Regarding Usernames with special characters - Page 17

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by Havaana

Post that we will automatically update their username removing the special characters and adding numbers if the username already exists 

Vijay sir ðŸ˜Ž

Trolls don't bother Shivaji Satam if they are not rude - Hindustan Times

Originally posted by vijay

Will get this sorted by Tuesday.

Hi Vijay,

My old username is ~Raina~ and I had gotten in touch with you because I couldn’t change it.

Now I have been logged out of my account and couldn’t log in. I’ve had to create a new account but don’t want to lose the old one. I’ve been on the forums for about 17-18 years!!

Please help!!! 

Originally posted by vijay

Around 3 years back we updated our Username policy and requested members to update their username.

Many have migrated but there are few who were unable to do so. We request them once again to update their username by 9th July 2022.

UPDATE:
We are extending the deadline to 16th July 2022 so that more members are able to update username of their choice.

Post that we will automatically update their username removing the special characters and adding numbers if the username already exists.

So for example an username with *vijay* may become vijay_7.

This is being done due for the following reasons:

• To prevent validation errors in the application. 
  • To Fix the issue where users not able to tag another user.
  • Users with Special characters in the username are unable to update their passwords as it shows the message that their username has invalid characters.
  • Allows us to have users profile URL as indiaforums.com/u/vijay

The said issue only affects user who have special characters in their usernames.

You can update your username by going to the Settings Page.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5025509

I have another question about usernames:

• Is it still restricted to ASCII characters, or are Unicode characters in various languages allowed?  Eg can you use विजय ?
  • Are we allowed to use symbols that are part of Unicode character sets e.g. à¿— and ࿘ which are a part of the Tibetan set?  I want to use that w/ my previous name Vrish, since Vrish itself is not available and I had to get rid of .Vrish. due to the rule violations
Originally posted by LiveDaemon

I have another question about usernames:

• Is it still restricted to ASCII characters, or are Unicode characters in various languages allowed?  Eg can you use विजय ?
  • Are we allowed to use symbols that are part of Unicode character sets e.g. à¿— and ࿘ which are a part of the Tibetan set?  I want to use that w/ my previous name Vrish, since Vrish itself is not available and I had to get rid of .Vrish. due to the rule violations

Sorry only ascii characters and that too alphabets and - . _

For a future revision, I'd suggest expanding it to accept anything in the latest Unicode standard, whatever it is at any given time

i think i have good username