Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lighthouse thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

This is interesting. Connecting and inspiring intelligent women worldwide.

http://www.85broads.com/

Excerpt from their page.
"We have ventured boldly where no network has gone before. We have taken our original mission, in which we forged a relationship of collaboration and trust between current and former GS women, and expanded that mission to include young women at over 200 of the leading colleges, universities, and leading graduate schools of business, law, policy, medicine, and the arts. These women will become some of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen."
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

the operative word is drive....

if u have it drive it ..if u dont have it then stay in kitchen...and listen to, serve your husband.. with unconditional passion...

sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

Sareg....2 completely different scenarios...Making assumptions that family and corporate world project similar challenges.

When you are applying for a job,  you are selling to someone who is not against you.

why would your family be against youπŸ˜•

Infact he/she is trying to look for the best in you and how the firm can benefit from your knowledge..

When facing opposition at home from family members or spouse , you are already at the disadvantage and facing hostility and then their is emotional blackmail involved in a domestic situation too.

And the advantage is you have known them for years, just as they know you, you them too, education is all about learning from experiences, if you have not learnt from the past experiences, then this disadvantage/hostility is daunting, if not easy

One cannot say that if are you are not competent in changing a domestic situation to your advantage , you are not worthy to the corporate world.

worthy is when you are even willing to prove a worth, if you lose the hope before you even reach the corporate world, being worthy or unworthy is immaterial

πŸ˜•

A lot of succesful people and CEO's are terrible with their personal lives because one cannot apply the same rules to both domestic and corporate situations. Imagine a pre requisite for a job offer- Have you succeded in convincing your spouse or family?

Yes(and now please do not come back with men situation is different,b'cos I am tired of hearing that)

If not do not bother to apply.πŸ˜•

why not have not thousands if not millions done this before? there are always thousands of reasons in not doing something, there is only one reason for doing it

It is the same for educated men as for educated women, plain and simple, but you can choose not to accept it, that is your choice, in my original post

Edited by sareg - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

Sareg....2 completely different scenarios...Making assumptions that family and corporate world project similar challenges.

When you are applying for a job,  you are selling to someone who is not against you. Infact he/she is trying to look for the best in you and how the firm can benefit from your knowledge..

When facing opposition at home from family members or spouse , you are already at the disadvantage and facing hostility and then their is emotional blackmail involved in a domestic situation too.

One cannot say that if are you are not competent in changing a domestic situation to your advantage , you are not worthy to the corporate world.

A lot of succesful people and CEO's are terrible with their personal lives because one cannot apply the same rules to both domestic and corporate situations. Imagine a pre requisite for a job offer- Have you succeded in convincing your spouse or family? If not do not bother to apply.πŸ˜•

Excellent post lighthouse.. 😊

MNMS thumbnail
Now my 2 cents [sorry couldn't come to contribute in time ]

I have noticed myself that many a women have not come up to that mark of ambition which i think they should have come. I have seen many females seeing themselves reserved for a particular task for their lives [no offence to homemakers, I respect them a lot 😊 ]

BUT if a woman sets a particular ambition for herself, goes out and work, not just to help her family..but to achieve her dreams, It is i think one of the backward and orthrodox mind-set of our society to discourage her.

How to counter this orthrodox [and if im being more truthful and a bit harsh..its rubbish thinking 🀒 ]mind-set is my basic question. For me, My parents are very passionate for me getting professional at work. My mom explained me that why it is crucial for women to be educated and work for their own. My papa taught me to dream..and how to dream BIG! It is something i call a fabulous support system. 😊

I disagree with Sareg Uncle. What i understood from his posts was that if a female is not able to persuade her family members, she is not able/worth to the work place either πŸ˜• I totally agree with Pravina. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ i know It is the family members who provide the biggest support, but if they don't then women should go and fulfill their dreams..It is her life! if family members aren't convinced [And im sure females have tried 1000000 times to get the sense knocked into them ] it is the opposer's problem! Women will never stop just because somebody isn't happy that she is successful 🀒 Its hard to keep everyone happy πŸ˜›

Is it good and worth for a woman facing opposition at home to continue this violence, stay at home and face the depression and inferiority complex...and then pass it to her children? πŸ˜• ....All this just for the sake of MCP mentality 🀒 to keep them happy 🀒 and then Women should loose their lives and dreams because they cannot change the inferior thinking of MCP and so they shouldn't go to the corporate world where they can get the appreciation of their talent πŸ˜• This is something not understandable At least not to a fierce feminist like me πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰
sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: MNMS

I disagree with Sareg Uncle.

What i understood from his posts was that if a female is not able to persuade her family members, she is not able/worth to the work place either πŸ˜•

πŸ˜•

I totally agree with Pravina. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ i know

It is the family members who provide the biggest support, but if they don't then women should go and fulfill their dreams..It is her life! if family members aren't convinced [And im sure females have tried 1000000 times to get the sense knocked into them ] it is the opposer's problem! Women will never stop just because somebody isn't happy that she is successful 🀒 Its hard to keep everyone happy πŸ˜›

Let me re-write this againπŸ˜‰

If someone educated wants to make a career, family members disagree then

A. that person sits at home and blames the parents

B. that person gets over the opposition and goes to work, if that person gets over this hump, the steps further are very easy

what I am saying is if she is educated, then for A, it is not her family that is to be at blame, it is "her" that is to blame(In my world, we are responsible for our actions, surroundings are just a mere reflection of those actionsπŸ˜‰)

B'cos all A means to me is the a person is only capable to the limit till his/her family members allow and not a factor of his/her abilities and that is not true and if we agree to A. Again I am qualifying this point only to educated people.

I dont think there is anything more for me to add here, beyond thisπŸ˜ƒ

Edited by sareg - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

Let me re-write this againπŸ˜‰

If someone educated wants to make a career, family members disagree then

A. that person sits at home and blames the parents

B. that person gets over the opposition and goes to work, if that person gets over this hump, the steps further are very easy

what I am saying is if she is educated, then for A, it is not her family that is to be at blame, it is "her" that is to blame(In my world, we are responsible for our actions, surroundings are just a mere reflection of those actionsπŸ˜‰)

B'cos all A means to me is the a person is only capable to the limit till his/her family members allow and not a factor of his/her abilities and that is not true and if we agree to A. Again I am qualifying this point only to educated people.

I dont think there is anything more for me to add here, beyond thisπŸ˜ƒ

I think you should show a little respect for the A types.. If they are educated and respect the wishes at home.. its a clear indicator of respecting family values...and having intelligence at the same time unlike she who tries to flaunt her education and liberated behavior by going around in halter tops and hip-hugging shorts around her in-laws...πŸ˜†..(for all you know the father in law may be an heart patientπŸ˜†, so if not anything atleast out of compassion.)

By trying to call them cowards, lacking ability, or if you cant convince your inlaws you are unsuitable to convince in business scenarios... is totally in correct and out of place...and lighthouses rebuttal makes rest of my points..

I believe in a general rule "Live anyway, but dont live with regrets.."

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail

Not trying to prove anything here but interesting read about plight of Princess Masako of Japan, a highly successful and Harvard educated career woman after her marraige to Crown Prince Naruhito.

"A brilliant woman sacrifices her career to marry a love-struck prince. Inevitably, the fairy-story turns to tragedy when Masako Owada is unable to adjust to the pressures of living in Japan's ancient imperial court. It was feared that the royal dynasty, the world's oldest with a 2600-year-history, would die out if Masako and Crown Prince Naruhito could not bear a boy - but after 13 years of marriage, both are now in their 40s and have only a daughter, little Aiko, born with the help of IVF"
More at - http://www.benhills.com/books/PrincessMasako/index.html

MNMS thumbnail
I agree with Q Uncle. 😊

You see, the type-A are the Women victim of the backward/rubbish behavior for which this whole thread is concerned about. It is I think a major responsibility on Parents to infuse a sense of individuality in their girls so that they can stand tall in the world of male dominated society.

Their [type-A's] actions are a reflextion of the society created mold of "Good Girl" 🀒 🀒 🀒 As such to "Meet the standards of society it is necessary to be a victim" -Quoting from the book of 'Rules for Women by society, A road to be a Good Girl'    πŸ€’ [Pun intended]

So, It isn't their fault! If the parents had taught them about their self-esteem, self-worth and ability to appreciate their talents...type-A would be extint! πŸ˜ƒ

Finally, for the type-A I think they should leave those 🀬husbands and in-laws who try to control her .... Divorce is still a very good option in front of me than to live a supressed life!
sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

I think you should show a little respect for the A types.(pity). If they are educated and respect the wishes at home.(bound by their conviction, not ability). its a clear indicator of respecting family values...and having intelligence at the same time unlike she who tries to flaunt her education and liberated behavior by going around in halter tops and hip-hugging shorts around her in-laws...πŸ˜†.(what did you call the working woman againπŸ˜‰).(for all you know the father in law may be an heart patientπŸ˜†,(poor poor me) so if not anything atleast out of compassion(πŸ˜†πŸ˜†pity).)

By trying to call them cowards(I didnt, I said it is their decision, you called it cowardly), lacking ability, or if you cant convince your inlaws you are unsuitable to convince in business scenarios..(this is the extrapolation you came up with, what I said was if your convincing power was not there, you cannot convince an employer to hire you and even if you did, your compulsions at home will drive the workplace down). is totally in correct and out of place...and lighthouses rebuttal makes rest of my points..(sureπŸ˜ƒ)

I believe in a general rule "Live anyway, but find excuses for things you are not able to doπŸ˜‰."