Fashion (2008) was a problematic film

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 5 months ago

I just rewatched Fashion and found the depiction of women charachters as problematic.

Maybe because I am older now, I found it to be problematic on so many levels.

What's with the representation of ambitious career women as cold, conniving, and/or morally compromised? This perpetuates harmful stereotypes about women in positions of power and reinforces the notion that success requires sacrificing integrity and authenticity.

Then women pitted against each other. The film depicts intense rivalry and competition among female characters, often portraying them as adversaries rather than allies. While conflict can be a compelling narrative device, the portrayal of women as inherently competitive reinforces harmful stereotypes.

Do you guys agree?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

Thought this was gonna be about the black dude smiley44

ImaginativeGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I kind of agree.

I watched a movie called "Calendar Girls" ( by Madhur Bhandarkar as well) which is along the same lines as fashion - basically women who shoot/model for Calenders and hence a lot of opportunities open up to them.

This movie was better made according to me since it did reinforce that women who are smart and have the right attitude can succeed in life without compromising their morals.

The concept of choice was well represented in movie. Probably this movie was flop, but I did enjoy it.

Anyone else watched it?

On second thought, fashion kind of makes the point that if you climb the ladder too fast by compromising your integrity you fall flat on your back as it happened with PC's character.

Only when she redeemed herself and was willing to put in the actual hard work, she climbed back to her supermodel position.

I do agree on the fights between females and putting each other down which is not pleasant to watch.

PC's character was a major B to most of the women characters.

mintyblue thumbnail

No, I've not watched it.

Watched Page 3 and Fashion by Madhur Bhandarkar.

Page 3 is by far the superior movie.

Originally posted by: mintyblue

No, I've not watched it.

Watched Page 3 and Fashion by Madhur Bhandarkar.

Page 3 is by far the superior movie.

Totally agree on Page 3.

mintyblue thumbnail

I love your signaturesmiley27

Books are the perfect escape from an imperfect reality - Anonymous

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Cpt.DudleySmith

Thought this was gonna be about the black dude smiley44

PC is lucky that Americans haven't seen her non-American movies.

Jazzkapur thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: mintyblue

I just rewatched Fashion and found the depiction of women charachters as problematic.

Maybe because I am older now, I found it to be problematic on so many levels.

What's with the representation of ambitious career women as cold, conniving, and/or morally compromised? This perpetuates harmful stereotypes about women in positions of power and reinforces the notion that success requires sacrificing integrity and authenticity.

Then women pitted against each other. The film depicts intense rivalry and competition among female characters, often portraying them as adversaries rather than allies. While conflict can be a compelling narrative device, the portrayal of women as inherently competitive reinforces harmful stereotypes.

Do you guys agree?

i think u haven't watched madhur bhandarkar's 'heroine' with kareena. Atleast fashion movie showed bad consequences of arrogance n priyanka realises her mistakes n she becomes super model again at the end of the movie. But in heroine, Kareena's character was much worse n at the end, she is roaming around in some foreign country n hides her real identity. The ending is 'jo khushi mahi ko unchai pe pohochke nahi mili, vo khushi usse aam logo ke bich ek aam zindagi me milli' but mahi was not looking happy at all. She was looking alone n lost. N what message was they trying to portray? That a girl can't be happy as a heroine so she should just live normal life? This movie is very discouraging for inspiring actresses n it's misogynist
Edited by Jazzkapur - 5 months ago