Debate Mansion

Twitter- Burning Mannerisms in name of Freedom of Speech?!

Arziya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 1 years ago

People on twitter know no limits to what is being said by them and their counterparts. Twitter on one hand is freedom of speech, but does freedom of speech give rights to swear and call out on people for little reasons which sometimes is deluded and sometimes false accusations.

Twitter is open for 13 years and older, kids, teenagers, youth reading and typing swear foul languages for anyone and everyone is it acceptable? Does this freedom of speech tag taken for granted and people in India particularly as I follow Indian Trends more than US Trends are going overboard in their language, calling out someone C****ya, M*******d has become so common I mean is this all we give ourselves to learn and speak in name of freedom of speech.

People who were charged for rape are being served laddoos on their release and that's trending on twitter, how far can social media take you to stoop low or raise high, all twitteratis are aware of trends on the platform be it a teenage kid, what effect do they take away from such trends?

On other hand, anything from President to Movies are facing Boycott Trends every now and then, how sensible are those and language used for and in such trends are just not funny anymore. Celebrities are being called out with degraded words, how far have we come in this social media realm.

Have we lost our values and respect for each other, whatever we type is saying in real life be it written or spoken in person both has same context, where does this take our mannerisms? 

Will Twitter be major concern in future and close to ban? Or Twitter culture will take over our values and respect for each other? Twitter is okay and freedom of speech no matter what is being written by members, irrespective of foul languages? Is it time to wake up on these social media limits which has no bars?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vijay thumbnail

I would simply add that why just single out Twitter, there are Youtube creators who made a career by roasting others using choicest abusive language. Even in Cricket matches you can easily lip-read / overhear cricketer using such language during live match on the field. And these people are heroes and role models of today.

In our growing up years we were often told that the way someone speaks can reveal a lot about them, including their socioeconomic status, the environment in which they were raised, their educational background, level of intelligence, emotional intelligence, etiquette, personality, etc. 

I would not say that these words didn't exist back then, but with with the advent of social media / OTT using such slang and abusive words have become mainstream. If you are not using these words you will be perceived weak, boring, or an elitist.

Many times you will see friends addressing each other with such choicest adjectives and feel its "cool". I could never understand how can someone say something like this so casually.

I would not limit this to Hindi words.. even the most "educated" people these days use F word so liberally as if its the coolest word in the dictionary that it feels it probably has lost its potency to hurt other.

Anyways I do not see things changing soon unless ... 

Edited by vijay - 1 years ago
Sutapasima thumbnail

This culture of abuse is not at all new, it’s as old as the history of mankind. In major part of our history, abuse was confined to the dark corners of a street as it was considered a sin to use foul language against another person. However, during the last 15 years, it has become cool to be abusive in our country.

New fashion in Bollywood is - how abusive can you get ? 

The Mid 2000s saw the beginning of it all … to watch n enjoy abuses hurdled onscreen becoming a cool phenomenon. Actually long before that the the glass ceiling was broken. The audiences were shocked when they were exposed to the real dacoity culture and non stigmatised language of Movie Bandit Queen the uncrowned queen of reality in an era when idealism ran rout on the screens was the first movie that came under controversy for characters openly abusing each other. RGV’s 1998 movie Satya and 2012 blockbuster Gangs of Wasseypur also portrayed the same uncensored language in the name of realistic portrayal. 

OTT is an open platform for abusive language

Though Bollywood still does not use foul language in mass due to regulatory oversight, it still promotes it by twisting the words. However, the place vacated by Bollywood has now been taken up by OTT platforms. These platforms which lack effective censorship have been on the rampage when it comes to the display of abusive languages on-screen .

We need a social revolution to bring about a change .

Ghor kalyug 

Ughhh GIF - Ughhh GIFs

Edited by Sutapasima - 1 years ago
Sutapasima thumbnail

The popularity of English and American movies all over the world has increased the use of English swear words in daily life .

No other language uses so many swear words while speaking . 
It has become the new cool and our new generation is growin up n getting used to all this swearing around them. 

The F word has sexual reference and we need tk get rid of the habit ASAP 

Shit means Poo and why do we need to use that word as exclamation ! Are we short for words ? 

Using Bas**** and B*t*h are used to degrade another person equal to a mongrel or illegitimate. This is so humiliating.

To add to this ever since web series were allowed to be aired to public they have become very popular because of the unedited use of abusive language(specially hindi ones), violence /crimes against women and triggering scenes being aired just for the sake of cheap thrills n popularity . 

Not cool at all IMO

Edited by Sutapasima - 1 years ago
Armu4eva thumbnail

In my view there are two different and distinct issues- abusive language and boycott culture.

There is no denying that with the advent of social media, access to slang words and it's usage has increased manifold. However, i believe a lot of it also has to do with social conditioning and values. It is somehow cool to be abusive these days it seems. Quite unfortunate!

However, boycott culture is a different issue. I consider it as an expression of freedom which is what Twitter or most public social media platforms stand for. It is not that big political parties or big celebrities or influencers do not indulge in PR activities to earn goodwill. Similarly, audiences/people at large having an easy way of expression may decide to boycott things. Issue based boycott culture exists across the world and are not limited to Bollywood movies or India alone. As long as the language is respectful, i think every individual has the right to express their views. 

nethraa_99 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Very relevant topic in today's times.

But whatever you have mentioned is not restricted to just twitter - but holds true across all social media platforms.

Social media has become a whole different world - where there are no rules, no etiquettes. People use bad language, personal attacks against other users who have a different view from theirs, troll & harass celebrities & commoners alike. Any thing can suddenly become a virtual battlefield - from petty fan wars to insensitive war of words on burning issues. And the surprising part is - these kinds of online behavioral patterns are not restricted to a few ill-mannered individuals or immature kids - but is endemic to normal, productive adults. And from my observation - there is no sense of awareness about one's actions in the virtual world and that's why social media becomes toxic.

So why do people behave differently on social media? Psychologists often point to the difference between reacting and responding. Let us say one is angry with his/her boss - in the rush of emotions, he/she may type an angry resignation letter and email it to the boss - he/she is reacting. But in the days when there were no emails...the same individual may have to type the same resignation letter in a typewriter & wait till the next morning to either deliver it personally or to post it. But by next morning - the individual may realize his/her impetuosity and try to think of ways to address the issue with the boss - this is responding. Psychologists have warned that social media is making people more & more reactive - any opinion that one dislikes/disagrees with gets an immediate reactionary response - an angry reply or a foul word. The fact that people are not  interacting face to face, makes it easy to lose empathy or to lose perspective that there is a living human at the other end. 

Mental illness related to social media interactions like depression, anxiety & other emotional disorders are becoming common.

And studies do suggest that social media encourages crowd/mob mentality & thinking. A person who may be uncertain or even pro something may totally change their stand due to relentless opinions on social media - not because they are convinced by it after thinking deeply on the presented arguments but because that is what the majority of the users are saying - no matter if the arguments are convoluted or plain falsehood. This has been used by political parties around the globe. Many a leaders have been elected to power based purely on social media campaign - often using misinformation & smear campaigns.  

Freedom of speech is very. very important - and there should be no restriction on expressing opinions & there cannot be any compromise on that. It is an important pillar of democracy. But criticism and abusing are two different things that people must be made aware of.   

It is not to say that social media have no advantages. It does help us get in touch with information  that may otherwise be unavailable to us from our homes, helps us connect to people, make friends. 

Edited by nethraa_99 - 1 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Well you like them or hate them but can't ignore benefits of SM. Use it to give a strong message. 

If we see a problem try to look for solution. 

Boycott or don't reply to trash (it's a strong word. Couldn't find more suitable word for abuses).

Such comments are outcome of no self restrain or just wanting to get noticed quickly. I really wish all SM have a standard coc. People do not interpret freedom of speech as per their own free will. 

At the same time stop taking SM very seriously. Be more active in Real World. The Real life is much more wonderful & exciting then the kick some strong comments posted on SM can provide.

firewings_diya thumbnail

Parents are more responsible for these behaviours i would say. Because they should know where there kids are spending time on. These trends scares me more as I see kids below 18 participating in it which actually takes away lot of their productive time. They are still kids and this is the best time they can improve their skills and knowledge but now a days i only see kids trending some celebrity names or fighting with other fds or boycotting something or fighting with other people who has difference of opinion what is the use of doing all these things will it give them the future. Will they realize how much competitive  future days would be. I really feel bad or pity on them. I hope they will soon realize the importance of time and career. 

Viswasruti thumbnail

What are the responsibilities and liabilities of social media sites ? Rules are there to explain, but who are following? Freedom of speech and expression recently led to some badmouthing of others. It's important to adhere to the various rules that govern communication on social media.

People are dealing on a daily basis with death threats, rape threats, hateful slurs, impersonation, and every other abusive tactic under the sun from unknown persons. We got really fed up. 

For too long, the burden of online abuse has fallen on the shoulders of the people who are on the receiving end of it, and those folks are almost always women, people of color, LGBTQ members, and members of religious and ethnic minorities. 😭  

The F word has become so common that it is used wherever one wants to use emphasis. Youngsters and kids are using this word freely in front of their mothers!

IS IT A WAY OF LETTING OUT FRUSTRATION? A lot of times, when we use the dirty words against others, it might be an indication of our frustration level, bad temper and ill-culture. Abusing or cursing is a bad way to express our anger, desperation or even defeat. This may be still a taboo and certainly considered as a breach of social etiquette. 

Language has gone many phases in human development, along with human emotions.  Expressions are the replicas of the culture, and they present you to the world along with your cultural characteristics. 

Language is a system of communication, normally we use language to express our inner thoughts and

emotions in a flow, make sense of complex and abstract thought, to fulfill our wants and needs, as well as to establish rules and maintain our culture. 

Using F words and swear words is most intentionally offensive. Profanity is a socially offensive use of language, which may also be called cursing, cussing, swearing, or expletives. Accordingly, profanity is  is sometimes deemed impolite, rude, indecent, or culturally offensive, and sin. 

While interacting with individuals in the public media, you should use appropriate language. 

Edited by Viswasruti - 1 years ago
Savera84 thumbnail

More than freedom of speech and putting a point across, I guess, it is the anonymity which is luring youngsters and to some extent some elders to these platforms.  They think it is anonymous and they can say anything.  I don't think they will come together to boycott a movie or a celebrity or a politician if they are asked to boycott in person.  Purely my opinion.

For the use of foul language and R rated scenes, all credit goes to OTT shows. They are freely available on internet without any ratings and restrictions and they are full of this content. Sad state of affairs.  

I don't think these twitteratis use the same language at home or they utter the word boycott at home.  If they do, they will be boycotted.😊

All we can do is show our displeasure if someone uses foul language in front of us.

Cheers..

Edited by Savera84 - 1 years ago