Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Congratulations to Asha Parekh on receiving the Dadasaheb Phalke Award

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Asha Parekh bestowed with Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Outstanding Contribution To Film Industry

smiley10

Veteran actress Asha Parekh has been selected for the Dadasaheb Phalke award for the year 2020 and will be handed the award at the National Film Awards ceremony, to be held in New Delhi on Friday.

She started working in films at the age of 10 and has acted in more than 95 films. President Droupadi Murmu will bestow the award on September 30 along with the National Film Awards.  

Known as the 'Hit Girl' of Indian cinema, Asha Parekh appeared in many commercially successful films throughout her career. She was the highest-paid actor (female) of her time, and was one of the most successful actors (female) of the 1960s and 1970s. She is considered one of the most influential actors of all time in Hindi cinema.

Her most iconic films include: 'Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai' (1961), 'Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon' (1963), 'Teesri Manzil' (1966), 'Baharon Ke Sapne' (1967), 'Pyar Ka Mausam' (1969), 'Kati Patang' (1970) and Caravan (1971) among several others. She also did a cameo in Nasir Hussain's film 'Manzil Manzil' (1984) with whom she had earlier done 6 films.

In 1992, she was honored with the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her contribution to the field of cinema. She is also the recipient of the Living Legend Award from the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).  

In a career spanning almost 5 decades, Asha Parekh started her journey as a child artist at the age of 10 with the film Maa under the screen name Baby Asha Parekh. The social family drama was directed by Bimal Roy for Bombay Talkies. He was asked to come to Bombay from Kolkata to direct the film for the studio, which was going through bad times.

Bimal Roy saw Asha's dance at a stage function and cast her in the film, and then repeated her in Baap Beti. Latter, she did a few more child roles, then she quit to resume her schooling.  

At the age of sixteen, she again tried her hand at acting. She tried to make her debut as a heroine, but she was rejected from Vijay Bhatt's 'Goonj Uthi Shehnai' because the filmmaker claimed she was not star material. Later, film producer Subodh Mukherjee and writer-director Nasir Hussain cast her as the heroine in 'Dil Deke Dekho', opposite Shammi Kapoor, which made her a huge star.  

Mostly portrayed as a glamorous, even tomboyish, figure, with some notable exceptions as a classical dancer in a few films, Parekh not only became a leading actress -- among the highest paid of her time -- but also was a style icon with her choice of clothes and elegant coiffure. 

Her super hits in the span of her career are --  "Dil Deke Dekho" (1959), "Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai" (1961),"Teesri Manzil" (1966), "Do Badan" (1966),"Love in Tokyo" (1966) "Pyar Ka Mausam" (1969), "Baharon Ke Sapne" (1967),  "Kati Patang" (1970), "Caravan" (1971). 

smiley10

Congratulations to Asha Parekh on receiving the Dadasaheb Phalke Award,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2qO3lt-dE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafkWmft2lo

Edited by Viswasruti - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Savera84 thumbnail

Congratulations to Asha Parekh.🥳

She is one of the versatile actresses of her time.👏

Cheers..

atominis thumbnail

Congrats to her. She has always been an icon and single, self made, childfree achiever and also worked hard for welfare of senior or retired cine artistes, she has also been successful producer on TV.

But I do not think she deserved the highest award in cinema as she hardly had iconic career like Hema, MD, Sridevi etc., nor acting chops of Nargis, Nutan or all round work in cinema like Devika Rani. 

Viswasruti thumbnail
Originally posted by: atominis

Congrats to her. She has always been an icon and single, self made, childfree achiever and also worked hard for welfare of senior or retired cine artistes, she has also been successful producer on TV.

But I do not think she deserved the highest award in cinema as she hardly had iconic career like Hema, MD, Sridevi etc., nor acting chops of Nargis, Nutan or all round work in cinema like Devika Rani. 

Waheeda Rehaman is highly talented, graceful, dignified and well versed, highly knowledgeable actress with great dancing skills. 

Asha Parekh has a special wing in Nanavati Hospital. Asha Parekh Hospital is known  for housing experienced Psychiatrists. Dr.Amit Kulkarni, a well-reputed Psychiatrist, and some other good doctors. 

atominis thumbnail

I am aware of real life social work Asha ji has done and it is awesome. But that merits her awards like Padma Bhushan  or Padma Vibhushan. Not the highest award in cinema.

Highest award in cinema should focus only on cinematic values and work IMO. I understood when Amitabh and Rajinikanth got this award. But not Asha ji.

Viswasruti thumbnail

I am aware of real life social work Asha ji has done and it is awesome. But that merits her awards like Padma Bhushan  or Padma Vibhushan. Not the highest award in cinema.

Highest award in cinema should focus only on cinematic values and work IMO. I understood when Amitabh and Rajinikanth got this award. But not Asha ji.

It seems, you haven't seen the first line  in my post regarding Waheeda Rehman, indirectly I said the same. 🤗 

atominis thumbnail

Waheeda is a Muslim. Why would this govt give her award? 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Waheeda is a Muslim. Why would this govt give her award? 

That is the main point. 😊 Talent shouldn't be measured according to region, or religion !! 

But, if someone get recognition, let us congratulate with a smile. 

Edited by Viswasruti - 1 years ago
atominis thumbnail

Modi smartly gave award to a Gujarati this time and Guj elections are also soon due. 

Minionite thumbnail

OMG finally! She totally deserves it. I loved watching her movies as a kid and I still love them.