🏏WPL 2024: Match 2: RCB W vs UP Warriorz W🏏 - Page 7

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 months ago

10:56pm Phew, what a game. So many twists and turns that you'd be forgiven if you lost track of it. With four overs left, it was the Warriorz' game to lose. Then, after a three-wicket 17th over, it was RCB's game to lose. Shreyanka then conceded 14 in the 18th to leave the Warriorz with 16 to get off 12. Wareham, though, courtesy a five-run penultimte over, set up the game for Molinuex to finish off.

The Warriorz, on the other hand, will not be pleased with how they approached the last quarter of their chase. They had the game under control, yet, played too many impulsive strokes, crashing and burning in the process. Four of their top five got starts too but none got more than 38, and not having a set batter at the end perhaps cost them.

This climax, though, only came about because Asha was superb throughout her spell. She picked up five wickets, keeping the batters guessing throughout and flummoxing them with her flight and guile. Molineux and Wareham held their nerve towards the end too, while Renuka was tidy with her opening spell.

Sophie Molineux: It was pretty incredible today. The fans were amazing. It was so loud here. To get the win was special. (On bowling the last over) I had a sneaky feeling that was going to be the case, so started thinking about it eight overs earlier. (The ball that got Healy) I have not seen the replay yet, but the ball before that, I dragged it to leg, so had to do something. To get her out early was big for us. (On how she maintains clarity of thought) It was a rollercoaster. We went in front, then they went in front. The crowd was incredible and they kept us in it. They gave us an extra 20 runs. we have amazing senior players who can make tough and smart calls. She bowled incredibly well, but even better were her celebrations, I have not seen anything like it before (smiles).

Alyssa Healy, UP Warriorz captain: (On if the 17th over changed the game) Yeah, a little bit. We got ourselves back and then let ourselves down in the end. Full credit to Molineux for the way she bowled the last over and to Wareham for bowling the second-last over. The differing levels of experience within each side is what we are learning (as leaders) each time. Getting down to the wire, and getting past the line is something we can probably learn. Lots of positives to take out of today. We had our backs against the wall. We played a pretty good game of cricket. That is T20 cricket, sometimes you come away with a win, sometimes you don't. (On the ground fielding) Coming in late into the camp, I have seen the hard work they have been doing after coming in nice and early. We created a lot of chances and kept ourselves in the game. Hopefully we can maintain that. (On Vrinda Dinesh) She was outstanding tonight. For some of these girls, it is a big opportunity (to be here playing at the Chinnaswamy) and they will learn from this experience.

Smriti Mandhana, Royal Challengers Bangalore captain: Pretty nice game. Even the last match was really close. Same equation came up for us. I was at covers and I was just trying to pray. The bowlers did an amazing job. I had a lot of faith in Sophie and the way she bowled the last over was brilliant. The way Asha bowled for those five wickets was a game-changer for us. Whenever I used to see her on the field, she used to ask me to give her the ball. She is a really experienced player and happy that she is getting her due for her talent. (On the score) In the second time-out, we felt we could go past 165. We thought the wicket was slower, so 165-plus would have been good. The way Richa and Meghana batted was brilliant to watch.

Sobhana Asha, Player of the Match: A lot of struggle, a lot of hard work and finally, the victory is sweet. Not thinking about my five wickets, very happy that we won our first game in front of our fans. I knew that the situation would be something like this and I visualised, did my homework as well. (On her control) That is one of my strengths. Grace was going against the turn and I knew if I pull the length back and slow it up, she might get a top edge or get bowled. I was ready to get smashed but I was sure I would get her (out).

Congrats to RCB women. RCB Women won by 2 runs

Viswasruti thumbnail

Congratulations to RCBW for their last ball victory. smiley41smiley32smiley10 

Two matches and two last-ball finishes. What more can you ask for from the WPL. Maybe get greedy and ask for a Super Over? We will find out today if that happens?? 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Thank you, Soni, Rosyme, and Average-student for the updates on the score and the happenings on the field. smiley31