Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 months ago

It would have definitely taken a better opening. Alia simply has more credibility as an actress, while with Deepika the whole thing felt like a gimmick. I am not sure if it would have had any better legs though.

The trick with Alia is that she works with directors who have just had their breakout moment, so she rides the momentum with their next hit, while Deepika went with two directors whom Alia had already wrung. 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Clochette

I was mighty impressed with the movie as a whole...I loved Deepika's portray of  Malti (=Laxmi) and Vikram's Amol. What a courageous movie Meghna made and what a courageous decision by Deepika to produce it and play the lead role. It made me realize even more how important NGO's like ShahRukh's Meer Foundation are.

No to Alia...she isn't yet mature enough to enact such a role - imo.

Disappointed Laugh GIF - Disappointed Laugh Glasses - Discover & Share GIFs

NotAMuggle thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

No in my opinion. 

1. The subject matter was too sensitive. I don't think many people wanted to watch a movie about acid attack victims. 

2. The documentary style narration. Yes, it was a grave matter and could not be shown lightly but the storytelling was totally missing in my opinion. And they didn't even follow a linear timeline. Too much flashbacks and then jumping to present day ruined the flow. I think it would have looked more well put together had they started with the scene where Malti got attacked or just when Malti was brought to the hospital post attack. 

3. Obviously! The clash! Releasing on the same day with Tanhaji it didn't stand a chance. Majority of the audience, if get a choice between a depressing victim's story and a Patriotic movie where a Marathi War Hero is fighting the Mughals, would choose the later one. 

I don't think Alia would have mattered much, even if we assume she is indeed this brilliant actress she is touted to be. Cause the problem wasn't Deepika's performance. She was more than decent with the role. The scream when she first saw her burnt face in mirror haunted me for days.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Also I think Alia would've known this is just a streaming movie. Not meant for cinema 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Strangely, I think that Alia wouldn't emanate the poise this role demands (and Deepika did).

If people call Ranbir a 'manchild', Alia is - to me - still a 'womanchild' (or 'childwoman'?)

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

I didnt watch Chapak, but I have watched Shweta Tripathi play a victim of acid attack in Kaalkoot (a great watch on Jio Cinema that handels the issue with sensitivity and imo a real, harsh lens, though I feel the thriller part of it is kinda messy) but Ig the movie didnt work because of it execution and even the controversies added to it, say DP calling it a makeup look, Laxmi saying not getting enough credit. They should have gone for OTT release or picked another date.

Alia did a Udta Punjab, so chances are, she would have done the role just as well as DP (if her performance was good) and Shweta (hers was good) just that in her case, Malti's character would have looked (and behaved) much younger and naiver(its a Alia trope with movies like Raazi, UP, Darlings)

I totally disagree with the excuse of the subject matter. 

Rekha's khoon bhari maang was a very disturbing one as well, but was a hit at the boxoffice due to the solid direction and screenplay. 

Meghna falters big time as a director with chhapaak, the whole film felt hollow and empty there was definitely something missing in the direction and screenplay.. if the treatment and execution is really well the film will definitely work despite whatever the subject matter is and if it connects well with the audience because of skilled direction and captivating screenplay which chhapaak lacks. 

I also strongly disagree with the logic that Alia not looking mature enough to carry this role. 

Alia had an equally matured and  disturbing role in Gangubai kathiawadi, and not only she nailed it and got awards for that role, but the film was also a success at the boxoffice. 

So here you go. 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

You really think that Alia would play a disfigured woman???!!!

And I also have the feeling that your comment reflects what was written at the time of release when the Boycott-gang had targeted Deepika and the movie because of her joining the protest just before the release of the movie.

But okay, if that is your opinion, it's your opinion...how did you write: "So here you go."

I just stated the facts backing with boxoffice numbers and examples of other actresses done the same grim roles and other directors directed in a better way to get the results at the boxoffice which anyone can see. 

You are unnecessarily involving the political scenario of that time which has nothing to do with an inconvincing performance and a lack luster hollow screenplay of chhapaak. 

rest you are free to think whatever you want. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Chhapaak also came in a clash against Tanahaji. A huge hit. Other actresses probably wouldve failed against that also