Aishwarya Rai's feminist icon status in movies

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 months ago

Preity Zinta and Rani  Mukerji were noted in the 2000s for their trail-blazing feminist roles in films like Kya Kehna, Salaam Namaste, Black, Bunty Aur Babli, Veer-Zaara, Chori Chori Chupke Chupke, Sangharsh, and Saathiya, amongst other films. But how come no one brings up Aishwarya's role in Kuch Naa Kaho?

Has everyone forgotten her iconic dialogue delivery in the film's climax where she reprimands her husband Arbaaz Khan for leaving her for seven years and coming back and expecting her to welcome him with open arms? Her lines about how if she did what he did to her, left him for another man, he would never forgive her were so truthful especially when he debases her in public but when it's her turn to call him out, he tells her this is a private affair.

And let's not forget her performance in Provoked as a battered wife.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

What was trailblazing in Bunty Aur Babli ? They became criminals ? Is that a form of empowerment ? 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

What was trailblazing in Bunty Aur Babli ? They became criminals ? Is that a form of empowerment ? 

That movie was very inspiring to the youth of India who saw Bunty and Babli as role models.

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

That movie was very inspiring to the youth of India who saw Bunty and Babli as role models.

Bull. Nobody saw Bunty and Babli as role models. What role model worthy was there to be inspiring? 🤷‍♀️

MrChatVsNorway thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Please dont club Rani with Preity and Ash

She's far ahead as a female 'actor'smiley4

NoraSM thumbnail

🤔

Zara was a feminist icon? I didn't know that 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: MrChatVsNorway

Please dont club Rani with Preity and Ash

She's far ahead as a female 'actor'smiley4

Rani has a good chance to win filmfare best actress popular this year. She’s won it twice before but this time at age 45/46 depending on when they have them she’d be oldest person to win 

Current record holder is her Nutan. She won an award at age 42

Muskie thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Preity Zinta and Rani  Mukerji were noted in the 2000s for their trail-blazing feminist roles in films like Kya Kehna, Salaam Namaste, Black, Bunty Aur Babli, Veer-Zaara, Chori Chori Chupke Chupke, Sangharsh, and Saathiya, amongst other films. But how come no one brings up Aishwarya's role in Kuch Naa Kaho?

Has everyone forgotten her iconic dialogue delivery in the film's climax where she reprimands her husband Arbaaz Khan for leaving her for seven years and coming back and expecting her to welcome him with open arms? Her lines about how if she did what he did to her, left him for another man, he would never forgive her were so truthful especially when he debases her in public but when it's her turn to call him out, he tells her this is a private affair. 

And let's not forget her performance in Provoked as a battered wife.

I remember all the lines from that scene, one of my favoritessmiley27

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

There are a lot of movies where women get their own voice and choice... I won't label it as "feminist" though (I'm against labels).

Of course, Zara didn't bow to what was expected from her and she became the head teacher of a school without marrying.

Aish, too, clearly took her own position (in more than one movie).

Hindi Cinema is as diverse as other filmindustries...and interestingly...in film-language, it's Mother India...

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I stopped at the first sentence, lmao. 

The 90s and early 2000s were the most regressive times for Bollywood. There was little to no concept of feminism in general. Maybe a film here and there touched on it, but the idea was mostly ignored.