Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Does cinema promote hate against educated women?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Laadla has always made me think if cinema has always promoted hate against educated, working, career oriented women or women in positions of power or women who have been given freedom by parents to speak or work the way they want?

Judaai has also shown educated, foreign returned Jhanvi as obsessed with a married man who is father of 2 kids.

Most films and serials seem to show working or outspoken and highly educated or outspoken women as characterless or loose or vamps or badly behaved or someone who needs to be tamed and taught a lesson by a man or has too much ego.

Some older films like Jeevan Dhaara, Ek hi bhool show it as some form of torture for a woman to work as if it was some majboori due to lack of male earning members in family. 

Anupam Kher in Laadla treats his daughter as someone who needs to be tamed or is spoiled and he is willing to marry her off to a mechanic in his factory to tame her and teach her a lesson.

Why? South films like Padayappa, Manan also show working or urban woman as a vamp and bitch who is best rejected or needs to be tamed and a rape attempt or beating by male will set her right. And that only a village belle or less educated girl is nice.

Aandhi has also shown female character as either spoiled or regretting her career. Aaina shows Amrita Singh as sort of a vamp for being competitive or wanting to pursue career in modelling and films and her sister Juhi who is gharelu, submissive and sits home is better.

Films nowadays also sort of show urban or educated girls as loose or professional women as lacking something in life or having affairs or feeling 'complete' only if they get a BF or husband.

Why usually show working or ambitious or career oriented or urban, NRI, established women as vamps or someone who needs to be tamed or taught a lesson? Why promote hate against outspoken or powerful women or show woman attains success by compromising only or becomes a wasteful mess later like women shown in Fashion, Satta, Heroine? So only girls in Barjatya or Johar films whose only dream is to marry a rich NRI are okay. Others are vamps or characterless, mannerless, drain on parents and husband or need to be tamed by hero or husband or villain? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

The movies you mention are atleast 20 yrs old...

Things have changed nowadays onscreen, or am I wrong?

In Judaai the uneducated wife was also shown as someone money hungry and willing to sell her own husband for money

In Aandhi I thought she was portrayed in a sympathetic way, how it's not easy for a woman in a man's world...

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Yes Ladlaa was terribl,,  the movie in general also the portrayal of the heroine

She gives up everything and surrenders to him in the end completely... Yuck

It's a remake of Rajnikanth movie "Mannan" so it's not surprising 

That was his ( and his fans') fantasy I guess although in real life things were opposite 

He had to eat crow when he locked heads with powerful women 😛

Abhigya.fan thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

All the 90s south (Telugu specifically) movies were steeped in misogyny and patriarchy  in general to glorify the hero and his greatness.  They're still like that today to a great extent. The arrogant, better qualified, foreign returned woman was automatically a vamp and had to be tamed to be worthy of the hero 🙄 I gave up expecting better for actresses in telugu movies. The progress is non existent. 

Bollywood has made some strides in portraying financially independent emancipated women but it's still not there in terms of well rounded, three dimensional women characters. 

Edited by Abhigya.fan - 1 years ago
YourCat thumbnail

Is it that movie with seridevi character " understand, you better understand".. 😆 it was comedy piece.. 

Edited by YourCat - 1 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Sadly, it was the same for popular Malayalam movies. Things started changing recently, though. I'm cautiously optimistic.

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

The 90s in general was a horrible period when it came to female characters. They had to be virginal good girls who could be educated but ultimately had to sacrifice everything for their husbands, or fathers. And they absolutely couldn’t drink. Alcohol was a big no no in the 90s. Don’t even get me started on heroes harassing and chasing the girl throughout their college campus, but he was still the hero as long as he didn’t penetrate her and break her hymen 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I don’t think movies were against education as much as the ultimate goal of every female character had to be pleasing (perhaps that was meant to be taken as serving) her husband. I even remember some movies using the phrase “ek Hindustani aurat” in their dialogues and basically making it a point of pride for Indian women not to put themselves first.  

Edited by IAmLuvBolly - 1 years ago
Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7

80s and 90s were terrible times for Indian women on screen. I find many Hindi movies from 60s and 70s more progressive. But the tide is turning back to a more balanced approach and women are portrayed reasonably well in most of the recent films I have watched. 

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

That was 20 years ago . Havent seen any such kind of movie from BW since ages. 

Edited by 2RsFan - 1 years ago
naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

U have to watch bulandi for most cringe worthy content. 

https://youtu.be/BjiWmIh62RE 

Raveena is just an educated rich woman married to dehati type anul and still portrayed negatively.