One Sided love vs two sided love

Jashangrewal28 thumbnail
Posted: 6 months ago

Which One contain More Beauty in itself As well as pain ? smiley25smiley1 From my opinion, One Sided Love is more painful than Two sided & Two sided is more beautiful than one sided smiley9

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

One of the incidents in the Layla-Majnun legend addresses this question.

Someone who admired their devotion to each other wrote both names on a piece of paper as a tribute when he saw Majnun wandering madly in the desert. Majnun picked up the paper, read it, and tore it in two. He crumpled up one piece and threw it away, keeping the other piece carefully.

The astonished onlookers asked him, "You were united on this paper; now, why would you choose separation from Layla?"

The madman replied, "Why have two names? One name unites us better."

"So, you kept Layla's name only?" they guessed.

"No, it was useless, so I got rid of it."

"That makes no sense! What use is your own name to you? You could have kept Layla with you, but you threw her away!"

"A name can be seen, but it is only a veil for someone who can't be seen. A true lover only has to be scratched, and the beloved emerges. Majnun is the veil; the face is Layla's."

This incident tells us that Majnun considered one-sided love purer than two-sided love.

Layla-Majnun is an example of two-sided love that is more painful than one-sided love. Two people love each other and cannot be together, so both are suffering. Layla's husband Ibn Salam is also suffering because she won't let him near her. Watching the three of them going through life unfulfilled, their families are suffering.

Majnun feels agony when he hears the lie that Layla is enjoying her married life; then he cries with relief when he learns the truth that Layla is miserable for him. At this early point in the story, Majnun cares about two-sided love; the promise of Layla saving herself for him matters, and he isn't selfless enough to want her to be happy without him.

The point at which Majnun throws away Layla's name comes later. His insanity has progressed so far that he no longer cares whether Layla exists outside his imagination. The real Layla could die (in India, we would say that she has become nāma-śeṣa - remaining only in a name) or fall in love with someone else (thereby losing her good name for fidelity), and still Majnun would compose one-sided love poetry to his Layla.

If one isn't insane like Majnun, the experience of feeling for another person exactly what that person feels for oneself can be sublime. One-sided love hurts, which can be intensely beautiful, but two-sided love is vulnerable, which is a more fragile beauty.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 6 months ago

The tragedy of one-sided love and the joy of two-sided love ... Can the audience/readership for romance ever be satisfied with only one of the two?

A thousand years ago, this question was implied in the invocation of Bhoja's treatise on romance in literature, Śṛṅgāraprakāśa. The invocation is a Vasantatilakā verse in praise of Ardhanārīśvara, who is Goddess and God united in the same body.

अच्छिन्नमेखलमलब्धदृढोपगूढम्

अप्राप्तचुम्बनमवीक्षितवक्त्रकान्ति

कान्ताविमिश्रवपुषः कृतविप्रलम्भ-

संभोगसख्यमिव पातु वपुः पुरारेः ।।

acchinna-mekhalam alabdha-dṛḍh'opagūḍham

aprāpta-cumbanam avīkṣita-vaktra-kānti

kāntā-vimiśra-vapuṣaḥ kṛta-vipralambha-

saṃbhoga-sakhyam iva pātu vapuḥ Pur'āreḥ

Can't unhook Her girdle. Can't manage a tight embrace.

Can't reach for a kiss. Can't glimpse Her lovely face.

Commingled bodily with His beloved, the Cities' Enemy

Reconciles longing and fulfilment. May that body protect you!

This link to the definition of Vasantatilakā works for whoever has joined the Saṃskṛta Text Discussion forum through the link in my signature.

Jashangrewal28 thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

One of the incidents in the Layla-Majnun legend addresses this question.

Someone who admired their devotion to each other wrote both names on a piece of paper as a tribute when he saw Majnun wandering madly in the desert. Majnun picked up the paper, read it, and tore it in two. He crumpled up one piece and threw it away, keeping the other piece carefully.

The astonished onlookers asked him, "You were united on this paper; now, why would you choose separation from Layla?"

The madman replied, "Why have two names? One name unites us better."

"So, you kept Layla's name only?" they guessed.

"No, it was useless, so I got rid of it."

"That makes no sense! What use is your own name to you? You could have kept Layla with you, but you threw her away!"

"A name can be seen, but it is only a veil for someone who can't be seen. A true lover only has to be scratched, and the beloved emerges. Majnun is the veil; the face is Layla's."

This incident tells us that Majnun considered one-sided love purer than two-sided love.

Layla-Majnun is an example of two-sided love that is more painful than one-sided love. Two people love each other and cannot be together, so both are suffering. Layla's husband Ibn Salam is also suffering because she won't let him near her. Watching the three of them going through life unfulfilled, their families are suffering.

Majnun feels agony when he hears the lie that Layla is enjoying her married life; then he cries with relief when he learns the truth that Layla is miserable for him. At this early point in the story, Majnun cares about two-sided love; the promise of Layla saving herself for him matters, and he isn't selfless enough to want her to be happy without him.

The point at which Majnun throws away Layla's name comes later. His insanity has progressed so far that he no longer cares whether Layla exists outside his imagination. The real Layla could die (in India, we would say that she has become nāma-śeṣa - remaining only in a name) or fall in love with someone else (thereby losing her good name for fidelity), and still Majnun would compose one-sided love poetry to his Layla.

If one isn't insane like Majnun, the experience of feeling for another person exactly what that person feels for oneself can be sublime. One-sided love hurts, which can be intensely beautiful, but two-sided love is vulnerable, which is a more fragile beauty.

Your Answer is really too good as I am not expecting one Because Its Connect with history as well Explaining the Topic vry beautifully secondly Your All eg. For one sided Love are Truly right as i am One the victim of it i know these things already smiley38 But yes the pain Of Two sided love Now i can Feel after your theory in which the souls of two lovers crave for Each other extremely now i think Both one sided or two sided Have Equal Pain As In One Sided only one person Suffer from it But in two sided It Dived in two persons Equally But i also think that the pain of two sided love contain The beauty in itself For eg. When Majnu Hears that Layla is happy without him He Become sad But after Come to the Truth he Felt the releif smiley1 Therefore i think two Sided love sometimes more beautiful than One sided Offcourse in one sided We Can imagine Things about her or him But Somewhere We know that Reality is Different smiley24

Jashangrewal28 thumbnail

I am not able to understand the Sanskrit text because link of which forum you give is private but this English poetry seems It giving the some Glimpses of the depth of one sided love smiley43

"Private forum" simply means that it was created by a member, not by anyone in charge of India Forums. It's like a "private bill" in legislature being introduced by a representative, not by the government. "Private" does not mean secret, or that anyone is unwelcome.

Anyone who clicks this link can auto-join my private forum. After joining, the link to the definition of Vasantatilakā will work for you.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/1433

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 6 months ago
Jashangrewal28 thumbnail

Actually, Previously i Request to join some forum but as they dont Respond I was thinking this will be Also like those But no, It was Really instant smiley20 now i can Translate this text !! smiley12

Some private forums are Auto-Join, like mine. Others are Request Join, and those that don't welcome requests are Invite Only.

Which other private forum did you request to join? If I know the Creator/Manager of that forum, I may be able to reach out and get you a reply.

Jashangrewal28 thumbnail

Just leave it as those Forums Are seems Ott for me Your one Seems Good To gain some knowledge smiley17 

Jashangrewal28 thumbnail

in one sided Love even in the Simple love There is Some Theories, according to which Basically The Victim start To Becoming Like Their Love Or in simple language We Can see Someone Else in a Person Who is Not That Person there is A Famous legend of heer ranjha Which is Beautifully Represented in a book name (Heer) in Gurmukhi (punjabi) written by waris Shah in which keep the accordance With the story heer say ( i am explaining in English ) :- while Doing ranjha Ranjha she Also Becoming Like himself And now i Became The ranjha don't Call me heer 

These Are Lines of Punjabi Poetry Which i explain you in english This legend and Poetry is famous as well my Favourite one And I Also consider This Fact true !  

What are You think i just Want to Know Your Viewssmiley12

And sorry for Grammatical Mistakes As well smiley4