Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 1 years ago

Yes it's bad to always use swear words in the most colourful languages. But isn't it the reality to some extent in our society? I don't think it's due to social media most people are staetwd swearing. People swear worst that also before web series and social media interaction became popular. Do you all ready think log phool barsaakar jhagda karte the pehle? Have anyone never heard the swear words people use in villages and chawls? Have anyone ever heard quarells of villagers or chawl people? Not just that people using them even in cities. It was common among youngsters when the friends group be alone or while texting. Some of the words I am hearing from childhood that is as early as late 90s or early 2000s even from kids but back then some of these words were used as some adjectives and we're not really that offensive but still kids would not advised to use them casually. Ch*t*ya or chaman were simply alternatives of stupid. Just like sl*t and b*tch were normal adjectives and used normally and only few decades back it became censored words around the world. Sl*t earlier simply meant dirty while b*tch simply meant female dogs. So the words used on social media is not learnt on social media but from elders and friends around them in real life. 

Yes many web series use swear words more than necessary but there are several web series which hardly use such words using them only necessary. People had always used such words. Sirf bahot logon ko dikhta nahi tha. So it does not mean sab kuch social media ya web series ke aane ke baad faila hai. And about the kids using such words it's parents responsibility to see what their kids watch on TV and on internet. Swearing is absolutely not harmful than smoking, drinking and drugs which youngsters got influenced to do much before social media and web series came. Web series ya social media filter karne se sab kuch badal nahi jaayega. It will continue because as I said these words are common among elders talks. As for kids, elders obviously filter while talking in front of them but these kids do hear such words from somewhere else and starts using them as they grow up. 

Originally posted by: Shri_12

I disagree with the fact that usage of swear words has increased because of social media. I have observed very elderly people using such cuss words as normal. This community can hardly read in English, let alone use social media. The only thing that I have observed is change of medium. Earlier it was oral, which meant you have to be within hearing range to recognize the words. If you haven't heard someone swearing it is quite likely that they delibrately filter out words in front of you and would use those words liberally with some other people. But on SM, the medium is written, along with automated suggestions, so if you watch one video/tweet with the cuss word, it is likely that more such video/tweet will appear on your feed. As rightly pointed out, anonymity is a good reason.

I think this is the most logical answer I read in this topic. Humaare gharwale aise words humaare saamne use nahi kiye iska matlab ye nahi ki aise words hote nahi the. 

Bold: Fully agree with this. In villages, chawls and even in cities you hear people using worst words several times. And these are from the people who we don't think spend all their time on social media or pay subscription for web series. Log gaaliyan jaruri nahi social media aur web series se seekhte hai par actually they learn from real people. 

Arziya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail + 8

There is no denying that words existed before and used by all walks of life, I have never in my life come across people using swear words just for the sake of it, like people do today on SM sites. I disagree to the fact that its not SM sites responsible for common usage of the profanity, such language usage has widespread only on and due to SM sites and the OTT platform which is viewed over Internet anywhere in the world.

People in village and chawl those that cannot read and write are not the question here, here is the question of the trends/posts/comments that are in such language that it has become disturbing to some extent be it kids or adults, for example there was a trend building up on Arjun Kapoor R****wa hai, for a comment he said in an interview, another example is of the rapists served laddoos I mean there is crime and there is criminology whatever the case was it connects you emotionally and  there is emotion involved in people writing stuff on SM sites, you cannot say that this has been culture of the learned as soon as you are in teenage, you should hear such cuss language because that's your culture. That has not been the culture, boys/brothers/fathers using the swear words for business sake or matters wherein these words were necessary and  were justified for using as being male heads of their household. That to some degree is acceptable, but male heads using abusive language for domestic violence is not acceptable.

Today girls and boys irrespective of gender there is equality of using profanity on SM sites and in their daily conversations its a cause and effect situation, you on SM are this cool kid who swears every now and then for little to no issues, and you join your friends in person and continue doing so, raises a question of mannerisms for sure. 

Originally posted by: Arziya

There is no denying that words existed before and used by all walks of life, I have never in my life come across people using swear words just for the sake of it, like people do today on SM sites. I disagree to the fact that its not SM sites responsible for common usage of the profanity, such language usage has widespread only on and due to SM sites and the OTT platform which is viewed over Internet anywhere in the world.

People in village and chawl those that cannot read and write are not the question here, here is the question of the trends/posts/comments that are in such language that it has become disturbing to some extent be it kids or adults, for example there was a trend building up on Arjun Kapoor R****wa hai, for a comment he said in an interview, another example is of the rapists served laddoos I mean there is crime and there is criminology whatever the case was it connects you emotionally and  there is emotion involved in people writing stuff on SM sites, you cannot say that this has been culture of the learned as soon as you are in teenage, you should hear such cuss language because that's your culture. That has not been the culture, boys/brothers/fathers using the swear words for business sake or matters wherein these words were necessary and  were justified for using as being male heads of their household. That to some degree is acceptable, but male heads using abusive language for domestic violence is not acceptable.

Today girls and boys irrespective of gender there is equality of using profanity on SM sites and in their daily conversations its a cause and effect situation, you on SM are this cool kid who swears every now and then for little to no issues, and you join your friends in person and continue doing so, raises a question of mannerisms for sure. 

Yes it's wrong to use such words in every line where it's not even needed that it looks forced or wannabe. And I have many of those putting their into each and every thing they find western but won't stop using swear words. To problem yaha bhi ho jaati hai. In fact, I find it hypocrisy. 

From last 2-3 years some people acting oversmart by saying things like our Indian culture is ruining, this is not Indian culture, India is copying West and so on in many posts where they are not even needed. You will see such people on any social media. When we all thought our generation will be more modern and open-minded we see these kinds of wannabe cultural people. 

Arziya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Jerry_Chuhiya

Yes it's wrong to use such words in every line where it's not even needed that it looks forced or wannabe. And I have many of those putting their into each and every thing they find western but won't stop using swear words. To problem yaha bhi ho jaati hai. In fact, I find it hypocrisy. 

From last 2-3 years some people acting oversmart by saying things like our Indian culture is ruining, this is not Indian culture, India is copying West and so on in many posts where they are not even needed. You will see such people on any social media. When we all thought our generation will be more modern and open-minded we see these kinds of wannabe cultural people. 

Indian culture ruining or India becoming open minded and modern is another debate altogether. The language used by Twitteratis in any country bashing politicians/celebrities/criminals has crossed its limit of being fine. Trolling people in such language is not cool in my opinion be it any country especially if you are being carried away by the trends if I am correct. Fandoms on the other hand have made the celebrities Gods which is another problem we have got on these SM sites wherein they cannot handle even criticism well. 

I am just saying that be it US or India there are some people who question the language being used on SM sites, youth particularly early 2000’s onwards born will find it okay and nothing wrong most of the time. But people who are old and have seen times where these words were considered swear and not so cool attitude will find it somewhat disturbing. 

Again it’s Freedom Of Speech as defended by everyone on SM sites. These posts/trends/comments I find very disturbing  to be honest especially those that are used for mocking be it politicians or celebrities. 

nethraa_99 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

It is a fact that social media has made the world more polarized. While it should and is being used for exchange of ideas, it has also led to more acrimony & divide between people with different beliefs & affiliations.

And the toxicity in social media does not elicit much disapproval or shock because the toxicity has been normalized. That's the most worrying part. 

Edited by nethraa_99 - 1 years ago

Indian culture ruining or India becoming open minded and modern is another debate altogether. The language used by Twitteratis in any country bashing politicians/celebrities/criminals has crossed its limit of being fine. Trolling people in such language is not cool in my opinion be it any country especially if you are being carried away by the trends if I am correct. Fandoms on the other hand have made the celebrities Gods which is another problem we have got on these SM sites wherein they cannot handle even criticism well. 

I am just saying that be it US or India there are some people who question the language being used on SM sites, youth particularly early 2000’s onwards born will find it okay and nothing wrong most of the time. But people who are old and have seen times where these words were considered swear and not so cool attitude will find it somewhat disturbing. 

Again it’s Freedom Of Speech as defended by everyone on SM sites. These posts/trends/comments I find very disturbing  to be honest especially those that are used for mocking be it politicians or celebrities. 

Bold: The issue you talked here is very disturbing. Any show or actor fans can't hear any negative thing about their show or actor. Matlab apne favourite actors ke liye kuch bhi kachra dekhenge. I have seen people watching youth shows later watch the most regressive shows just because their favourite actors are in them. Also they support the most vilest characters of their favourite actors okay them. Nowadays many females including the ones ones younger than 10 spam actors posts with dirtiest words. Some months back, an actress from a show video called a troller who turned to be small girl sounding of 10-12 years but she did not show her face on camera. The actress confronted her saying she uses words like 'ch*t*ya' for a woman who may be 10-15 years older to her. This actress and one another actress is frequently trolled and abused by fans of an third actress where these 3 actresses are FLs. There are several other actors and actresses badly abused with even death or rape wishes by girls as young as under 10 and even by married women. Nowadays even child actors are abused badly by show viewers. 

Mocking politicians are fine when they do wrong but if they are abused even if they do no wrong but simply because they are not ones people support is very wrong. It's so wrong when celebrities are abused for their choice of clothes with the excuse of ruining our culture. To abuse karna aur gaaliyan dena sahi culture hai kya? 

Shri_12 thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6

The example that you have mentioned here is the effect of what I had mentioned in my comment. SM works on algorithms that constantly highlight the "trending" phrases. Before SM those words were being said among say a group of friends, they laugh over it and move on. But now a person posts that comment on SM, someone (maybe from another part of world) sees it, agrees with it and reposts it, thus making the comment visible to more audience. The people who disagree with it post their views and people who agree post their views, there starts the clash of fans. And the chain reaction begins, which started as insignificant reaction to national trend.

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

First of all, Arziya, thanks for sharing how you feel. It takes courage to say that one is bothered by foul language. I once asked a longtime member of India Forums not to refer to me with a sexual swear word during a game, and my request was taken as a sign of weakness and an invitation to the whole gang of old friends to pile on. On the other hand, members who have only been here for a few months are generally receptive to suggestions that disability-shaming, misogynistic, or homophobic swear words are not necessary.

I guess that difference exists on all social media. When an echo chamber creates the illusion of collective strength, when people believe that they are not guests but owners of the social medium, they become inured to all kinds of wrongdoing, whether that is abusive language, degrading and obscene content, slander, cyberbullying, stalking, or frivolous boycotting.

I was schooled in Canada. One time, my French teacher took the class to see a movie made in Québec, and she actually apologized to us in a horrified tone for the characters' casual use of gros mots. In contrast, when she showed us a movie from France with juvenile nudity, she just laughed, "Je fais un petit peu de censure ..." as she hit fast-forward. Meanwhile, the books that we read in English class had not only swear words but explicit sex and even gang rape, the teacher showed us a Romeo and Juliet movie with bare buttocks and breasts in sexual situations, and no one thought that any warnings were necessary. This was before "triggers." In spite of the crude language that we were reading, we knew that it was wrong for us to talk that way. We felt embarrassed when the teacher asked us if we thought that Barbara d'Orsey's changing sexual partners made her a fill-in-the-blank. I fumbled for words to make the point that John Donne's use of the word "death" had a sexual connotation. At one point, a girl who had immigrated from Hong Kong admitted that she was disturbed by a passage in La Muerte de Artemio Cruz that was non-stop F-word, and the teacher tried to explain what was lost in translation: ch!ng@d@ is not such a bad word in Mexico.

A few years later, when I met people my age who had been schooled in India, I was surprised that a few of them (men and women equally) swore compulsively at even the slightest disappointment. Even if they asked me how my day was, and I said everything worked on the first try except one lab procedure, they would say only a swear word, as if I had left it out and they needed to prompt me! In Canada, we thought that these words were boorish; in India, you couldn't be modern without using them.

Fast-forward twenty years, and social media have erased this distinction. Now, everybody's speech is influenced by examples from all over the world. Bharata Muni's advice in Nāṭyaśāstra, that performances should be decent enough for a daughter-in-law to watch with her mother-in-law, has become obsolete with everyone watching different content on individual electronic devices. However, in my teaching experience, children are still children. Show them something new, and they will want to learn how it works. They will figure out what part of the available vocabulary they should discard.

Edited by BrhannadaArmour - 1 years ago
Aaishavats thumbnail

Social media has become the most powerful platform nowadays. Everyone is on social media whether it s Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and many more. You can promote negative and positive both things while using these platforms. Even you will find not only adults are using it but also the kids below 10 years. This is very disappointing when parents nowadays do not focus on their kids and what they are doing with their phones. Even though I have found many parents who are proud of their kids when they make reels, they appreciate their school-going kids to make more. Many people and children are in negative body language, anxiety, frustration, and other issues. Kids nowadays have no manner of how to talk with their elder ones or how to respond they are being so rude. It's just destroying our mental health nothing else.