Unpopular opinion: Akshay Kumar is a decent actor

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

I think all his performances are competent, even in mindlessly mediocre films he delivers. Unlike a certain Mr. Khan, who I am equating with him in terms of choosing films that cater to the lowest common denominator, Akshay is good even in bad films.

I REALLY liked his performances in Baby, Rustom, and Mission Mangal. Though Vidya stole the show in MM, Akshay Kumar was pretty good as well. I think his potential is untapped, and that's probably because he cares more for commercial than critical success.

Also, he has GREAT comic timing. Bhool Bhulaiya(2007) is the perfect example of this.

Thoughts??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

He is great with comedy movies (probably the best Bollywood actor in that genre) but that's about it.

His "serious" movies have him playing the same character again and again with zero effort (since he just makes as many movies as possible) and it just gets repetitive. His best performance in the last few years is probably Airlift, felt like he really tried there

Sashay01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 3

I agree- he's quite funny in comedies and his timing is excellent. He gets tripped up in dramas because of his dialogue delivery but overall pretty watchable in lighter toned movies. He makes the material better.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

What does this say about the films who us “lowest fans” aren’t fans of 😆

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

You have to possess some talent, be somewhat decent, Kumar or Khan, to last this long in the field, don't you think...

It's not like some Kjo was supporting them and blocking everybody else from entering the field...

Edited by BettyA1 - 2 years ago
johnnykurian thumbnail

I'm increasingly starting to realise Bollywood movie watchers got so used to overacting that they don't know what acting is. He is good in comedy movies where you are required to make funny faces butt that is about his range. Rest of the movies like Airlift and Rustom was him just showing a monotone face and it worked because those characters were written that way. Essentially he set the bar so low that people go "ohh look at him pulling a serious face we have never seen him do. He is a wonderful actor". His best work is probably Airlift. But I'm a fan because he knows his limitation and do what's best for him.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

That is a popular opinion tbh. Unpopular would have been if you thought he was a great actor.

Akshay's issue has always been his voice modulation and dailogues delivery during sad scenes which sucks. His expression has always been good.

NathuPyare thumbnail

He's good in comedy roles but just so so (at the most) in other roles... Kaam chalau type.

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Hmm don’t think it’s unpopular opinion. Is it? 

Be it action or comedy. I think he is the most versatile one among his contemporaries. 

liberiangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: NathuPyare

He's good in comedy roles but just so so (at the most) in other roles... Kaam chalau type.

@bold:  Perfect way to describe his work.

He's neither bad nor great.  Kaam chalau types.