KJo killed off Anushka in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil for not loving Ranbir

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 months ago

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebrities/story/karan-johar-says-anushka-died-in-ae-dil-hai-mushkil-for-not-loving-ranbir-back-gets-blasted-1439246-2019-01-25

"Yes, the last track met with many polarised responses and rightfully so, but I was like she didn't love him, she has to die. I wrote this character. He loved her so crazily. She could've loved him back, why couldn't she? So she got cancer and she died."

"Well, she got punished, I wrote it. See, a filmmaker is a God, you write, you create and you destroy," the filmmaker added. Incidentally, he drew from his own unreciprocated love stories while writing Ae Dil Hai Mushkil.

According to Karan, there was nothing problematic, as "he was not inappropriate with her". When it was pointed out to him that Ranbir's character not only gets physically aggressive with Anushka's character but also guilt-trips her into returning his feelings, he continued to defend his film

"I didn't look at it like that, to me he was just a puppy who was just in love and it's not like she didn't love him. She just didn't love him in the way that he wanted her to love him. About the physical aggression, I apologise. That is not something I had thought of earlier and I should have," the filmmaker said.

"But I am not going to be apologetic about his relentlessness and his love, because he loved her even after she was gone. He never stopped loving her... I believe Ayan was a lover," he added.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

I liked Ranbir as a singer in the movie and also Anushka's, Aish's and Fawad's performances but I disliked the story.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

What happened to free will? You can not force someone to love you. That is just entitlement. Reminds me of the disturbing creeps I have dealt with. This interview is from 2019. Hopefully, Karan has evolved since then.

ChanChanMan thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

No offence but this is borderline psychotic. Karan Johar might just be able to make a perfect psychological thriller. 

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

KJo secretly subscribes to the Vanga school of thought now?

Edited by Daebak - 3 months ago
Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ChanChanMan

No offence but this is borderline psychotic. Karan Johar might just be able to make a perfect psychological thriller. 

Thrillers? I love thrillers. I think Karan should go for it and use his talents. He has not explored that genre. Just keep the entitled creeps as negative. Don't portray them as heroes when they are not. It would give me so much peace and educate creeps about why their sense of entitlement is wrong. 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

The fact that he thinks KKHH is problematic but this is fine is what's most troubling. 

In fact, ADHM is labeled his most problematic film.

https://twitter.com/SoKneeOh/status/1088356337757507584?t=sxrI058-HXSZZlu8knHr0A&s=19

Maroonporsche thumbnail

The statements just didnt cause an outcry 🤷‍♀️ 

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

The fact that he thinks KKHH is problematic but this is fine is what's most troubling. 

In fact, ADHM is labeled his most problematic film.

https://twitter.com/SoKneeOh/status/1088356337757507584?t=sxrI058-HXSZZlu8knHr0A&s=19

IMHO! The film is fine. It is not so much that he killed her off. The reason why he killed her is the problem. Which he never revealed in the film. He said it was based on his personal life. The fact that it seems like he got sadistic pleasure from it is worrisome. 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

IMHO! The film is fine. It is not so much that he killed her off. The reason why he killed her is the problem. Which he never revealed in the film. He said it was based on his personal life. The fact that it seems like he got sadistic pleasure from it is worrisome. 

When she died in the movie I thought it was stupid because it came out of nowhere and seemed like he just didn't know how to end the film without putting them together. 

It was shocking to hear the real reason she was killed off is because she needed to be punished for not loving him back.

He said this film was inspired by his own heartbreak and someone he loved who never reciprocated. The person in question should be terrified after reading this interview. KJo has also said that he thinks unreciprocated love is the most perfect love because it's entirely your own. I guess that makes even more sense when you consider his view that the other should die.