Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

---

Edited by BettyA1 - 1 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: The_Best

But why are people looked down upon if they can’t speak English? It’s not even Indians’ mother tongue language. 

Are they looked down? 

Maybe they're considered not educated enough?

Also desis need some excuse to look down on fellow desis and other humans in general...

Bold - It's one of the official languages of India and I think some communities like Anglo-Indian, some Parsis speak English at home

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

But why are people looked down upon if they can’t speak English? It’s not even Indians’ mother tongue language. 

Because the people who look down on others if they can't speak English are douchebags....there is no other explanation..

The_Best thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Are they looked down? 

Maybe they're considered not educated enough?

Also desis need some excuse to look down on fellow desis and other humans in general...

Bold - It's one of the official languages of India and I think some communities like Anglo-Indian, some Parsis speak English at home

Yes they are. I find it ridiculous. India has so many mother tongue language but out all they chose English as one of the official language? That explains why some feel the need to insult others if they don’t know English. 

TotalBetty thumbnail

Yes they are. I find it ridiculous. India has so many mother tongue language but out all they chose English as one of the official language? That explains why some feel the need to insult others if they don’t know English. 

Why is it ridiculous? 

So many states, so many languages... There was opposition from Southern states to the use of Hindi, so English emerged as the de facto lingua franca

English has been the language for governance, business etc as the result of colonial rule

So English, along with Hindi, is one of the two languages permitted in the Constitution of India for business in Parliament. 

May not be ideal...But convenient 

Now it's helping us communicate in India Forums

We're criticizing the usage of English in English :)

Edit: Criticizing someone for not knowing English is unnecessary unless they're English teachers or News Readers in English

Making a mistake in English while speaking or writing can happen to anyone, even native speakers... I find people who're not so proficient in English are also touchy and sensitive about it.... Why? It's no different than making a mistake in any other language.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Because English is the connecting language. Blame colonialism, but it did turn into a language the babus in most states knew and could communicate in.

Also around the same time, it became the dominant language of commerce around the world.

It frankly would've been ridiculous NOT to make English an official language in India. It gave educated Indians an advantage in the world. It also made sure Indians speaking different languages could compete and conduct business with each other on equal footing rather than finding oneself at a disadvantage compared to a native Hindi speaker. 

And if anyone had tried to impose Hindi on the southern states at the time of independence, they might have found themselves without any India south of the Vindhyas. I can tell you Malayalis learn Hindi in school, but most of us prefer our own language first and feel more comfortable in English than in Hindi any day.

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Why is it ridiculous? 

So many states, so many languages... There was opposition from Southern states to the use of Hindi, so English emerged as the de facto lingua franca

English has been the language for governance, business etc as the result of colonial rule

So English, along with Hindi, is one of the two languages permitted in the Constitution of India for business in Parliament. 

May not be ideal...But convenient 

Now it's helping us communicate in India Forums

We're criticizing the usage of English in English :)

Edit: Criticizing someone for not knowing English is unnecessary unless they're English teachers or News Readers in English

Making a mistake in English while speaking or writing can happen to anyone, even native speakers... I find people who're not so proficient in English are also touchy and sensitive about it.... Why? It's no different than making a mistake in any other language.

Language should always be about convenience and practicality...what works best for everyone...what will help our kids grow...the fact is that English is more or less a universal language...it binds everyone.....I am not saying to disrespect your mother tongue....I am just saying being practical is also very important....and like I said people who make fun of those who can't speak English properly are douchebags.....but if we leave that aside....English is the binding language for India and the world..

aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Why should Sanskrit be our national language?Sanskrit is the language of Aryans. Dravidians and Protodravidians  existed on this sub continent long time before Aryans came to this land.

If one needs an ancient language as a national it should be of Dravidian origin

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

The all knowing turd, Kangs, has spoken

End of discussion 

MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Ajay who played football with her suddenly becomes Ajayji 😆she knows Ajay is well connected and is nothing like Hrithik to get harassed by her.