Let's discuss A Death in the Gunj 2016 film

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 months ago

In the film, Shutu embodies an alternative and non-conforming form of masculinity. He is sensitive, thoughtful, and introverted, which contrasts sharply with the traditional expectations of masculinity. The film explores the isolation and frustration he experiences due to his inability to fit into the stereotypical male role. His family members, especially the male cousins, often belittle him and impose traditional ideas of masculinity, which contribute to his feelings of emasculation.

I love how the film gathers steam as it progresses and explores so many themes in a nuanced manner.

Konkona Sen Sharma as a director is so, so good and Vikrant Massey is excellent. He should have won a National award for this film, not Akshay Kumar for Rustom.

Thoughts on this beautiful film?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Gut  wrenching movie . One of the best portrayals of toxic masculinity. 

mintyblue thumbnail

True. I love how the film portrays the typical traits associated with toxic masculinity – aggression, competitiveness, and objectification of women. The others tease, mock, and bully Shutu, using his sensitivity and vulnerability as a source of ridicule.

mintyblue thumbnail

BUMP

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I wanted to read know and learn more about Konkona Sen Sharma after this movie. Apparently a simple and much common woke topic which is fed to us occasionally as a by-product or in a very small portion of a movie, but to make an entire film ONLY on this ! To take that risk ! BOW down to Konkona ! She is as brilliant as her mom. 

Loved Vikrant Massey in the movie. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I saw it on a plane. It was too dark for me

I’m more interested to discuss Konkona as a director. Has she directed more ? Do you think more of our actor/actress should try it ?  

Edited by Maroonporsche - 6 months ago
mintyblue thumbnail

Yeah she has directed one of the stories in Lust Stories 2

I think she's brilliant

Direction and acting require different set of skills. To act, you need to be vulnerable in front of the camera. When you direct on the other hand, you need to have an all-pervasive vision and execute with clarity and precision.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Direction and acting require different set of skills. To act, you need to be vulnerable in front of the camera. When you direct on the other hand, you need to have an all-pervasive vision and execute with clarity and precision.

you know Ajay directs movies like every year now 😂 

mintyblue thumbnail

Exactly!!!! very well said!!!!

FilmiDhun thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

You know I was in a Vikrant mood today since his latest film released so I watched a Death in the Gunj again and this is the kind of film I wanna see more of. I love movies with a good ensemble cast and this film has an excellent one. Konkona is so soo talented- she made this masterpiece in her directorial debut. Unbelievable.

Vikrant was superlative as Shutu. Dont have enough words to praise his performance here. Not one false note. Shutu was such a decent and sensitive soul ❤️