Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Sushmita to play a transgender. Picture page 3 - Page 2

priya185 thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago
from what I read in the article none of these roles are in Bollywood. only web shows or singer or regional cinema 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: priya185

from what I read in the article none of these roles are in Bollywood. only web shows or singer or regional cinema 

But that's the thing. Why can't regional actors be casted, or even web show actors. Kaam kya hai, acting, platform koi bhi ho, as long as the representation is proper and the community is uplifted.

priya185 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

But that's the thing. Why can't regional actors be casted, or even web show actors. Kaam kya hai, acting, platform koi bhi ho, as long as the representation is proper and the community is uplifted.

From articles I read this project is ott not Bollywood 

Unfortunately more people will watch the show if Sushmita does it rather than a real transgender 

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

From articles I read this project is ott not Bollywood 

Unfortunately more people will watch the show if Sushmita does it rather than a real transgender 

You are making me circle back to the same thing yet you have given the answer. The platform isn't important, our intolerance to the transgender community is why they don't get to represent thier own community.

Same with gay character. Almost every OTT show has a token gay character, but how many are actually played by actors who are out of the closet. I don't mean to say that they should come out, it's their call. I just hope that the character is well researched like Vaani's and not another Ada Sharma stupidity, though Sush is much smarter than that.

priya185 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

You are making me circle back to the same thing yet you have given the answer. The platform isn't important, our intolerance to the transgender community is why they don't get to represent thier own community.

Same with gay character. Almost every OTT show has a token gay character, but how many are actually played by actors who are out of the closet. I don't mean to say that they should come out, it's their call. I just hope that the character is well researched like Vaani's and not another Ada Sharma stupidity, though Sush is much smarter than that.

I don't think everyone is intolerant I am just saying a famous celebrity playing a transgender gets more views

Anyway, there is no point replying to you if you are not listening to / misunderstanding what I am saying😆

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

I don't think everyone is intolerant I am just saying a famous celebrity playing a transgender gets more views

Anyway, there is no point replying to you if you are not listening to / misunderstanding what I am saying😆

M nt. I am getting your point. It's all money in the end. But again, Why can't a trans person get the same laud and praise? Why can't they get the popularity? Give them the right role, that's why OTT is way more flexible, talent is the king there. Mairembam played who she is on the screen, so why can't other producers rely on the sheer talent. 

And by you, m saying the whole public, not YOU. 

I just want the communities to get a say at the table. Again, it's not about you, it's about the audience and showbiz not giving and looking down on the LGBTQAI+ community and not recognising them for their talent but making them a plot device . 

And about everyone not being intolerant, imma just gonna let housefull 5 and other such movies write horrible jokes about the community.

Edited by oye_nakhrewaali - 1 years ago
Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

I can see what you're saying.. it's more important that the community is presented in a right way than having a member of the community represent their community... I mean kjo being from a gay community made a joke of gays with Dostana.. the way mainstream Bollywood is one can't expect a true representation from them be it gays, lesbian, transgender or whatever alpha gender community is there.🤦‍♂️

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

So far I've liked Vaani's and Kubra Sait's portrayal of a transwomen in Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui & Sacred Games respectively. They were well-layered characters.

Rest have been hit and miss.

I must we've come a long way since the problematic portrayals of LGBT folks, but still a long way to go.

Waiting for the day when portrayals like these are normalized and accepted.smiley20

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Nothing wrong in Sush playing the character. We're in the very early phases of accepting the people of alternate identities in our country.

India, despite its very accepting ancient history, is still a very queer phobic country. smiley18

Before questioning actors and film industry, please think about how many LGBT laywers, doctors, teachers, engineers have you met in real life? Must be very few.
Majority of that community is still marginalized. They didn't have basic human rights until a few years ago.

We should accept first learn to acknowledge and accept them in real life. At least, casting actors like Sushmita (Miss Universe, seasoned actress) in projects like this will help in spreading awareness and normalizing the acceptance of LGBT community.

Please remember. We've only begun. Changes happen over time, not over night.👍🏼❤️