mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 months ago

"Parasite," directed by Bong Joon-ho, is a masterfully crafted cinematic gem that captivated audiences worldwide with its unique blend of genres, thought-provoking social commentary, and brilliant storytelling. Released in 2019, the film garnered numerous awards, including the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, and it continues to be celebrated as a groundbreaking work in the realm of international cinema.

At its core, "Parasite" explores the stark contrasts between socioeconomic classes, delving into the lives of two families from vastly different backgrounds. The Kim family, living in a cramped basement apartment, struggles to make ends meet through odd jobs and schemes. Their lives take an unexpected turn when they manage to infiltrate the affluent Park family's household by posing as skilled workers. This initial deception sets the stage for a series of escalating events that reveal the complex web of relationships and power dynamics at play.

The film excels in its ability to seamlessly blend humor and tension, often leaving the audience unsure whether to laugh or gasp. Bong Joon-ho's direction, combined with a stellar ensemble cast, delivers performances that range from comically absurd to chillingly intense. The cinematography by Hong Kyung-pyo beautifully captures the contrasting worlds of the two families, using visual cues to emphasize the social disparities.

One of the film's strengths lies in its commentary on the dehumanizing effects of economic inequality. It skillfully portrays the lengths to which individuals are willing to go to escape their circumstances, highlighting the moral gray areas that arise as a result. "Parasite" also delves into themes of aspiration, identity, and the cyclical nature of social hierarchy, making it a thought-provoking piece that lingers in the minds of viewers long after the credits roll.

Have you guys seen it?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

priya185 thumbnail

I got bored watching it didn't get into the movie saw 1 hour

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

Seen it. Bong got all the acclaim he deserved with Memories of Murder with this movie.

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

The thing that has always stuck me about Parasite is that how easily you can set this story in any major Asian City and it would translate as is. Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, Manila, Mumbai, Bangkok, Hong Kong. I don't think that's necessarily true for a lot of other classic Asian films. 

On a side note, there's a wonderful little video nerdwriter did on Parasite that you might like. 

https://youtu.be/ma1rD2OP85c

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

U------- F------ are Parasites. 

C----- M- M---. 

ChanChanMan thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I watched Parasite earlier this year. It was an abomination. I don't care for the social commentary, if any! I didn't care for any of the characters. 

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Oh Minty. I was just watching Venom again and wanted to make a topic on this. 

Parasite is something dangerous and selfish.

It uses the host and the same time harming the host. 

A Parasite is an human equivalence to a Narcicisst.

It leeches into one host and anyone they are in contact with.  When they are removed from the host, they leech on the next and the next and the cycle rinses and repeats.

I know you are talking of a different movie. But a Parasite is a Parasite and has a negative affect  on society. 

A Parasite of whatever kind  poses with deception, creates a web of issues between people and situations, making it complex and it's a power play. Aim to establish the goal using deceptive powerplay on the hosts. Parasites are driven by Aspiration and will try and take control of everything to reach their goal. A Parasite is a leech. 

Why would anyone knowingly host a Parasite? 

Coming to your movie. I want to watch this and been waiting on my list. 

See how the family will try and spread their wings and take an arm for a finger advantage. 

There are Parasites in society. Some worse than others. 

Some are seen, some are hidden, very hidden.

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

https://youtu.be/1HRTy26s4hw

Incidentally, the same director also made a movie called The Host ðŸ˜Ž

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: carisma2

Oh Minty. I was just watching Venom again and wanted to make a topic on this. 

Parasite is something dangerous and selfish.

It uses the host and the same time harming the host. 

A Parasite is an human equivalence to a Narcicisst.

It leeches into one host and anyone they are in contact with.  When they are removed from the host, they leech on the next and the next and the cycle rinses and repeats.

I know you are talking of a different movie. But a Parasite is a Parasite and has a negative affect  on society. 

A Parasite of whatever kind  poses with deception, creates a web of issues between people and situations, making it complex and it's a power play. Aim to establish the goal using deceptive powerplay on the hosts. Parasites are driven by Aspiration and will try and take control of everything to reach their goal. A Parasite is a leech. 

Why would anyone knowingly host a Parasite? 

Coming to your movie. I want to watch this and been waiting on my list. 

See how the family will try and spread their wings and take an arm for a finger advantage. 

There are Parasites in society. Some worse than others. 

Some are seen, some are hidden, very hidden.

If it helps, that is the point of Bong Joon's parasite ðŸ˜†

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: MostlyHarmIess

If it helps, that is the point of Bong Joon's parasite ðŸ˜†

I wouldn't have guessed Harmless.. ðŸ¤£

No.. I reiterated that.. bec I gave an example of another movie. And then I was drawing it up together, in which ever sense we look at it.. even away from this movie.. the parasite will always be shown in the same way. 

It's not alone this movie that puts it out only. 

Tum nahin samjo ge Harmless tum khabie nahin samjo ge.  

Because hamari posts sirf Koi Harmful hi samaj sakte hain. ðŸ¤£