🏏India vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI - Eden Gardens, Kolkata 🏏

Posted: 1 years ago

๐ŸIndia vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI - Eden Gardens, Kolkata ๐Ÿ

India vs Sri Lanka, 1st ODI: Who will 1st ODI match between India and Sri  Lanka?

India will be taking on Sri Lanka in the second ODI at the Eden Gardens today. India won the first ODI of the series by 67 runs and is leading the 3-match series by 1-0.

India had a terrific day with the bat, scoring 373 runs at the end of 50 overs while batting first. Virat Kohli scored a magnificent ton, while Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill scored half-centuries.

In reply, Sri Lanka managed to pile up 306 runs, and skipper Dasun Shanka hammered an unbeaten century. Umran Malik hunted three scalps for India.

Sri Lanka will be aiming to make a comeback in the series, while India will be eyeing another win to gain an unassailable lead. An exciting contest is anticipated here between these two sides once again.

The morning after Sri Lanka's 67-run defeat in Guwahati, Kusal Mendis tweeted in appreciation of his captain Dasun Shanaka and opener Pathum Nissanka, while also suggesting the rest needed to 'pull up their socks'. 

That might seem to suggest the visitors could've batted better, but the need to level up spreads across all disciplines. 

India will have little to complain about such a complete performance in the opener. Rohit reckoned India could've bowled better, but conceding 300 in the end was still down to the impact dew had on the second innings. 

The bowlers made a very good start to push Sri Lanka behind the eight-ball from the outset - the sort of expertise teams will rely on consistently while having to defend a total in dewy conditions at the World Cup.

Rohit Sharma-Dasun Shanaka

India vs sri lanka 2nd ODI Highlights 2023 | IND vs SL 2nd ODI Highlights |  Hotstar | Cricket 22 - YouTube

India vs Sri Lanka Match Weather Report Sri Lanka Tour of India 2nd ODI:

The temperature is expected to hover around 26ยฐC on the matchday with 46% humidity and 8 km/hr wind speed. There are no chances of precipitation during the game.

More runs and more dew at a venue that's been kinder to batters. A sunny day and a hazy evening with temperatures in the early 20s is on the cards.

India vs Sri Lanka Match Pitch Report Sri Lanka Tour of India 2nd ODI:

The pitch at the Eden Gardens provides an impartial wicket where both departments are expected to receive a decent amount of help. Spinners can come lethal in the middle overs while pacers will be in the game throughout on this track.

Average 1st innings score:

The average first-innings score on this wicket is 228 runs.

Record of chasing teams:

The team batting second doesnโ€™t enjoy good records here. They have a winning percentage of 40 on this track.

Cricket photo index - Sri Lanka vs India, Sri Lanka in India, 2nd T20I  Match photos | ESPNcricinfo.com

2nd game at Kolkatta: 

- The last time Rohit Sharma played against Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens, he scored the highest-ever ODI score - 264

- Since January 2021, India have won 8 of the 10 ODIs played at home. Since then, Sri Lanka have played 27 ODIs - both home and away - and lost 15 of them.

• Virat Kohli(12,584) needs 67 runs to go past Mahela Jayawardene's ODI tally of 12650 and move to fifth position on the list of top run-getters in the format.

Cricket photo index - Sri Lanka vs India, Sri Lanka in India, 2nd T20I  Match photos | ESPNcricinfo.com

India: There was much debate about putting Ishan Kishan on the bench based on his recent form, but Shubman Gill added to the dilemma as he scored a 60-ball 70 in the series opener. With the ball, Umran Malik repaid the faith put in him with wickets in the middle-overs. India should retain the same XI that earned them the series lead.

Probable XI: Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Hardik Pandya, Axar Patel, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Umran Malik, Yuzvendra Chahal

Sri Lanka: Dilshan Madushanka dismissed Rohit but had a middling debut otherwise, finishing with figures of 1 for 43. Lahiru Kumara in his place could be an experienced option. Left-arm spinner Dunith Wellalage was ineffective too, and could make way for Maheesh Theekshana.

Probable XI: Pathum Nissanka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Mendis, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Dunith Wellalage/Maheesh Theekshana, Chamika Karunaratne, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka/Lahiru Kumara

India vs Sri Lanka 2nd ODI Live Streaming: When and where to watch IND vs  SL 2nd ODI Live on TV and Online | Cricket - Hindustan Times

Did you know:

- The last time Rohit Sharma played against Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens, he scored the highest-ever ODI score - 264

- Since January 2021, India have won 8 of the 10 ODIs played at home. Since then, Sri Lanka have played 27 ODIs - both home and away - and lost 15 of them.

India vs Sri Lanka 2nd T20I: Action in images | Hindustan Times

India National Cricket Team

What they said--- 

"My preparation and intent always remain the same. I thought I was hitting the ball nicely. It was close to the template I play with, I understood we needed an extra 25-30 runs. I tried to understand the conditions in the second half. Tried to get a comfortable total for us on the board." - Virat Kohli after his 45th ODI century.

"I think the start their openers gave, we didn't use the new ball well, unlike their bowlers who got it to swing" - Dasun Shanaka on his team's failure in the first ODI.

The iconic Eden Gardens play host to the second ODI between India and Sri Lanka, where the hosts will be looking to seal the series. Team India got off to a super start in their first ODI game of a World Cup year, as Virat Kohli smashed a second consecutive hundred while Rohit Sharma found some form once again with a very positive fifty. On the bowling front, their tearaway quick Umran Malik seems to be integrating well into the setup, as the 23-year-old proved to be the lead wicket taker in that first game. Rohit Sharma and co. would hope for more of the same in the days to follow to further fortify that squad for the World Cup.

Sri Lanka were outplayed in the first game, but their skipper Dasun Shanaka put his hand up and scored a noteworthy century. He got some support from Pathum Nissanka, but the rest of the Sri Lankan batters are yet to make their mark in this series. Bowling remains a concern as well, since none of their bowlers could manage an economy rate under six in that first ODI. We could expect a few changes on the bowling front today, with the pitch at Eden historically suiting pace and bounce. Stick around to know about the team changes and thoughts of the captainโ€ฆ

Sanket: "In the last game at the end Rohit showed great sportsmanship towards Shanka by withdrawing run out appeal. But indirectly it made Shami the culprit. He did his part by running the batter out who was taking unfair advantage but his captain left him hung dry. Team india needs to think beforehand are they going to do this or not and whatever is their choice whole team should follow it."