Snide remarks by Harbhajan on Anushka and Athiya?

Billi_Bangalan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 5 months ago

A video from the World Cup 2023 match between India and Australia is going crazy viral on social media and for absolutely the wrong reasons. The video shows Hindi commentators dissecting the minutes of the match when the camera pans towards Anushka Sharma and Athiya Shetty. Harbhajan Singh, who was in the Hindi commentary box, made a rather 'misogynistic' remark where he questioned the actresses' understanding of cricket.

Harbhajan, during the commentary, said, "Aur yeh main soch raha tha ki baat cricket ki ho rahi hai ya filmon ki. Kyunki cricket ke barein mein toh janta nahi kitni samajh hogi (And I was thinking whether the conversation is happening about cricket or films. Because I am not sure how much understanding they have about cricket)."

Anushka and Athiya were present at the Narendra Modi Stadium to support their spouses Virat Kohli and KL Rahul, respectively, who are playing in the tournament.

As soon as the video surfaced on social media, the Hindi commentators faced massive backlash for their 'sexist' comments. X users shared the video and slammed them for their 'understanding of cricket' remark.

India Today

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Did they apologize ?

TheJourney thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Cute. Geeta would be so proud of him. smiley27

MyselfJ thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Har baat ko nai pakadte yaar.

Haegeum thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 4

Isn't he married to Geeta Basra? Very ironic of him to mock other cricketers' bollywood wives.

Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Rude and offensive. Wasn’t Anushka doing a movie on cricket? Or did he meant star kids? I don’t know why some people always target or pick on Anushka for no reason. She already got so black lash few years ago. Absolutely sick.

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Sorry I dont understand. Do we need to understand the subject to show support and be there with our spouses/families now ? smiley3 Or even to attend the match ? Wasn’t loving the country and wanting India to win was good enough a reason anymore ? smiley3

DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Trying to play devil's advocate here as I know his own wife was an actress too.. he is probably just referring to the difference in their professions. Don't think it was misogynistic.. maybe ignorant, but not misogynistic.

Edited by DheeJattanDi - 5 months ago
naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

They were here to support their spouse.

Also they r watching as an audience so u don't have to know every detail of game just basic is enough.

Aise to audience ko bhi nai pta sab to kya match na dekhe.

Foolish harbhajan.

Edited by naaznin - 5 months ago
CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I would rather question his role in the commentary box - he hardly does any proper commentary and that's one of his day jobs now (not even going to get into his 50% attendance as a rajya sabha member). Do line toh dhang se bol nahi pata hai match ke baare mein - all he has is cringe quips and one liners which no one finds funny