ArNi SS : A Case of Misidentity | Completed

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

Disclaimer: This is an alternate universe story,  characters behave differently because they're from another gola.

ArNi are endgame in this, Riya is a coworker who has a crush on Arjun (kisko nai hogasmiley2)smiley36 But it's meant to be fun and lighthearted, or so I thought. Don't worry, maza aayegasmiley36

Chapter 1 : Below.

Chapter 2 : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/164956139

Chapter 3 : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/165014037

Chapter 4 : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/165053376

Chapter 5 :  https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/165108177

Epilogue : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/165125332

---

Special feature : Ms. Deeya Kulkarni, Age 24, Criminal Psychologist.

Rest of the characters same as the show. 

-*-

In the large scheme of things, there's usually smaller things that happen and sometimes it's much larger things that are happening. It's a bright sunny day, here on Earth 326. Let's look at what is new with the ETF team. Although all of their days are filled with interesting cases, and loaded with work, today is particularly peculiar. 

Shree looked over, seeing Arjun smile as he talked on the phone. “Akdu khadoos aaj kuch jyada hi khush lag raha.” 

“Shayad unki mystery woman se baat kar rahe hai.” Chotu added.

“Aur madam, aap kab iss mystery ko solve karengi?” Shree turned to Riya. 

“Bahut jald-” Riya paused as they saw Arjun coming towards the conference room.

News from the HQ is that a new member is joining today.

“Team,” Arjun announced, “Meet Ms. Deeya Kulkarni, Criminal Psychologist and our new team member.” He introduced the team. 

Riya Mukherjee, Research Analyst

Shreekant Sen, Technical Expert

Chandrakant Patil, Tactical Expert

Deeya shook hands with them. 

"We don't have any cases yet, so finish up your pending paperwork. Riya, help her with joining reports and other paperwork and show the office to Deeya before you start."

"Yes sir!" Riya nodded. 

"Sir, you didn't introduce yourself." Deeya smiled.

Arjun raised a brow. "ACP Arjun. Second in Command, ETF." 

"Enchanté." She held his hand for a moment. 

"Bien." Arjun smiled at her before leaving. 

"Oh, we have a polyglot showoff." Riya looked at Shree. 

"Hai, arigatou. (yes, thanks) Would you like to learn a language or two?" Deeya offered. 

"That's very kind of you." Riya hesitated for a moment. "Let's finish your joining formalities first." Both girls went to the HR desk to complete the formalities. Riya turned around, showing her the workspaces of Shree, the Forensic lab, pantry and dining area and the club.

“By the way,” Riya paused for a moment, “Do you know Arjun sir from before?”

“Never met that man in my life. Why?”

“Drop that fake accent now, we know-”

“I’m an OxBridge graduate, this accent is acquired.” Deeya looked at her, “You don’t have to be jealous of me, darling.”

“Why would I be jealous of you?”

She shrugged, “Thanks for showing me around, I guess it's time to get back to work?”

“I have a lot to do, I don’t know what you’re supposed to-”

“Deeya!” Arjun called.

“yes, sir?”

Arjun handed her some files. “Check these reports and fine tune them as needed. I will be in my office.”

Deeya took the files and returned to the conference room with Riya. Shree and Chotu were buried in paperwork.

“Kuch jyada hi aram se aa rahi hai Ri! Dekh tera filing sab pending hai.” Shree said.

“Nahi, mera sab paperwork ready hai, bas thoda sa-

“Ye pura bundle tumhara hai.” Chotu pointed at the tallest one.

Riya groaned as she settled on her chair.

Deeya placed the files on the furthest corner and picked a chair.

“Wo chair Arjun sir ki hai.” Riya stopped her.

Deeya looked at the chair, “I don't see a name on it but I’ll get up when he’s here.” She shrugged and settled on it.

Shree, Riya and Chotu looked at her and then at each other.

“You guys can stop looking at me like I’m an alien, okay? I don’t bite.”

“Aisi baat nahi hai-”

“Chotu!” Riya smacked his hand, shaking her head.

Deeya dug her head into the file, so did the trio. 

Sometime later she looked across the room, Arjun was on his desk. He raised his eyebrows in question. She blinked and smiled in response. He nodded and resumed his work. 

Riya looked at the two, silently interacting. “Guys, I'm going to make coffee, you want some?”

Shree and Chotu raised their hands without looking up. 

“Would you make a cup for me, love?” Deeya asked. “Extra sugar, please.”

“Sure.”

Few minutes later, Riya returned with five cups of coffee. Deeya please give this one to Arjun sir and this is your extra sweet.”

“Thank you so much, love. I'll take this to him.” Deeya placed a few files and two cups of coffee on the tree and walked up to Arjun's cabin. 

“Kya chal raha hai? Shree asked. 

“Waiting to see Arjun sir's reaction for that coffee. Remember the last time I got him?”

“Of course!” Shree cleared his throat and imitated Arjun, “Stop wasting your time making me coffee and complete your work.” 

Deeya walked in and placed the tray on the table. “Coffee for you.”

“You know I don't drink.”

“I know but your colleague sent it with so much love I couldn't refuse.”

“And I am still not going to have it.”

“That's fine, I'll have it later.”

“You shouldn't be drinking that much coffee that's not good for you.”

“Tch. Iced coffee tastes better anyway. I had some doubts with these files. Can you look into it?”  

“Sure.” Arjun picks up the file and goes through it.

-

Shree and Riya look at each other “Daant to dur isse to sir ne kuchh sunaya bhi nahin.” 

“Kuchh to chhut raha hai Ri,” Shree imitated Arjun, rubbing his fingers together. “Kahin ye tera patta kaatne to nahin ayi?” 

“Itni aasani se toh nahi.” 

“Yaar, tum log na, bekar mein overreact kar rahe, they could be old friends or cousins!” Chotu shook his head. 

“Chal iski history nikalte hai.” Shree opened his laptop. “Pura naam bata.”

“Deeya Kulkarni.” Riya said.

“Wo to mujhe bhi pata hai. Uske papa ka naam?”

“Nahi pata.”

“Tune uski joining report bharwayi na, dekha nahi kya?”

“Arre wo main- sh-t, nahi dhyan diya.”

“Kya Riya, ab main kaise details nikalu?”

Riya looked at the two, “Uski file abhi Arjun sir ke paas hogi signatures ke liye,”

“Pagal hai kya? Marwayegi tu!” Shree smacked her head. “Waise bhi Arjun sir ki soft side dekh ke dimag ghas charne gaya hai tera.

“Soft side?”

“Arre, wo nayi hai, thoda usko pamper kar rahe honge, kahin ek hi din mein darr ke na bhaag jaye.”

“Hum bhi toh naye thhe, hume kisine pamper nahi kiya.”

“Ye bhi hai.” Shree nodded as he typed her name on Instagram. Lots of profiles opened up. He scrolled through the list, “Waise, kahin yahi toh sir ki mystery woman toh nahi?”

“Pata nahi lekin maanna to padega. Itne time mein hum mein se koi Arjun sir ke sath unke sofe pe nahi baitha, aur madam ko dekho, aate hi-” Chotu remarked.

“Hum bhi Oxford se padh ke aate toh shayad aisi treatment milti. Special special.” Shree teased Riya. 

-

“Deeya, how was your day?” Arjun asked as he signed the last file for the day.

“It was good, although the team members are nice, they find me difficult. A showoff they said,” Deeya chuckled.

“Probably the accent.”

“Especially the accent. Asked me ‘drop it’.”

“Who?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

Arjun looked up from the file, narrowing his eyes.

“Sir.” Riya knocked on his cabin door, and brought in some files. “The last bit is done now.” She placed the files on his desk. “Sir, should I call it a day?”

“Yes.” Arjun looked at his calender. “Riya, how are you going home today?”

“By taxi.”

“Wait for a few minutes, I have some work around that side, so we’ll drop you off.”

Riya smiled and went to her desk to pack her bag. She took a deep breath, screaming internally. “It’s going to be the two of us, long drive-”

“Let’s go!” Deeya tapped her desk.

Riya’s face fell, she picked her bag and walked ahead.

Riya settled on the back seat. ‘How did I become the third wheel? Who is this girl and how did she speedrun through-’

“Turn down the volume.” Arjun said as he started the SUV. “All the way down.”

Deeya turned off the radio. “Down enough?”

"I can still hear it." He muttered.

After a few minutes of silence, Arjun turned on the radio. 

Welcome to Radio City! Aaj ki shaam…

Deeya turned the volume down and connected her phone. Souvenir by Bump of Chicken played. 

"Ah, finally! You had this song stuck in my head all day. Next, play that peanuts song." Arjun said. 

"Mixed Nuts?" 

"Yes. That one!" 

Deeya was humming the song and looking out of the window. “Stop looking at me.”

“I didn't even-” Arjun looked at her. “Are you hungry?”

“Yes.” she muttered.

He shook his head and pulled over. “Go, get something.”

Deeya rushed out.

“How did you know she was hungry?” Riya voiced, hesitantly.

“It's not rocket science.” Arjun picked his phone and texted Roshni. 

Deeya returned with a packet. “Blueberry muffins! They're the best!” She gave one to Arjun and turned to Riya.

“Sorry, I can't have it. I'm allergic to blueberries.”

“Oh dear! How severe is the allergy? Should I put these away, while you're in?” Deeya closed the packet. 

“It's moderate, so as long as I'm not ingesting any, I'm fine.” 

“Alrighty sweetstuff, shall I bring you something?” 

“No, I'm fine.” Deeya resumed eating her muffin. 

They stopped at the signal, a young boy was selling flowers. 

“Bhaiya, didi ke liye phool le lo, na!” Arjun smiled at him. 

“Idhar aao.” Deeya smiled at the child and bought all the flowers. 

“Don't give him that much money. Buy him dinner instead.”

“Good idea" she picked up his wallet, took some cash and left with the child. She crossed the road and got the child a plate of pav bhaji and pani puri. She also had some herself. 

Arjun was watching them from his car. For a moment he lost sight of the year and felt his heart pounding. 

Riya noticed his unease, "Sir, why do you care about her so much?”

“What?”

“For a moment she wasn't in your sight and you started panicking.” 

Deeya knocked on the window, bringing in a plate of pani puri. “This is for you!” She held the plate towards Arjun. “Riya, would you like some?”

“No, I don't eat street food, it's unhygienic.” 

“Well more for us, then.” She poured the pani and fed one puri to Arjun as he began driving. 

“Is it good?’

“Yes.”

Deeya picked a rose and gave it to Arjun. “A phool for my fool!”

“Thank you.” Arjun placed it in his pocket.

She put the gajra on her hair. “Sweety, you want one?” 

“No thanks.”

“How far is your house, dear?” 

“Less than an hour now.” 

“Call aunty and tell her we'll be a little late.”

“Oh, no need, I've already told her we're not coming.”

Arjun glanced at her, “Then, why am I driving all the way opposite to my house?”

“Because.” She shrugged, “Also, I don't feel like going home.”

“You've been roaming around the world and still don't feel like going home?”

“Not really. Let's have dinner at some good place?”

“Okay, but you choose the place.”

“Tch. Ani, tu na -”

“Tu? Deeya? Arjun sir sirf hamare senior nahi, umra mein bhi hum se bade hai. Thik se baat kar-”

“Ayyaa!! Aai Saheb! Tumhi kadhi aala, mi olakhlach nahi.” (When did you come, I didn't realise.) 

“What?” Riya asked, not understanding Marathi.

“Oh, I thought the holy spirit of my dead mother possessed you. Teaching me manners and all.” 

Riya looked at her, “I was just-” Her words trailed off as she saw Arjun hold Deeya's hand to calm her. “Sorry about your mother.” 

“Tu decide kar kuthe jayacha, mi jhoptey.” Deeya closed her eyes and slipped her hand off his, ignoring Riya. (You decide where to go, I'm sleeping) 

Few minutes later, Arjun stopped the car on the side and got down. He returned with a box. 

“Deeyu, this is for you.” 

She held the box as Arjun settled on the driving seat. “Khol.”

“Aata?”

“Ho.” 

Deeya opened the box and smiled. She ate a piece of Ras Malai and her smile widened. She ate another bite and another one. “Omg, it's so good! Mwwah! I love you!”

“Hmm..I-” 

She put a piece in Arjun's mouth. “Riya, you want some?”

“No, I don't eat desserts before dinner.” 

“Whatever.” Deeya muttered and filled a mouthful. 

“We could go to your penthouse, it's close by, right?”

“Relatively.” Arjun nodded.

After eating to her heart's content, Deeya said, “Decided then, dinner and then night out at your penthouse. It's a starry night, will be pretty fun.”

“Perfect.” Arjun smiled. She wasn't sad anymore. 

Arjun's phone chimed. Deeya picked it and replied to Roshni. 

“What are you doing?”

“Making your life chotto (little) spicy.” She winked and quickly typed a reply. 

Arjun heard a few more chimes and giggles. “Stop now!”

“I'm not done yet. The fun has just begun.”

“Who are you texting?”

“Your lawyer, who else?”

“Okay, now, give my phone back.”

“Hold on, the climax is yet to come.”

“Climax? What is going on?”

“Oh, it's nothing like that, we're just talking about How To Get Away With Murder?” (the show)

Riya looked up, “You can't really get away with a murder, though. Not if the investigating officer is someone like Arjun sir.”

“Sweetheart it's not rocket science, no body, no murder. Phir Arjun ho ya uska ba’(p), koi kuchh nahi kar sakta.”

“How dare you bring my ba’ here,” Arjun feigned anger. “Poor thing can barely find his glasses.” Arjun shook his head.

“Baba and his specs, an unseen love story.” Deeya chuckled. 

The phone buzzed again and she answered the call. “Helluu aai!"

“Beta, mi ghari pohochli.” Shalini, Arjun’s mother spoke from the other side.

"Pohochli ka, chhaan!” Deeya chirped.

“Ho, tumhi yetay ka ghari?” (Are you coming home?)

“Nahi ‘ga, aamhi baher jevayla jatoy, mag penthouse la-ch rahu, chalel na?” (No, we’re going out, will be in the penthouse, works?)

“Mastach ki, majaa kara ani jevan vagere vyavasthit kar. Mi jaam damli ‘ye, jhopte aata.” (Good, enjoy and eat well. I’m tired, will sleep now.)

“Accha, take care, sleep well. I love you!” 

“Love you too, baccha, take care.” Shalini disconnected the call. 

“Aai reached home.” Deeya told Arjun who nodded and she continued her texts.

Arjun saw the colourful emojis from the corner of his eyes. “What are you texting now?” 

“The real climax.” She placed a finger on her lips and winked.

“Enough now.” Arjun grabbed his phone from her hands. “Time out.” She pouted. “Sleep.”

“mm'kay, dad.” She mumbled, closing her eyes.

Arjun shook his head and continued driving and finally stopped outside Riya's residence. 

“Are we home already?” Deeya opened her eyes.

“It's my house. Want to come in?” Riya offered. 

“Yes, sure!” 

“Sir, aap nahi ayenge?” 

“No thanks.”

Riya picked her bag and got off. 

Arjun held Deeya's hand. “Where?”

“Gotta change into something cute!” Deeya picked her bag.

“Fine, be quick.” 

Deeya waved her fingers and ran upto Riya. “Honestly, honey, I didn't think you'd ask.”

“It was a formality, I didn't think you'd accept.” Riya retorted.

“Ah! My sleepy dumbass didn't pick on the social cue. Nevermind.” 

Riya rolled her eyes and unlocked the door.

Deeya looked at the well kept apartment. “Neat place. You really like keeping things clean, don't you?”

“Yes. Thanks. Would you like some coffee?”

“No. Also, thanks for asking me to come in, I was planning to change into something casual. Do you mind if I change here?”

“Umm, sure. Bedroom's that way.” 

Two minutes later, Deeya called her. “Hey sweety, could you please help me with the zipper.”

Riya came in and fastened the zipper. Deeya was wearing a light pink knee length one piece. 

“It's a lovely dress.” Riya complimented her, half-heartedly.

“It has pockets!” Deeya put hands in her pockets and twirled. 

“Nice!” Riya smiled.

Deeya put on some eyeshadow to match her dress. Next, she opened a box of jewellery and put on some rings.

“That's a pretty bracelet.”

“I know right!” Deeya caressed it fondly. “Ani gifted it to me, from his first salary!”

“How long have you known sir?”

“Long enough.” She applied red lipstick. 

“You think dressing up and being such a pick me is going to help you get cosy-”

“I shall stop you right there, sweety.” Deeya turned to her, “Firstly, never in my life have I dressed up for a man and about Arjun? He simply doesn't care what I wear. Also, your little obsession over Arjun sir needs to go.”

“What do you mean?”

“Sweetheart, going after a married man just  doesn't look good on you. you can do much better darling.” “Married? No, Arjun sir is not-”

“You're simply wasting your time, my dear, the sky has a lot more stars.” She picked her bag. “Thanks for having me over, see you tomorrow and I'll surely stop over for coffee some other day.”

Riya looked on as she walked over to the car. Arjun was waiting outside and he clicked some pictures as she posed. He opened the door for her and they drove off. 

Riya locked the door and closed her eyes. 

Arjun sir aur unki mystery woman, kahin ye wahi toh nahi?

-

Arjun paid the bill and looked over. “Happy tummy time?”

“Oh it's more than happy!” Deeya grinned.

“Good. Where to, now?”

“Club? Gotta get the food settled.”

“Going for a walk would be better, though.”

“I promise I won't embarrass you in the club.” She crossed her fingers.

He sighed. “Let's go, then.” 

Moonlight Shadow Club

“One dry martini and a soda, please.” Deeya ordered the bartender. “Can I request songs?”

“You can try. The DJ is over there.” He pointed vaguely.

“Thanks.” Deeya walked around to the DJ while Arjun stood there, observing minutely, as her drink was being prepared. 

She returned and sipped her drink. “Shall we dance?”

“You go right ahead.” 

She gulped her drink in a go. “Come on!” Deeya dragged him to the dance floor as her requested song God is a Woman blasted through.

Arjun's phone buzzed as the song came to an end. “It's Roshni.”

“Go, talk to her. I'll be right here.”

“Be careful.” 

“Always am.”

Arjun finished the call and returned, a few minutes later. He searched around the dance floor but she was nowhere to be seen. He turned to the bar counter, his eyes quickly scanning through the people. 

“Ani!” 

Arjun heard the familiar voice and turned around. “Where were you?”

“It's you, right?” Deeya held his hand. “Let's go home, I feel sleepy.” 

“Uh, sure.” Arjun slipped his arm around her shoulder and left the club.

“Are you drunk?” He asked as she struggled to wear the seatbelt.

“No, I just had one drink. Two, in total.” 

Arjun looked at her, something didn't feel right. “You okay?”

“Yeah, just tired and sleepy. Had a lot of fun, though.”

“Good.” 

-

Next morning, Arjun woke up as his phone rang. “Hello?”

“Sir, there has been a murder at the Moonlight Shadow Club.” Shree informed.

“Coming.”

-*-

Ande, tamatar, anything else is fully welcome!smiley2smiley36 

Aao, apne dosto ko bhi le aao smiley31

Thanks for Reading, hope you had fun!smiley27

Note : Special thanks to LizzieBennet (my mumma) for Betareading this chapter and her valuable suggestions. smiley31 To Wasima and Noe, who brainstormed the story with me and heard my ramblings for hours smiley31 

Edited by Satrangi_Curls - 6 days ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Gold.Abrol thumbnail

Very interesting start dear 😍

Just amazing 🤩

So this Deeya seems to be bit interesting & mysterious character & I think 🤔 this is going to be real fun 😊

So now things have started & there is a case but Deeya seems to know much than it meets the eyes she might be a close Alli of Arjun but it's not that simple

Waiting for more

Thanks for the

Keep writing 

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gold.Abrol

Very interesting start dear 😍

Just amazing 🤩

So this Deeya seems to be bit interesting & mysterious character & I think 🤔 this is going to be real fun 😊

So now things have started & there is a case but Deeya seems to know much than it meets the eyes she might be a close Alli of Arjun but it's not that simple

Waiting for more

Thanks for the

Keep writing 

Thanks a lot di!! You've always been the best and kindest person to me! smiley31

Yes, this mystery is going to unravel soonish! Stay tuned! ;) smiley31

It's not simplesmiley36 but it's not very complicated either smiley36

naaheean thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Amazing story. Whatever may be the endgame, I would always love to read something new, quite intriguing & refreshing on Arjun. And, here I'm already in love with the new character Diya, because of the way you've presented her. Do continue soon & tag/pm me for the next if possible.

SarafWasima thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 3 0 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 6 0 Thumbnail + 7

Maine ro dena hai meri Riya smiley19smiley28

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: naaheean

Amazing story. Whatever may be the endgame, I would always love to read something new, quite intriguing & refreshing on Arjun. And, here I'm already in love with the new character Diya, because of the way you've presented her. Do continue soon & tag/pm me for the next if possible.

next parts are totally about the case and a lot of drama smiley9

You loved Dee? How sweet!smiley27 She's a cutie! smiley42smiley31

I'm glad you enjoyed reading! I'll tag you, surely. You're also free to tag/pm your buddies. 

smiley31

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: SarafWasima

Maine ro dena hai meri Riya smiley19smiley28

smiley36 maza aayega re smiley36 trust me smiley2

NoeticLife thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Write The Bite Contest (Special Contribution) 0 Thumbnail + 5

Finally got around to actually reading it! It's good! Love Riya's confusion. Can't wait for Roshni to make an appearance. 

Alsoooo, that pocket scene was so cute. 

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: NoeticLife

Finally got around to actually reading it! It's good! Love Riya's confusion. Can't wait for Roshni to make an appearance. 

Alsoooo, that pocket scene was so cute. 

thankuuusmiley31 

It's gonna be fireee !!smiley42

Hainaa, pockets are the bestsmiley41smiley42

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Chapter 2

Next morning, Arjun woke up as his phone rang. “Hello?”

“Sir, there has been a murder at the Moonlight Shadow Club.” Shree informed.

“Coming.”

Arjun opened the curtain, checking over Deeya soundly asleep. Arjun went around the bed to wake her up. 

“Deeya!” He shook her hand and realised that it felt warmer. He touched her forehead, it was burning. He reached out for the nearest drawer, finding a thermometer. 

101. He sighed and looked at the watch. 5 am. He calls his mother.

“Aai. Deeyu is a bit feverish. Please come here.”

“I'm on my way.”

Arjun fidgeted around a little, not wanting to leave. He sat beside her. “Deeyu, bachha, I have to go, but don't you worry. Aai will be here soon. Please take care of yourself.” 

-

15 minutes later Arjun was at the crime scene. A man in his late 20s was lying on the floor. 

“Victim : Mr. Yash Rajput. Age 28 years. Aaj subah closing ke time par cleaning staff ko inki body mili.” Riya looked up from her tablet. 

“Body ko autopsy le liye lab bhejo.” Arjun ordered, looking around as his team was busy with the basic tasks. 

Riya picks up a bracelet from the floor and places it in the evidence bag. “Arjun sir, ye dekhiye.” She hands over the bracelet. He immediately recognises it. “Keep it safe.” 

“Sir, ye Mr. Adarsh Nagar hai. The manager.” Shree looks at the middle aged man beside him. 

“How soon can I get the CCTV footage?” 

“Right away sir.” 

“I need a list of all your staff on duty last night and a list of guests. Kal kuch hua tha? Anything that needed intervention from the security staff?”

“Nahi sir, kuch bhi nahi.” 

Arjun inspected the crime scene carefully, looking for marks of struggle, there was none. He found a broken martini glass with lipstick marks and bagged it for evidence. 

“Sir, Deeya nahi aayi abhi tak? I tried calling her, but she didn't answer.” Shree said. 

Arjun nodded. “Chotu, iss area mein apne informers ko active karo aur puchho ki yahan drugs koun supply karta hai.”

“Yes sir.”

___

Later, in the conference room, Riya and Shree set up the whiteboard, filling in the details. 

“Waise 8 baj rahe hai aur ye Deeya madam abhi tak nahi aayi?” Riya asked. 

“Tujhe kyu fikar ho rahi hai?”

“Fikar nahi, bas aise hi puchha.” Riya looked around, there was no one. “Pata hai, kal usne mujhe kaha ki Arjun sir ki shadi ho chuki hai. And that I should stay away from him.” 

“Wait, seriously? Arjun sir aur married? Humne toh aisa kabhi kuch nahi suna.” 

“Wahi toh. Mujhe bhi kuch samajh nahi aa raha.” 

“Chal usko aane de phir dekhte hai.”

“Kiske aane ka wait kar rahe ho?” Arjun raised his brows.

“Deeya ka.” Shree said. 

“Kyu, uske bina tumhara kaam ruka hai kya?” He looked at the whiteboard. “Victim ki family se contact hua?”

“We didn't find his phone, sir.” Shree answered. “Wo MLA Dinesh Rajput ka beta hai, humne uske ghar pe call kiya tha but his parents are out of town, they have been informed.” 

“Okay.” Arjun's phone buzzed. Dr. Vishal, Sanjeevani.

“Arjun, Vishal here. Teri aai Deeya ko lekar mere hospital aayi hai. Ye bata kal kya hua tha?”

Arjun walked briskly into his cabin. “Kya hua, Deeya thik toh hai?”

“Nahi na. Uska BP 45-50 ki range mein hai, which is very low and she's unconscious. Maine blood test ke liye sample bheja hai but can you tell me what she ate or drank?”

“She had some Martini, that's all.” His eyes widened in realisation.

“What was the time?”

“Around 11. She was feeling quite sleepy. I thought she was tired but now it seems like-”

“She was drugged. I just hope it's not a severe overdose. If she doesn't wake up in the next few hours, things might be difficult.“

“I'll come there ASAP.”

“Nahi, abhi tujhe aane ki zarurat nahi hai. I'll keep you updated.” 

Arjun returned to the conference room. Chotu walked in after him. 

“Sir, ek do dealers ke baare mein pata laga hai aur wo bartender toh abhi bhi gayab hai.”

“Alright.” Arjun looked at the whiteboard. “Yeh suspects mein Deeya ka naam kyu hai?”

“Sir, uska bracelet crime scene pe mila isiliye.” Riya fidgeted with her pen. “And those lipstick marks also match the shade she was wearing last night.” 

“Is that a lab test result?”

“I have sent it sir,” She replied.

“Did you check the CCTV footage?” Arjun asked Shree.

“Sir, the CCTV footage is roughly nine hours long from five angles. It will take some time.” 

“Try to be quick. Chotu, let's go to the crime scene again. We need to do another thorough search for traces of drugs.” 

__

Arjun put on his gloves and covered his face with a mask. He went into the bar counter, opening every drawer and cabinet, carefully checking for traces of drugs. He opened the drawer full of tissues. The top of the drawer crunched as he pulled out the tissues. He found small empty ziplock packets. He quickly put them in the evidence bag and packed the tissues separately. 

“Chotu, ise lab le jao, dhyan se. Main thodi der mein ETF aa jaunga.” 

“Sir, aap Deeya se milne jaa rahe hai? Kaisi hai wo?”

Arjun raised his brow. “Tumhe kaise pata?”

“Mere informers ne subah aapki mom ko hospital mei dekha. Aap bhi kuch pareshan lag rahe thhe aur Deeya aayi nahi. So, I figured.”

Arjun nodded. “Abhi aur kisi ko mat batana.” 

“Don't worry sir, I'll keep it to myself.” 

__

Arjun reached Sanjeevani hospital and saw Deeya in the special ward. All types of wires and machines beeping, IV and oxygen tubes around her. His heart sank. 

“Arjun.” His mother placed her hand on his shoulder. 

“I'm sorry, aai.” 

“It's not your fault, beta. Doctors are doing their best and we are praying. Tum apne case pe focus karo. Meri beti ki iss halat ke zimmedar jo bhi hai unhe chhodna mat.

“Working on it, aai.”

“Jao, thodi der uske paas baitho, she will feel better.” 

Arjun sat on the chair by her bedside, holding her hand. “Sorry Deeyu, I should’ve been more careful.” He kissed her hand. “Get well soon, bachha.”

Roshni smiled at him as he walked out of the ward. “Tum yahan ki fikar mat karo, I’m here.”

“Thank-” 

Roshni placed a finger on his lips. “Its my family. Go, do your duty.”

“Yes mam.” He nodded.   

__

ETF Conference Room

“Sir, autopsy report is here, time of death is between 11.30 and 12.30. Cause of death: Brain heamorrhage.” Riya put the reports in front of Arjun, which he began reading.

“Sir, the CCTV footage is not very clear and a lot of it seems to be deleted. I'm trying to recover it.”

“Sir, what if someone intentionally deleted the footage to save themselves?”

“Obviously, Ri, aur kya hi reason hoga?” Shree looked at her.

“Nahi, I meant ki, the killer-”

Arjun finished reading the autopsy report and looked at her. “Kya kehna chahti ho, saaf saaf kaho.”

Riya gulped. “Sir, what if the footage was deleted by Deeya…”

“Not possible. Next suspect?”

“Sir wo aaj aayi nahi hai, humne subah se usko kaafi baar call bhi kiya but she didn't answer. Kuch toh reason hoga na aise bhaagne ka?”

Arjun ignored her. “Yash ke sath jo uske dost thhe, unke baare mein kuch pata chala? Aur uske ghar se kuch khabar?”

“Nahi sir, we are trying to find them.”

“Jaldi karo.”

“Sir, wo Deeya-”

Arjun inhaled sharply. “Riya, jo case hai, uspe focus karo. Baki koun kya kar raha hai, kya nahi, don't worry about it.”

“Sir, we need to atleast question her to clear out things that happened last night. I mean circumstancial hi sahi, things do suggest her involvement.”

“Ek baar mein samajh nahi aata, phir se samjhau?” Arjun yelled.

A dead silence shrouded the room for a few minutes until Chotu walked in. “Sir, I found the bartender.”

Arjun barged into the interrogation room, the bartender sitting there with a smug look. 

“I will ask you three questions, answer them properly and your life will be spared.” Arjun placed his gun on the table. “What did you add in Deeya's drink? Who paid you for it? And who is your supplier?”

“Yash Rajput.” He answered.

“He is dead.”

“I know, but that's all the answer you need.” The bartender cracked his neck. 

Arjun punched his face. “Now, maybe you will have more answers.”

“I will answer but only if you don't punch me.”

“Answers first.”

“Yash kept an eye on your girl since the moment she entered. When you left, we knew we had to act quick so I added a good amount of sleeping pills so that even if she has a sip or two, she can be good for an hour or two. She finished almost half of the drink and Yash had his chance. Sumit went after him but she left before we laid our hands on h-” He fell on the floor with another punch. 

Chotu stood in the corner counting the punches. 

“Chotu, hang him upside down.” Arjun left with a bloodied hand.

__

“Shree, CCTV. Now!” Arjun stood in front of Shree's workstation. 

“Yes sir.” He began playing the footage. 

Riya came there. “Sir, your hand is bleeding.” 

Arjun looked at his hand, “It's okay. Start from 11 o'clock.” 

“Yes sir.” Shree played the video of the dance floor. 

“Can you make it any clearer?” Arjun looked at the blurry video.

“No sir, this is all the clarity we have. I know it is not very good but in such a high end club, they should at least have some night vision cameras.” 

“Now come to the angle from bartender side.”

Shree played the other video. “We can't see what he is doing.” 

“Sir, do you think the angles are deliberate?”

“Looks like it.” Arjun’s eyes caught the familiar dress on screen. “Wait, pause pause pause.”

Deeya returned to the bar counter, she ordered a drink and Yash stood beside her chatting. She finished half of a drink and walk towards the other side. A few minutes later she walked out and saw arjun and left with him.

“Can we see things from that angle?” 

“No sir, one camera isn't working for almost a month now and the other one does not go up to the stall.” 

“Show it.”

__

Conference room.

“Things we know so far.” Riya started. “Victim Yash Rajput, son of the MLA Dinesh Rajput is found dead in one of the stalls. His death by internal bleeding due to severe trauma to his head. Deeya was one of the people who last saw him and another was his friend, we haven't talked to either of them yet.”

“The bartender admitted spiking the drinks and they had something malicious planned.” Chotu said.

“Does this mean Deeya might’ve kill him in self defence?”

Arjun look at the team “Yash ke jo dost hai uske baare mien pata karo. CHotu, le aao use.” 

Dinesh Rajput came in the conference room. “Sahab, aap mere iklaute bete ke katil ko jald se jald dhundhiye aur mujhe insaaf dilaiye, please sir.” He folded hands, pleading.

“Sir ham vahi kar rahe hain and we need your support. Uske doston ke number,  naam, pata - jo bhi aap jaante hai please bataiye. Uski kisi se dushmani ya jhagda hua tha? Aapse kisi ki dushmani ho jo aapse badla lena chahte ho.” Arjun responded.

“Aisa to kuchh bhi nahin hai. Main to Janata ka sevak hun sahab, aap to jante hi hain mujhe. Uske doston ke bare mein main jyada nahin jaanta kyunki unhen Ghar mein aana allowed nahin hota hai. Main fir bhi kuchh Naam aur number aapko dilwa deta hun.” 

“Sir, kya aap jante Hain ki aapka beta drugs leta tha?”

“Nahin sar aap kaisi baten kar rahe hain” Mera beta aisa kuchh bhi nahin karta. Mujhe apni parvarish par pura bharosa hai lekin agar uske naal hai doston ne usse kuchh galat kam karvaye ho to mujhe nahin pata.”

“Sir, club ke bartender ne bataya hai ki aapke bete ne kayi baar ladkiyon ki drinks mein drugs milakar unhen behosh Kiya hai aur aage to aap jante hi honge…”

“Nahin sir, mera beta aisa kabhi kuchh nahin kar sakta. Mujhe uspe pura bharosa hai.”

Sir, hamare pass video evidence hai.”

“Mere bete ko koi fasane ki koshish kar raha hai.”

Arjun sighed. “Theek hai hum pata lagate hai sach kya hai. Sir ham aapke bete ke katilon ko jald se jald dhundh nikaalenge, aap sabr rakhiye.  Aapko aapke bete ki body sham tak handover kar di jayegi.”

Arjun waited for the MLA to leave and look at the whiteboard again. 

Chotu brought out his phone, “Sir mujhe lagta hai ki ye MLA kuchh to chhupa raha hai, ya jhooth bol raha hai.” 

“Lagta hai to mujhe bhi aisa hi hai Chotu. Apne informers se kaho iss par nazar rakhe.” 

“Ji sir.”

Arjun's phone buzzed. 

“Arjun, the test reports are here.” Vishal said over the call. “This seems to be a new drug in the market, I haven’t seen any cases of its overdose yet. I did read a few articles on it. We have to go for second opinions. I am consulting some doctors in Delhi and Singapore.” Vishal said in a breathe. “By the way your mum has been pressing to take Deeya home and I haven't been able to convince her otherwise.  Can you please talk to her about it? 

“No, do as mom says.”

“But Arjun-”

“Just do as she says.”

“Fine.” 

Arjun disconnected the call.

Riya waited for a moment. “Sir, please ek bar Deeya se milkar puchhe to sahi ki about her side of the story.” 

“It's not the right time.”

“Not the right time? Sir we need to go ahead with the interrogation. If we are not questioning or taking statements from the suspects how are we going to figure it out?”

“Is she the only suspect you have? Go, talk to Sumit or whatever the list is, given by that MLA.” Arjun paused. “Riya, give me that bracelet.”

“Sir, it's evidence. I can't-”

“Just give it.” 

“Sir, I don't understand why you're trying to tamper with evidence. This is unlike you.”

“That won't stand in court even as circumstantial evidence, and it should be returned to its owner before it gets misplaced.”

“All this for a bracelet? Is Deeya that important that you're willing to risk a case's evidence?”

“Yes. Now if you're done with lecturing me, hand over the bracelet.” 

“No sir.” 

Arjun looked at her, “If it wasn't her mother's parting gift, I wouldn't insist.” 

Riya looked at him wide eyed, and passed over the bag. Arjun pocketed it and turned to leave. 

“Sir,” Riya paused as he glanced over, “Not sure which one of us know the real story but your Ms. Deeya is for sure a master storyteller. One of us has believed her lies and I really hope its not you.”

Arjun shook his head and left. 

__

Arjun was on his way to the hospital when his phone rang. 

“Sir!” Chotu said frantically, “iss nalayak MLA ne Deeya ke naam ki supari di hai.”

“What?” 

“Haa sir, pakki khabar hai. Aur bhi kuch pata chala hai.”

“Main thodi der mein aata hun.” Arjun put his phone away.

__

Around midnight Arjun reached his house. He went into Deeya's room, Roshni was talking to her. Arjun stood beside her, "Jaao, thodi der aaram karo." 

"Thik hai, would you like to eat something?" 

"Nai, I'm good." Arjun looked at the machines, the statistics looked normal but she was still unconscious. He settled by her side. "It was a long day! Pata hai aaj kya hua..." 

About an hour later as Arjun had dozed off, he felt a tug on his hand. He woke up. "Deeyu?" He heard a faint noise. Her fingers tightly curled up against his hand.

"Doctor!" 

Within a few minutes the doctor and Roshni rushed into the room. 

"Hello Deeya. I'm doctor Janki." Janki sat beside her, placing the stethoscope on her chest, noting the heart rate. It was borderline normal. "Can you move the fingers of your left hand?"

Deeya softly moved her right hand. 

"Right one, now."

She moved her left hand. 

"Move your toes now."

Dr. Janki noted the movements, they were slightly uncoordinated. "Open your eyes now and look at my hand." 

Deeya slowly opened her eyes, blinked a little and looked around. 

"Take it slow, Deeya." Janki waited.

"I - I can't see." Deeya breathed heavily. "It's hazy, blurry." Tears welled up her eyes. 

"It's alright dear. Please take rest, we shall do a thorough check up in morning, okay." Janki assured her. 

Arjun sat by her side. "Deeyu, don't worry. Everything is going to be alright. I'm here." 

I can't see. His heart shuddered at the thought.

-*-

Hope you like it!

Drop in your comments and thanks for reading!smiley27

Edited by Satrangi_Curls - 1 months ago