Seeta and Radha. Deepa Mehta being Hindu woman, who claims to be reasonable and sensitive, could have avoided this controversy. But she was purposely inviting controversy to make a bigger name in the pseudo-directors list and now she has achieved that with water. Only in India will we find a painter like M F Hussain who draws distasteful pictures of Hindu goddesses alleviated to the highest status whereas Muslims all over the world united against offensive caricatures of Prophet (peace be on him). 

I wouldn't be surprised if Water actually won an Oscar but I won't revere it. I am fine with a Rang de Basanti or Lage raho Munnabhai myself. As for movies showing sad plight of Indian widows I have had my share watching few Malayalam and Bengali films, very well made without any controversy.

👏 i wasnt expecting it from u but am very happy a very unbiased post.

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

👏 i wasnt expecting it from u but am very happy a very unbiased post.

👏 👏 Excellent Maya.... Coming to DM.. I have met a totally different Maya than from the BB... 👏 😊 In BB your posts were always funny and in DM your posts on each topic are precise and clear in thought.... I just love them.. and as Neetu would say... completely agreed with you!!!..... 😊

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sweta01

👏 👏 Excellent Maya.... Coming to DM.. I have met a totally different Maya than from the BB... 👏 😊 In BB your posts were always funny and in DM your posts on each topic are precise and clear in thought.... I just love them.. and as Neetu would say... completely agreed with you!!!..... 😊

Nice post Maya ji!!👏 Agree with the things mentioned!!There is a play called "Kanyasulkam" written by Shri Gurazada Apparao in telugu, in that play the society,pitiable state of young widows was depicted very well with a classy humour rather classy satirical humour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanyasulkam

I think we have films based on this concept in Malayalam,Bengali also earlier!!! For that matter Dor is also not new film ,its already in Malayalam.However each script is unique,each film is unique each director is unique,so also actors!!

PS: Maya ji and funny!!! She is no more funny these days!!! (This is not comment,please don't report)

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail
I really liked your post Maya, but I still don't see a reason to ban WATER. It is not the greatest movie ever, yet it doesn't deserve to be banned.
Banning Da Vinci Code in India was bizarre too..
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I've been waiting so long for someone to say it but since noone had, I think I better break the news. Hello DMers, please wake up and smell the coffee, 'Water' is not banned in India, it is distributed by BR Films and will be in the theatres this March 9th. Now are you all happy??

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

I've been waiting so long for someone to say it but since noone had, I think I better break the news. Hello DMers, please wake up and smell the coffee, 'Water' is not banned in India, it is distributed by BR Films and will be in the theatres this March 9th. Now are you all happy??

So they lifted the ban?? 👍🏼 
TFS Souro!!