Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

Honestly I don't know much about these designer things and stuff but isn't it the said designer's prerogative to give his/her clothes to whosoever they want to? It's business at the end of the day. And did she want it for free? I mean why would any designer refuse her a dress if she is willing to pay ðŸ¤”

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Yami was asked about it, and she answered about how she felt. And she didn't bashed everyone with names, just that there were some exception.

I think utna toh uska huk banta hain. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail

Also if we read the article, Yami was asked why she didn't wore a designer cloth on her marriage, she replied she had previous incidents with designers refusing her, so she had decided that when she will marry she will not contact any designer but go with her mom's saree. She also said she doesn't have problem with designers in general, but few of them being snotty and mean made her come with the decision.

I think that is a fair and valid point.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Yami is not unique here. 

Designers are notoriously fickle and finicky. There are mainstream Hollywood celebrities who have had to wear off-the-rack stuff because they were overweight or put on weight due to pregnancy or other reasons and people refuse to style them. Many black and poc celebrities have also been discriminated against because designers don't want to design for their skin tone. And yes, many designers across the world refuse to style lesser-known faces as they believe it will dilute their brand. 

So yes, while it can be upsetting and hurtful and Yami has every right to call it out - I hope she and all others know that it is not only a Bollywood industry insider/outsider thing but also the toxic nature of the global fashion industry. 

*edits underlined. I don't intend to dismiss the insider-outsider challenge in Bollywood. But I also want to point out that it is not the only factor and the fashion industry uses many reasons to deny folks. 

Edited by return_to_hades - 2 years ago
Ur-Miserable thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Yami is not unique here. 

Designers are notoriously fickle and finicky. There are mainstream Hollywood celebrities who have had to wear off-the-rack stuff because they were overweight or put on weight due to pregnancy or other reasons and people refuse to style them. Many black and poc celebrities have also been discriminated against because designers don't want to design for their skin tone. And yes, many designers across the world refuse to style lesser-known faces as they believe it will dilute their brand. 

So yes, while it can be upsetting and hurtful and Yami has every right to call it out - I hope she and all others know that it is not a Bollywood industry insider/outsider thing but the toxic nature of the global fashion industry. 

But problem is in BW it is indeed an insider outsider thing. And we would be blind not to acknowledge that.

While I never side with the rabid BW hating idiots in social media, but we cannot also over look that insiders in BW are toxic and enjoy making fun of outsiders.

CriticusExpert thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Did she ask for the garment to be given to her FREE and the designer said no?  Otherwise it makes no sense no sense at all that any one who is in the business of selling garments would not sell it to a person who will give it exposure, regardless of fame stature.  Designers make garments for anyone that can pay, if they design for only very famous people they would be out of business fast. In particular because those very famous people usually get the garments for free, so the designer can gain attention.  Fashion is a convoluted circle wrapped in gossamer and glitter. But money wins...every time.

The designer would have to be making a political statement or a statement then everyone would have heard from the designer not from the customer.  This sounds like hogwash to me and just another "poor me" card use from Yami who is showing another side of her persona.  She is sounding bitter and unhappy...me wonders why?

colossial2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: MowPow

I am aghast at how yami is looked down upon as a B lister and undeserving of MM brand of clothing despite giving many hits and blockbusters and despite being in the industry for so long whereas likes of ananya and shanaya are considered elites already.

I feel sorry for yami the way people supported the discrimination against her so brazenly. I wish to see their reaction if something of the sort were to happen to them. I am sure they would be offended but here they are shamelessly enjoying and favoring class divide. 

Well, karma spares no one!. What goes around comes around. Hope they remember that!

Yami wanted a free garnament. The designer or company has its descrition to decide who gets freebies. There is nothing called karma here.