Sab Satrangi

Underneath [MaNargi OS] ft. Mauryas

dhun.laagi thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Hello folks! Tannu here. I'm not a regular viewer, but I love this show ❤️

Happy International Family Day 🥳 On that note, writing my first OS on this forum smiley9

It is similar to another story by me, so do not be alarmed if you see it being familiar 😆

The title is from a song that turned up on my playlist ~ Underneath by Jojo 

This is a random AU story based in the SS zone. 

Hope you like it. Would appreciate any criticism and/or feedback smiley9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gargi liked wearing his shirts. When Didi had done the laundry for the day and left it drying on the lines in the basement, she would slip downstairs without making any noise to inspect what shirts of his were newly washed. It was easier to tell coz Mannu had developed his own sense of style. The checked shirt slipped off the line into a mushy pile of fabric on the floor. Gargi snatched it up and pressed her hands against the cotton, the material much more dry than Mannu's other shirts. This would have to do. With excitement, she slipped the checked shirt over her head. She had never worn his  checked shirt before – she felt like a little girl coming across a secret diary. It was forbidden and yet so inviting, and deep down inside Gargi felt that Mannu probably wouldn't care. 

She relished the clean smell of the fabric softener. She loved the way it fell down to just above her knees. She couldn't believe how baggy it was; she could swim in the fabric. Gargi paused, holding the edge of the checked shirt away from her body. Since when had any of his shirts been so large on her? She supposed it was just a coincidence.

Or maybe it was because…Gargi flushed, trying to force her mind in another direction. Maybe his checked shirt was so large because Mannu had gotten larger – but not in the sense that he had grown fat. But it didn't work out exactly like Gargi hoped it would – Scooter rides home became awkward; she would sit behind Mannu, while trying not to glance at him.

He would have his sunglasses on, no matter the temperature, his head tilted towards the mirror as he viewed the outside world. He never said a word to her until they pulled into the driveway; he would pass a comment or two, maybe even a snide remark or joke, and then be off to his room to do who knows what.

Gargi was always left with a feeling of disappointment. Things had changed between them after Mannu had started overworking to ensure the Jai Mata Di tenthouse stays in business; they stopped spending a lot of time together and now they didn't talk much anymore. When Mannu wasn't at the shop, he was in his room, passed out from exhaustion, or with clients or lounging on the couch with Deepu bhaiya and Jiju. When she wasn't doing her own stuff, Gargi was helping Kannu Didi and Pinky Bhabhi around the house or driving Dadi places or on the phone in her room or on the phone trying to coordinate on her dad’s business. They didn't seem to fit into each other's lives anymore.

A sad feeling wound its way around Gargi's heart; she bit her lower lip and tried to push it away, but she couldn't deny what was true. They had become strangers in their own home, sharing no more than a few quick glances that always left Gargi's heart pounding and Mannu apathetic. Perhaps one of the reasons why she pulled away from her ‘husband’ was – and she hated admitting it, because even though they were married, it was supposed to be wrong – the feelings she was developing for him. Gargi didn't quite have a "crush" on Mannu – but it was heading there and the sight of his form didn't make anything better.

She heard footsteps on the wooden floor above her head. "Bhabhi?" 

Shikha’s voice drifted through the open cellar door; shaking thoughts from her head, Gargi sprinted up the staircase and came face-to-face her other sister-in-law.

"Why are you wearing Mannu's checked shirt?" 

Kannu Di asked, eyeing her SIL with curiosity and mischief glinting in her brown orbs. 

Gargi chose to ignore her pointed comment and decided to ask Shikha.

"Woah! You seemed pretty dressed up! You going out?" she asked.

"Tonight is my college reunion," Shikha replied.

"We’ll all also be gone for a few hours, there is a wedding to attend, but since Mannu is not coming. I left dinner in the microwave. There should be enough for you and Mannu, if he comes home for dinner and you want to wait here."

"If?" Her confusion was not mixing well with the quickened speed of her heart. 

"Why wouldn't he be coming home?"

"He might go out with his clients!" 

Pinki Bhabhi interjected. Kannu Di closed her mouth, raising her eyebrows at her interruption.

"Oh. Well, fine then. Go have fun and I'll eat dinner and enjoy having the house to myself for once. Thanks."

"Lucky,"  Deepu Bhaiya muttered under her breath. Gargi shot her a grin.

The front door closed with a slam and Gargi stood still, listening to the distant ticking of the upstairs clock. It was very rare these days that she got to enjoy an empty house. The clock struck eight thirty and an empty tummy prompted Gargi to eat.

Hot air rushed out at her face as she opened the microwave door. Gargi smiled. It was her favourite food. She loved how much they made her feel like a part of their family. Placing a mitt on her hand, Gargi grabbed the dish and placed it in a container to put on the stove. It will heat much better this way. She cast a forlorn look into the dining room with its seven empty seats before retrieving silverware, a plate, and a glass of coffee and then sitting on the stool.

A key turned in the lock and she stopped, a piece half-way to her mouth. Footsteps echoed on the wood floor, a thump similar to that of a bag was dropped somewhere near the door, and then Mannu's figure filled the entranceway to the kitchen. He leaned against the doorway, whipping his forehead with the bottom of his t-shirt, the expression on his face tired. His dark eyes scanned her face and then their surroundings as he shifted onto his other leg and dug his hand into his pockets.

Nothing was said, and then –

"Thanks for NOT waiting."

Gargi shot him a look and put her fork down. 

"Well, your family  said you weren't coming home."

He inched his wave over to the cabinets to get his own plate. 

"Everyone's too tired to go out. We're going to wait until after Saturday when the deal is closed." 

He fished through the drawer for a spoon. 

"You willing to come for that lunch too?"

"Maybe."

Silence fell over the kitchen following her one-word response. Mannu sat across from her, scooped himself the same food, and dug in. He made a face upon realising it was Gargi’s favourite, but he said nothing and continued to chew quietly. Gargi finished her meal, glancing subtly at Mannu every few seconds. Once finished she took her dish to the sink and began to wash it. She was digging threw her mind for something to say that would cut the almost-tangible silence when an odd sensation sent a chill up her spine.

Gargi glanced over her shoulder. Mannu's dark eyes were on her.

She flushed, pushing a strand of her light brown hair behind her ear. 

"Yeah?" she asked. "Something up?"

Mannu titled his head to the side, chewing his food thoughtfully.

"You look like you fell out of the 80s or something."

Confusion washed momentarily over Gargi until she put her hands on her hips and recalled that she was wearing track pants and his checked shirt. 

"What do you know about pop culture?"

"Not much." 

He stood, bringing his plate to the sink. He glanced down at her; she went a darker shade of red under his stare. 

"You look cute in my checked shirt." 

The plate clinked against the sink and Mannu turned, lumbering off in the direction of the couch.

Her heart soaring, Gargi rushed to finish washing the dishes. Mind full of ideas sparked by Mannu's compliment, she raced into the den. Mannu was sprawled on the couch, his eyes staring blandly at some stupid reality show on the television. She yanked the remote from his hand and shut off the television; Mannu blinked lethargically and turned his head to look at her, his eyebrows raised.

"What did you do that for?"

Gargi blanked for a second. 

"Um…well, I thought…maybe we could do something fun. Together."

Mannu's eyebrows went higher as he shifted into a sitting position. 

"We do stuff together all the time."

"No we don't." 

She paused, gathering her courage. 

"Not anymore. We don't even really talk anymore, Mannu. You could at least give me an hour or something."

"We do talk." 

Mannu's expression was a mixture of confusion and mild annoyance. 

"Why don't you think we talk anymore?"

"Because we don't. You don't make time for me anymore. I know you always go out with your clients all the time to network. You could ask me if I want to go out with you once-in-a-while on your own, instead of in a group!"

Mannu had managed to keep an apathetic reaction to her mini-rant, but her mentioning of her desire to go out with him made his eyebrows furrow. He opened and closed his mouth several times, keeping his eyes away from her before muttering, in a low voice, 

"You don't want to hang out with me."

"Really? How come?"

"Because. It's nothing bad…you'd probably like it, but…I don't, and…just no. Look, I'm sorry if I've been distant lately. Let's do something."

She wasn't sure what to make of what Mannu had said. It was half a compliment. But something about the way he had said he disapproved of it bothered her. She wasn't sure what to think of it – she knew what she wanted to think of it, but she figured she was probably very off. 

"Alright. What should we do?"

Mannu shrugged. 

"T.V., video games, TT, an actual board game…"

"That'll work!" Gargi exclaimed. 

"Anything you want to play in particular?"

Mannu shook his head and she turned, rushing up the stairs. She saw the shelf in the room where stacks of games that she hadn't even seen in years greeted her with familiarity as she began to scan the titles, trying to decided what would be best as a two-player game.

The door clicked closed behind her. Gargi let out a low shriek as she turned around to find herself face-to-face with Mannu's chest. He shushed her, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. The whites of his eyes stood out with a light glow and, as always, they were apathetic. Gargi wanted to questions his motives – she thought she could guess what he was going to do, but she didn't want to believe it. When he kissed her cheek, there wasn't an electric jolt. But she felt her knees go weak. Her back pushed against Scrabble and Monopoly and Clue. Mannu pulled back. She tried to catch her breath – she had never felt so winded in her life. 

Without a word, he turned, light streaming, as he stepped through the frame. 

Glancing back at her, Mannu gave Gargi the smallest smile and said,

"I need that back for Saturday, but once that’s done you can wear it all you want. My checked shirt really does look good on you." 

She tried to think of something to say, but her mind wasn't functioning properly and the grin on her face was so large that she figured she should just remain silent. Nodding furiously, Gargi grabbed the chess set off of the lower shelf and raced after Mannu.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnOEZzkzyCQ

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rbpll thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

It's beautiful❤️

Do write such os...I would love to read....as this forum has no activity at all. 

dhun.laagi thumbnail
Originally posted by: rbpll

It's beautiful❤️

Do write such os...I would love to read....as this forum has no activity at all. 

Thank You for reading and the wonderful comment😳

LauraM thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Hello Tannu, thank you for the first OS on this forum👍🏼

It's really nice and interesting, circumstances in your story are a little bit different than in the show - so I read twice to "change the settings" in my imagination. 😆

I would love to see Gargi (in the show) wearing Mannu's shirt, and how he would react to it. 

dhun.laagi thumbnail
Originally posted by: LauraM

Hello Tannu, thank you for the first OS on this forum👍🏼

It's really nice and interesting, circumstances in your story are a little bit different than in the show - so I read twice to "change the settings" in my imagination. 😆

I would love to see Gargi (in the show) wearing Mannu's shirt, and how he would react to it. 

Thanks for reading and the wonderful comment! Yes, they are a little more comfy than in the show 😛

I would love to see them using this to make Shweta jealous too 😆

It is a shame that SAB TV does not recognise the worth of this gem and is closing the show down 🥺

Lets hope we get a proper end.