Marriage equality: Why don't Bolly biggies come out?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Marriage equality hearings are on these days in India.

Why most of Bollywood except few makers and less known actors are silent?

I wonder why biggies like Karan Johar not openly come out about their sexual orientation?

There are others also who are probably part of LGBTQIA communities.

Why do they keep silent?

What stops them from challenging homophobia? Or speak for rights of sexual minorities? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Orientation: They should come out when/if they feel comfortable about it, no one can ask that of them. 

Coz at the end of the day, they are the ones who will have to live with the consequences of it. Even without KJo "confirming" it, he gets enough abuses about his orientation. He needs to make sure his kids don't get dragged into the mess or get picked on for it. Right now its like an open secret, maybe he is okay with that much.

Point clear hai, they have a lot to lose (even politically). If that scares them and they don't want to be that emotionally vulnerable in public, totally their choice. 

Yes, we are not China. But we as a country are also not THAT tolerant and great. 4 log taali bajayenge, 4000 character assassinate karenge and gaali denge. Not everyone has the strength to withstand that and that is okay.

Edited by Daebak - 1 years ago
atominis thumbnail

But I wonder if people with lot of money, power and privilege do not come out then who will? Why are they afraid to take a stand? 

There is a royal prince from Rajasthan who dared to come out as gay and speaks freely on LGBTQIA rights.

If he can use his power and privilege then so can others.

I sometimes wish Rekha, Ekta Kapoor and others who are rumoured to be lesbian or bisexual or queer also spoke out openly. Or atleast gave a hint of support to the cause saying there should be no discrimination.

Edited by atominis - 1 years ago
Daebak thumbnail
Originally posted by: atominis

There is a royal prince from Rajasthan who dared to come out as gay and speaks freely on LGBTQIA rights.

If he can use his power and privilege then so can others.

But that was his choice, right?

This is a very sensitive issue and 'choice' is the most important word here. Their life will change (for good or bad), we (you and I and other forum members) will certainly not have their back except making one Instagram post or IF comment over it.

It might work out brilliantly or their carefully curated life might collapse like a pack of cards. Are they willing to risk it all for the greater good? The government's recent stand has been anything but encouraging.

When everything is going fine for them, why would they stir the hornet's nest?

Edited by Daebak - 1 years ago
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

B/c it’s not KJo or any other LGBTQ+ person’s duty to come out when people think they should come out. They’ll come out in their own time & space, if at all. LGBTQ+ people don’t owe anyone a coming out/ a declaration of their sexual orientation. 

As for why other BW people aren’t speaking up, is b/c this government doesn’t believe in the basic constitutional tenet of “freedom of speech & expression.”

Daebak thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

LGBTQ+ people don’t owe anyone a coming out/ a declaration of their sexual orientation. 

THIS!

Navyya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

It clearly shows that it’s looked down upon ..Had it not then they would have come out openly

atominis thumbnail

I understand where you are coming from but it just makes me feel sadder and helpless if even people with power, wealth and privilege cannot speak out.

What is hope then? Ordinary ones are already heard less. 

I agree about Govt though and I see homophobic statements from politicians, RSS, religious orgs, TV channels, Bar Council...

Govt is trying their best to oppose rights and spreading homophobic propaganda through media and IT cell.

I hope atleast behind the scenes and clandestinely ones with privilege are holding backs for rights of sexual minorities. I understand the pressure they face though. 

atominis thumbnail

I do not want them to come out. I had hoped for them to speak for the rights of LGBTQIA or atleast hopefully give a statement that there should be no discrimination.

Otherwise one's orientation is purely their choice and privacy and they are not obligated to come out if they do not wish so.

I do admire courage of ones who do come out, like Dutee Chand who owned her identity and continued to speak despite backlash she got.

It gives courage and hope to others also and often helps educate ignorant ones. 

But I also understand not everyone is obligated to come out or educate others or take on bigotry openly.

Or share every part of their lives if they do not want to.

Originally posted by: atominis

But I wonder if people with lot of money, power and privilege do not come out then who will? Why are they afraid to take a stand? 

And what made you think that money and popularity (power) will save them from the wrath and backlash of people? 

Infect it will fuel those intolerant people even more who already envy of their money and power and will make it a legit excuse for them to brutally bash them. 

(More then powerful people coming out, we need to start educating such people on a grass root level and also the kids from school time of acceptance and respecting every human being in wjatwbr way their psyche is able. to. understand)