Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

It happens on Soap operas

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

In vitro fertilization (IVF) is when the eggs are fertilized with sperm externally and then implanted back into the uterus. Thousands of couples across the globe who face fertility challenges use IVF. To increase the chances of success, multiple fertilized eggs are implanted back into the uterus. It is highly common for women getting pregnant by IVF to have twins or triplets (think Phoebe Buffay). These are typically fraternal twins/triplets as two to three eggs develop and take off (unlike identical twins, where one fertilized egg divides). 

It is extremely rare but probable for the IVF clinic to mess up to mix up the implant, which leads to twins but with two different fathers. 

- The woman's eggs were fertilized by two different sperm donors and implanted back in and one egg from each donor took off

- Another woman's eggs were mixed in and one egg from each woman took off. In this case, the twins have two different sets of parents

Another extremely rare case of fraternal twins is possible when sperm from two different men succeeds in fertilizing eggs naturally. This can occur when the men have sex with the same women within a short window. 

Purple5 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

In vitro fertilization (IVF) is when the eggs are fertilized with sperm externally and then implanted back into the uterus. Thousands of couples across the globe who face fertility challenges use IVF. To increase the chances of success, multiple fertilized eggs are implanted back into the uterus. It is highly common for women getting pregnant by IVF to have twins or triplets (think Phoebe Buffay). These are typically fraternal twins/triplets as two to three eggs develop and take off (unlike identical twins, where one fertilized egg divides). 

It is extremely rare but probable for the IVF clinic to mess up to mix up the implant, which leads to twins but with two different fathers. 

- The woman's eggs were fertilized by two different sperm donors and implanted back in and one egg from each donor took off

- Another woman's eggs were mixed in and one egg from each woman took off. In this case, the twins have two different sets of parents

Another extremely rare case of fraternal twins is possible when sperm from two different men succeeds in fertilizing eggs naturally. This can occur when the men have sex with the same women within a short window. 

Thanks for explaining this in detail. 
I am just confused on the last part. During ovulation only one egg is released by the woman’s body so how can 2 partners impregnate the woman successfully? I thought once the sperm fertilizes the egg, the egg then releases substances to block further sperms from coming into contact. 

[Post Removed]

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

The whole movie depends on how well they explain it... If like that Ritesh-Ginelia movie where they explained the cause in last 5 minutes after hell lot of cringe toh it won't work.

Rumours are it's based on heteropaternal superfecundation

Heteropaternal superfecundation is an extremely rare phenomenon that occurs when a second ova released during the same menstrual cycle is additionally fertilized by the sperm cells of a different man in separate sexual intercourse taking place within a short period of time from the first one

Originally posted by: Purple5

Thanks for explaining this in detail. 
I am just confused on the last part. During ovulation only one egg is released by the woman’s body so how can 2 partners impregnate the woman successfully? I thought once the sperm fertilizes the egg, the egg then releases substances to block further sperms from coming into contact. 

There is a rare condition called hyperovulation where women release more than one egg during ovulation. 

Originally posted by: oh_nakhrewaali

The whole movie depends on how well they explain it... If like that Ritesh-Ginelia movie where they explained the cause in last 5 minutes after hell lot of cringe toh it won't work.

Rumours are it's based on heteropaternal superfecundation

Heteropaternal superfecundation is an extremely rare phenomenon that occurs when a second ova released during the same menstrual cycle is additionally fertilized by the sperm cells of a different man in separate sexual intercourse taking place within a short period of time from the first one

This was the second scenario in my post - I didn't know the term. 

Good Newzz was about an error at the IVF facility. I am assuming the error scenario is more likely. This is so rare - and it would be way too edgy for an Indian film to show a woman have sex with two men and get pregnant from both. 

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

This was the second scenario in my post - I didn't know the term. 

Good Newzz was about an error at the IVF facility. I am assuming the error scenario is more likely. This is so rare - and it would be way too edgy for an Indian film to show a woman have sex with two men and get pregnant from both. 

I found an insta post which said movie  was about heteropaternal superfecundation. But as you said, error with IVF does make more sense continuity (with theme) wise

Originally posted by: oh_nakhrewaali

I found an insta post which said movie  was about heteropaternal superfecundation. But as you said, error with IVF does make more sense continuity (with theme) wise

It looks like a rom-com on it was planned in Hollywood, but I don't think it got made. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2018/dec/11/one-set-twins-two-fathers-how-common-is-superfecundation