mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 6 months ago

My favourite actress from the 90's after Tabu. I think she peaked with Pinjar which released in 2003. What a performance!

From her memorable debut as a child artist in "Kalyug" to her iconic role in "Rangeela," she has consistently pushed the boundaries of her craft. Her ability to effortlessly slip into diverse roles, be it a girl-next-door or a complex character, showcases her versatility and dedication to her art.

Other standout performances include Kaun, Ek Haseena Thi, Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya, and Bhoot.

Am I missing out on something?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 months ago

I agree with you. She's one of my all-time favorite actresses for her beauty, dancing skills, versatility, and range. 

Pinjar is also what I consider her best performance. She was so in-demand that she was the only 90s actress still working steadily throughout the 2000s (besides Shilpa to a lesser extent). Even by the late 2000s, Yash Raj was trying to sign her but she refused.

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

She’s horrifically under-rated!!!! Not only is she an excellent actress, also very versatile, but a great dancer with the best figure probably, that BW has seen!!! What can she NOT DO! 

I really really wish she would return to acting. She was great in the 90s. smiley27

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

My favourite actress from the 90's after Tabu. I think she peaked with Pinjar which released in 2003. What a performance!

From her memorable debut as a child artist in "Kalyug" to her iconic role in "Rangeela," she has consistently pushed the boundaries of her craft. Her ability to effortlessly slip into diverse roles, be it a girl-next-door or a complex character, showcases her versatility and dedication to her art.

Other standout performances include Kaun, Ek Haseena Thi, Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya, and Bhoot.

Am I missing out on something?

I did like her in Judaai in her massy film catalogue. It's the biggest example in recent Hindi cinema of two actresses complementing each other in acting-skills. Not talking about dance but acting. Nowadays it's all about one strong performance and one weaker one between two actresses.  

Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

The film I became a huge fan of her was Tehzeeb, the performance everyone did is amazing but Urmila was my favorite in the movie, I cried at the end of the movie. It was about mother-daughter storyline. But yes she did great performance in ek hasina thi and bhoot. I was looking forward for her to make a comeback in web series but they cancelled it sadly. 

bashful_moon thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

If I can term Bollywood "heroines" as complete package, it is her who stand out in every aspect.

I love Tabu and Vidya as complete actresses, but in my opinion, they lacked grace of a dancer that Urmila had in abundance (I might be wrong because we might have not seen them into such roles  much). And she had this rare quality of looking hot and cute at the same time. She showed what sensuality looks like (there is a thin line in between sensuality and vulgarity). Rangeela is one such testimony..

And the movies you have mentioned -- on man!! What awesome performances they are. I even laud Urmila for her ability of being a minimalist. Even in scenes that required high octane drama, she used to be so subtle. Remember her confrontation scene with Jai in Pyar Tune Kya Kiya ? It could be high pitched, it could be over the top, but hats off to her for  delivering it the way only she could...

And that innocence in her entire performance in Kaun!! Who would even have an iota of inkling of what might have transpired in the whole sequence. 

She is the most under-rated actress of her time. I really wish for her to take up the projects like the one Tabu performs in.

Edited by bashful_moon - 3 months ago