SilverBell thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 1 years ago

Nice Thread

happy Guru Nanak Jayanti! 

Originally posted by: Life_Is_Dutiful

Picsart_22-11-04_17-11-06-627.png

Guru Nanak Jayanti, also known as Gurpurab is the most important festival for the followers of Sikhism. This festival is celebrated on Kartik Poornima which is the 15th lunar day in the month of Kartika. On this day, the founder of the Sikh religion Guru Nanak was born. 

Guru Nanak was born on April 15, 1469, at Rai Bhoi ki Talwandi near Lahore which is now in Pakistan. He founded Sikhism in the 15th century. He also wrote the religious book of Sikhs known as Guru Granth Sahib.

Picsart_22-11-04_17-12-22-195.png

Guru Nanak Jayanti celebrations usually commence two days before his birthday. Prabhat Pheris or early morning processions are conducted by the Gurudwaras. Sikhs take part in these processions singing and chanting hymns across various localities. Gurudwaras also organize Akhand Path which is a 48-hour nonstop reading of Guru Granth Sahib. A day before his birthday, Nagar Kirtans are also organized. This is another procession led by five men known as Panj Pyare holding the Sikh flag Nishan Sahib and a palki of Guru Granth Sahib. These processions include singers singing hymns, and 'Gatka' teams who display their swordsmanship through martial arts and fighting mock battles using traditional weapons. 

On the day of Guru Nanak Jayanti, the celebrations begin at Amrit Vela which is the early morning at 4 or 5 am. People sing Asaa-Ki-Vaar or morning hymns. Then the Katha of Guru Nanak is recited followed by Kirtan in his praise.

A free lunch service known as Langar is organized in the Gurudwara. Langar is a Persian word that means almshouse' or 'a place for the poor and needy.' People belonging to different strata of society are provided free lunch by the Gurudwaras.

Night prayer sessions are also held in the Gurudwaras which begin around sunset and continue till 2 am.

We Crazy Creatives wish you all a very happy Guru Nanak Jayanti! 

Picsart_22-11-04_17-14-29-408.png

Cr: sxursaep

Friend of mine Gurvinder Singh lived

In New jersey. He often Visited Gurudwar

We talked regularly on phone.

Do you mind i Copy & Paste this post to him in usa? 

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

Originally posted by: Duetslover

Friend of mine Gurvinder Singh lived

In New jersey. He often Visited Gurudwar

We talked regularly on phone.

Do you mind i Copy & Paste this post to him in usa? 

I propose an alternative that is better for everyone involved:

Send your friend the link to the post (below).

India Forums will get traffic from your friend's visit.

The Crazy Creatives will feel gratified that their volunteer effort to generate interest in India Forums is appreciated.

You don't have to wait for permission because this is a publicly visible area of the website.

Your friend will get to see the post sooner, and might find other topics of interest on India Forums.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162082324