Anastacia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Maha Shivratri

Celebrating the night of Lord Shiva...

Happy Maha Shivratri to all I-Fians!

Some background info about this festival. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Mahashivaratri Festival

Mahashivaratri FestivalMahashivaratri Festival or the 'The Night of Shiva' is celebrated with devotion and religious fervor in honor of Lord Shiva, one of the deities of Hindu Trinity. Shivaratri falls on the moonless 14th night of the new moon in the Hindu month of Phalgun, which corresponds to the month of February - March in English Calendar. Celebrating the festival of Shivaratri devotees observe day and night fast and perform ritual worship of Shiva Lingam to appease Lord Shiva.

Legends of Mahashivratri
There are various interesting legends related to the festival of Maha Shivaratri. According to one of the most popular legends, Shivaratri marks the wedding day of Lord Shiva and Parvati. Some believe that it was on the auspicious night of Shivaratri that Lord Shiva performed the 'Tandava', the dance of the primal creation, preservation and destruction. Another popular Shivratri legend stated in Linga Purana states that it was on Shivaratri that Lord Shiva manifested himself in the form of a Linga. Hence the day is considered to be extremely auspicious by Shiva devotees and they celebrate it as Mahashivaratri - the grand night of Shiva.

Traditions and Customs of Shivaratri
Various traditions and customs related to Shivaratri Festival are dutifully followed by the worshippers of Lord Shiva. Devotees observe strict fast in honor of Shiva, though many go on a diet of fruits and milk some do not consume even a drop of water. Devotees strongly believe that sincere worship of Lord Shiva on the auspicious day of Shivaratri, absolves a person of sins and liberates him from the cycle of birth and death. Shivaratri is considered especially auspicious for women. While married women pray for the well being of their husbands unmarried women pray for a husband like Lord Shiva, who is regarded as the ideal husband.

To mark the Shivratri festival, devotees wake up early and take a ritual bath, preferably in river Ganga. After wearing fresh new clothes devotees visit the nearest Shiva temple to give ritual bath to the Shiva Lingum with milk, honey, water etc.

On Shivaratri, worship of Lord Shiva continues all through the day and night. Every three hours priests perform ritual pooja of Shivalingam by bathing it with milk, yoghurt, honey, ghee, sugar and water amidst the chanting of "Om Namah Shivaya' and ringing of temple bells. Nightlong vigil or jaagran is also observed in Shiva temples where large number of devotees spend the night singing hymns and devotional songs in praise of Lord Shiva. It is only on the following morning that devotee break their fast by partaking prasad offered to the deity.

The Dev. Team at I-F and the Crazy Creatives would like to wish all Hindus a happy shivratri.

Edited by Belle1989 - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*shikha* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Happy Shivratri to everyone!!!...btw how many of u guyz are fasting??

***Yay!..i was the first one to reply..lol....sry...its my first time so im getting kinda hyped up๐Ÿ˜ณ***
Edited by *shikha* - 17 years ago

heey uu tooo??
are u guys going to the mandiir?
i am! ๐Ÿ˜‰

happy shivratri to all myy hindduu friendss!!!!..or anyone who celebrates iit

Edited by babii.girl - 17 years ago
desi21 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
happy shivratri guys isnt it tomm??
i am fasting but cant go to mandir cuz i got wrk
momogrl21 thumbnail

Wowww....Shivaratri is here!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Wishing all my friends who celebrate a very
Happy Shivaratri!!!
May Lord Shiva bless you all!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Good Luck to all those who are fasting! ๐Ÿ˜›

Love,
Momo

Vandu4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Happy Shivratri all๐Ÿ˜ณ

I'll fast on shivratri & go 2 temple๐Ÿ˜›

Himani85 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
maha shivratri ki hoi sorry some words i m not sure relly how they go ๐Ÿ˜•
Lord-Mangeshwar thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Happy Shivratri to everyone that is celebrating ๐Ÿ˜Š

I'll be fasting without any food or drink as usual. Unfortunately I won't be able go to the Mandir... instead I will be praying at my little mandir at my flat.

I pray that everyone is happy and that everyone has their wishes fulfiled. ๐Ÿ˜Š

God bless.
ajeebhotum thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: *shikha*

Happy Shivratri to everyone!!!...btw how many of u guyz are fasting??

***Yay!..i was the first one to reply..lol....sry...its my first time so im getting kinda hyped up๐Ÿ˜ณ***

im fasting๐Ÿ˜ณ...

happy Shivratru to evryone๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜ณ

TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Subh Maha Shiv raatri to everyone!!!
i'll go to the mandir for sure! ๐Ÿ˜‰