Appreciation post: Songs composed and produced by Biddu

Posted: 1 years ago

So I went down the rabbit hole of checking out a lot of his songs after seeing how many of the popular songs were produced by him. I am going to be highlighting some of them in this post.

From wikipedia: 

"Biddu Appaiah (born 8 February 1944)[1] is a British-Indian singer-songwriter, composer, and music producer – who composed and produced many worldwide hit records during a career spanning five decades.[2][3] Considered one of the pioneers of disco,[3][4] Euro disco,[1] and Indian pop,[2][5] he has sold millions of records worldwide,[3] and has received an Ivor Novello award for his work.[3] He has been ranked at number 34 on NME's "The 50 Greatest Producers Ever" list."

Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas

Following its release, the song did not receive any radio airplay for the first five weeks and sold poorly, but the song began gaining popularity in dance clubs,[3] eventually entering the UK Singles Chart at number 42 on 17 August 1974 and reaching the top on 21 September, where it remained for three weeks.[11] It was then released in the United States, where it quickly topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart.[3] The single went on to sell eleven million records worldwide.In 1974, it received a Gold certification,.[25] Shortly after, Biddu also produced Carl Douglas' debut album Kung Fu Fighting and Other Great Love Songs, which produced another major hit, "Dance The Kung Fu".

I Love To Love- Tina Charles

Charles had already been recording for seven years and had sung lead on the international hit "I'm on Fire" by 5000 Volts (1975), but her contribution was unacknowledged, with Luan Peters cited as vocalist in promotion for the group.It was through a mutual friend, singer Lee Vanderbilt, that Charles met record producer Biddu who encouraged her to record "I Love to Love (But My Baby Loves to Dance)", utilizing Manchester musicians Richie Close (keyboard), Clive Allen (guitar), Des Browne (bass) and Tom Daley (percussion) to create a signature hit sound for Charles.

"I Love to Love..." was an international hit, reaching #1 in Ireland, #2 in France, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal and Sweden while in Austria, Germany and Spain the single peaked at respectively #20, #6 and #3. The track was also a hit in Australia (#6) and New Zealand (#7). In Canada "I Love to Love..." won the Juno for bestselling international single for the year 1976 having sold over 200,000 copies in the province of Quebec.

Aap Jaisa Koi - Qurbani

In the late 1970s, Western disco was getting popular in Asia and particularly in India, where there were not yet any home-bred disco stars. It was this reason that led established Indian filmmaker and actor Feroz Khan to England and to Biddu, in 1979. Khan wanted to introduce a catchy song in his upcoming Hindi filmQurbani, in which the main score of the film was by the Indian music duo, Kalyanji Anandji. Biddu initially was not interested in composing a Hindi film song, but later took it up as he would say years later, "I thought it would keep my mum happy (back home in India)". About the same time Khan happened to come across 15-year-old Nazia Hassan at a party in London. Khan later requested Hassan have an audition with Biddu. Biddu later signed her up for the song he was composing for QurbaniThe song which was recorded in London, was the first Hindi song to be recorded on 24 tracks. In 1980, Qurbani ran to packed houses in India, largely on the weight of "Aap Jaisa Koi" and another number "Laila O Laila". Nazia Hassan became a teenage sensation. "Aap Jaisa Koi" was a hit across the Indian subcontinent.

Disco Deewane- Nazia Hassan

Disco Deewane is a 1981 Pakistani pop album released by Pakistani singer Nazia Hassan.[1] The music was composed by Indian-British music director Biddu who also produced it under the label of HMV India/Saregama. It charted in fourteen countries worldwide and became the best-selling Asian pop record to-date.[3] The debut album led Nazia Hasan to overnight fame. It changed trends in music across South Asia, where it broke sales records. In India, it sold 100,000 records within a day of its release in Mumbai alone, went Platinum within three weeks,[4][5] and went Double-Platinum soon after.[6]

In South Asia, where the music industry was previously dominated by filmi Bollywood soundtracks, Disco Deewaane was the first non-soundtrack album to become a major success across the region, paving the way for the emergence of independent Pakistani and Indian pop music scenes.[3][4] It was also the first South Asian pop album to top the charts in Brazil while also becoming a hit in Russia, South Africa, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Latin America, and a success among the South Asian diaspora in regions such as Canada, the United Kingdom, United States, and West Indies

Boom Boom - Nazia Hassan / Ooe - Ooe - Zoeb Hassan

Star/Boom Boom is the second studio album by Pakistani pop duo Nazia and Zoheb (Nazia Hassan & Zohaib Hassan), released in 1982. The Bollywood film Star used the album's music as its soundtrack.The music was a blend of Eastern and Western music, and the album enjoyed the same success as the duo's previous album Disco Deewane (1981).[5] The album was re-released as Boom Boom in 1984,[5] and was later re-released in 2004.[6] The album, along with several other albums from Biddu and the Hassan duo, contributed to the creation of the Indi-pop market. The title track "Boom Boom" in particular was well received.

Don't Tell Me This is Love - Akina Nakamori

Biddu worked with the popular Japanese idol and J-pop singer Akina Nakamori, for whom he produced "Don't Tell Me This is Love" in 1985.[43] It was included in her 1985 album My Best Thanks, which topped the Japanese chart and sold around 300,000 copies.

Blonde- Akina Nakamori

Blonde topped  TBS music program " The Best Ten " for three consecutive weeks from June 25, 1987 to July 9, 1987. [15 ] In the Oricon weekly single chart , it  recorded the first place for three consecutive weeks between June 15, 1987 and June 29, 1987. Within the top 100 on the chart, it was was ranked in for a total of 17 weeks . In addition, in the Oricon annual single chart in 1987, it recorded the 7th place.

Made in India -  Alisha Chinai

In 1995  Biddu composed and produced Made in India – a dance album for the Hindi pop/film playback singer Alisha Chinai. The album became the best selling Hindi dance album and featured a handful of Western styled videos – a selling point for India's newly launched MTV channel. It topped the Indian chart, where it remained for over a year, and sold over five million copies in India

Disco Deewane - Sagarika / Aisa Hota Hai- Shaan, Sagarika

In 1996, Biddu made a brother-sister duo popular again with Shaan (Shantanu Mukherjee) and Sagarika Mukherjee (Saag), producing the Naujawan album.

Tu- Sonu Nigam

Biddu spent the rest of the 1990s working with a variety of musicians, including the Indian girl-group The Models, South Indian Singer K.S. Chithra, and Sonu Nigam.

Lafzoon Mein - Abhijeet Sawant

Its not listed in Biddu's wikipedia but Biddu is listed in the song credits in the music video

Edited by BubbleTea - 1 years ago

Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas

https://youtu.be/bmfudW7rbG0

Made in India - Alisha Chinai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvloHsmi_vg