RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 months ago

Everytime I watch Darr (rewatched it last night for its 30th anniversary celebration), I always find myself rooting for SRK to win Juhi's heart. I'm curious if anyone else feels that way as well. Were people (whether today or back in 1993) rooting for SRK to be the victor of the film? He was the villain but my sympathies lay with him rather than Sunny Deol who, even as the hero, seemed regressive and uncharismatic.

Sunny ogling other women on his honeymoon and encouraging SRK to kill the husband of his lover because he didn't realize SRK was talking about Juhi, did not endear me to Sunny at all.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

The only time I rooted for a character played by him was in Kabhi Ha Kabhi na. In just about every other movie his stalkerish vibes failed to elicit any empathy from me. And Darr toh bilkul bhi nahi. I kept waiting for him to get caught only for the director to showcase his ridiculous love affair with the character.

Edited by loginidran - 4 months ago
prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Thought provoking. I for sure didn’t root for him to get the girl. But I surely wanted someone to catch him alive and get him treated. smiley28 I wanted to see more backstory of his and his mother. And I also wanted to see his equation with Juhi/Kiran post his recovery. 

I was very small when it released, but when I watched it after I grew up, that was when I realized all above and just wished it had a sequel and with SRK alive. 

Edited by prerna4rishav - 4 months ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: prerna4rishav

Thought provoking. I for sure didn’t root for him to get the girl. But I surely wanted someone to catch him alive and get him treated. smiley28 I wanted to see more backstory of his and his mother. And I also wanted to see his equation with Juhi/Kiran post his recovery. 

I was very small when it released, but when I watched it after I grew up, that was when I realized all above and just wished it had a sequel and with SRK alive. 

He's clearly mentally ill and his mother's passing had an effect on him, so I agree he needed treatment. The Bollywood version of Psycho basically. 

I would love to see a Darr 2. A version where he survived and comes back again to meet Kiran. Or even a sequel that is a spiritual sequel maybe with genders reversed since we know when Sridevi was offered this film, she wanted to play the SRK role. Juhi has shown she can play morally gray or wicked characters like in Hush Hush and Gulaab Gang so I'd love to see her play the psychotic lover this time around terrorizing SRK.

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

No I did not .....I am just happy for SRK the actor that he got so much recognition for that movie.....never rooted for Rahul......I think Darr had the perfect ending.......where a stalker who made a girl's life hell....murdered people.....was killed in the end......any other ending would have been bad......

naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

If Rahul would have made Kiran fall in love with him then movie may have turned out like "sleeping with enemy"

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: naaznin

If Rahul would have made Kiran fall in love with him then movie may have turned out like "sleeping with enemy"

Juhi did the remake of that, Daraar, with Rishi Kapoor and Arbaaz Khan.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

No I did not .....I am just happy for SRK the actor that he got so much recognition for that movie.....never rooted for Rahul......I think Darr had the perfect ending.......where a stalker who made a girl's life hell....murdered people.....was killed in the end......any other ending would have been bad......

I would rather be stalked by SRK than romanced by Sunny.

Billi_Bangalan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I would rather be stalked by SRK than romanced by Sunny.

Okay. We need a side-eye reaction button. 

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

I don't think anybody then rooted for Rahul-Kiran because Rahul was a psycho but I remember people appreciated the story, the climax and SRK's negative role. I am glad there was no social media then and people treated a movie as well, just a movie and didn't take it that seriously to expect a gal to marry a psychopath and ruin her own life completely. If Kiran had married him it would have become another Daraar or Agnisakshi type movie with the psycho husband physically and mentally torturing his wife and his wife finally escaping from her hell life.