Who was female Kumar Sanu in 90's? Alka Vs Anuradha?

khan.baba thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Kumar sanu was over used in early 90's even singer like udit narayan, abhijeet got a chance after 1995 when kumar sanu hangover came to decline so was the female kumar sanu during early 90-95, was it anuradha paudwal or alka yagnik who had seen the monopoly like sanu ? 

Kumar Sanu Live Performance, Dubai - Tum Dil Ki Dhadkan Mein - Purani  Yaadein - YouTube

Edited by Arsalan_khan - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Festival thumbnail

Sonu Nigam was the female Kumar Sanu in 90s

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I find it disgusting when I see women being described as a "Lady Amitabh" or "Female Kumar Sanu" like wtf. 🤡

Do we ever hear "The Male Madhuri" or "Who was the Male Katrina Kaif".. 

I wish Zee TV would announce their Best Actor as "Best Actress-Male" that would make me laugh though 🤪

hbkrocks thumbnail

Sonu Nigam

No matter what you ask only Sonu names comes to my mind after I see you UN.

altgr thumbnail

Definitely Alka Yagnik.

khan.baba thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rekha_ji

I find it disgusting when I see women being described as a "Lady Amitabh" or "Female Kumar Sanu" like wtf. 🤡

Do we ever hear "The Male Madhuri" or "Who was the Male Katrina Kaif".. 

I wish Zee TV would announce their Best Actor as "Best Actress-Male" that would make me laugh though 🤪

my intention were not to create discrimination i mean we know kumar sanu got a monopoly in early 90's 90-95 period which was not the case with when udit was in peak or sonu was in peak they have followed the healthy competition while at one point kumar sanu used to get nomination against his own songs rather than others 😉 so in that context i asked that who was that female singer who has seen such peak  , 

Rekha_ji thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arsalan_khan

my intention were not to create discrimination i mean we know kumar sanu got a monopoly in early 90's 90-95 period which was not the case with when udit was in peak or sonu was in peak they have followed the healthy competition while at one point kumar sanu used to get nomination against his own songs rather than others 😉 so in that context i asked that who was that female singer who has seen such peak  , 

I don't think you meant to be mean. We have all been brought up in a world where this bias is ingrained and we don't think about it. But I feel it's important to point it out when I see it. ☺️

Also, again, I have an issue with the use of the word "monopoly" here. Just because Kumar Sanu was super duper popular especially from 1990-1995, it doesn't necessarily mean that he had a monopoly. Udit Narayan was very successful during this period. Abhijeet was there too.There was/is something incredibly special about Kumar Sanu's voice which made him crazily popular with music fans, and specifically coupled with Nadeem-Shravan's compositions amongst others, it was a match made in heaven.

If we want to talk about monopolies then we could look at Lata Mangeshkar and her sister Asha Bhosle.

Or in the 90s, Anuradha Paudwal actually "stole" songs from Alka Yagnik. She re-recorded her songs from Dil (and who know how many others) all because she had a close relationship with the producers. And today, the same company, T-Series pushes their daughter Tulsi Kumar into songs which are outside her capabilities. That's the real debate.

khan.baba thumbnail

I don't think you meant to be mean. We have all been brought up in a world where this bias is ingrained and we don't think about it. But I feel it's important to point it out when I see it. ☺️

Also, again, I have an issue with the use of the word "monopoly" here. Just because Kumar Sanu was super duper popular especially from 1990-1995, it doesn't necessarily mean that he had a monopoly. Udit Narayan was very successful during this period. Abhijeet was there too.There was/is something incredibly special about Kumar Sanu's voice which made him crazily popular with music fans, and specifically coupled with Nadeem-Shravan's compositions amongst others, it was a match made in heaven.

If we want to talk about monopolies then we could look at Lata Mangeshkar and her sister Asha Bhosle.

Or in the 90s, Anuradha Paudwal actually "stole" songs from Alka Yagnik. She re-recorded her songs from Dil (and who know how many others) all because she had a close relationship with the producers. And today, the same company, T-Series pushes their daughter Tulsi Kumar into songs which are outside her capabilities. That's the real debate.

indeed that actually was not the full monopoly but yeah udit narayan and abhijeet got more importance in mid 90's , udit started in 89 but was sidelinded by kumar sanu for few years same with abhijeet , they shined somewhere around mid 95 and when kumar sanu faced a tough competition and got faded out as soon as 2000 came and nadeem shravan too suffered gulshan kumar death so by then sonu was in his rising time and upto 2000 he replaced kumar sanu as in mainstream though udit was even then popular during sonu peak days too and by then kk and shaan were also emerging as a new phenomena , kumar sanu has seen the peak quite early and saw the downfall early too but those 5 years of 90-95 he was a competition to himself while other used to sing too including sp bala but i saw a nomination where kumar was nominated agaisnt kumar 😉 so i am talking about the female singer portion of 1990-95 ,,

oh anuradha really had done such things🤔 , but i have heard alka yagnik version of mujey neend na aye , it doesnt have same impact as anuradha version had her voice get too shirll while saying mujy neend na aye this one 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZ3qaG6oPY

Edited by Arsalan_khan - 2 years ago
Rekha_ji thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arsalan_khan

indeed that actually was not the full monopoly but yeah udit narayan and abhijeet got more importance in mid 90's , udit started in 89 but was sidelinded by kumar sanu for few years same with abhijeet , they shined somewhere around mid 95 and when kumar sanu faced a tough competition and got faded out as soon as 2000 came and nadeem shravan too suffered gulshan kumar death so by then sonu was in his rising time and upto 2000 he replaced kumar sanu as in mainstream though udit was even then popular during sonu peak days too and by then kk and shaan were also emerging as a new phenomena , kumar sanu has seen the peak quite early and saw the downfall early too but those 5 years of 90-95 he was a competition to himself while other used to sing too including sp bala but i saw a nomination where kumar was nominated agaisnt kumar 😉 so i am talking about the female singer portion of 1990-95 ,,

oh anuradha really had done such things🤔 , but i have heard alka yagnik version of mujey neend na aye , it doesnt have same impact as anuradha version had her voice get too shirll while saying mujy neend na aye this one 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZ3qaG6oPY

I totally agree with your point about "Mujhe Neend Na Aaye". I love Alka much much more, but Anuradha's voice in that song is 1,000% heavenly. Although I do wonder if out ears have a bias because we are so familiar with the original. Also, not to mention, it is in my Top 10 Favourite Songs Of All-Time  (and... the Alka recording is of very low quality so this makes it less much favourable too, even Udit's vocals on this version sound d-e-a-d).

Coming back to Kumar Sanu's perceived "monopoly", I still strongly disagree that it existed, because according to the definition of the word for it to be true would mean that all his competitors were positively excluded, which simply was not the case.

Udit Narayan was very popular and had countless big hits from 1990-1995, some examples: Mujhe Neend Na Aaye (Dil), Dhak Dhak (Beta), Jade Teri Nazar (Darr), Tu Cheez Badi (Mohra), Mehndi Lagake Rakhna (DDLJ). There was plenty of space for all male vocalists in that era. Kumar just happened to be #1.

While it may be very true like you said that Kumar's popularity waned towards the end of the 90s, and Udit shined his brightest from late mid 90s to mid-00s... how are the two related is an interesting question... but I will say is that music styles do gradually alter every few years and the market craves a "fresher" sounding voice. 5 straight years of Kumar's crooning overdosed the audience somewhat perhaps?

I'm curious to know if you have an opinion on the reason for Kumar Sanu's "downfall" - as I am not aware if there were issues with record companies? Or was it simply to do with the decline of Nadeem-Shravan having a domino effect?

Another interesting tidbit in this saga is the fact that Kumar's song was recreated with Udit Narayan in Dil To Pagal Hai. I'm not sure, but I think I heard him saying that there were other songs too that he was supposed to sing for the album, here's an early version of the song "Pyar Kar"... it's actually pretty lovely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHy6f81oix8

khan.baba thumbnail

I totally agree with your point about "Mujhe Neend Na Aaye". I love Alka much much more, but Anuradha's voice in that song is 1,000% heavenly. Although I do wonder if out ears have a bias because we are so familiar with the original. Also, not to mention, it is in my Top 10 Favourite Songs Of All-Time  (and... the Alka recording is of very low quality so this makes it less much favourable too, even Udit's vocals on this version sound d-e-a-d).

Coming back to Kumar Sanu's perceived "monopoly", I still strongly disagree that it existed, because according to the definition of the word for it to be true would mean that all his competitors were positively excluded, which simply was not the case.

Udit Narayan was very popular and had countless big hits from 1990-1995, some examples: Mujhe Neend Na Aaye (Dil), Dhak Dhak (Beta), Jade Teri Nazar (Darr), Tu Cheez Badi (Mohra), Mehndi Lagake Rakhna (DDLJ). There was plenty of space for all male vocalists in that era. Kumar just happened to be #1.

While it may be very true like you said that Kumar's popularity waned towards the end of the 90s, and Udit shined his brightest from late mid 90s to mid-00s... how are the two related is an interesting question... but I will say is that music styles do gradually alter every few years and the market craves a "fresher" sounding voice. 5 straight years of Kumar's crooning overdosed the audience somewhat perhaps?

I'm curious to know if you have an opinion on the reason for Kumar Sanu's "downfall" - as I am not aware if there were issues with record companies? Or was it simply to do with the decline of Nadeem-Shravan having a domino effect?

Another interesting tidbit in this saga is the fact that Kumar's song was recreated with Udit Narayan in Dil To Pagal Hai. I'm not sure, but I think I heard him saying that there were other songs too that he was supposed to sing for the album, here's an early version of the song "Pyar Kar"... it's actually pretty lovely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHy6f81oix8

you said better that others were there too but kumar was at the top of the game , i know regarding dil to pagal hai song of kumar sanu but i seriously didnt liked that , the song which was used instead of this was chand ne kuch kaha pyar kar that is a great song , regarding kumar sanu downfall i was reading somewhere that he was very arrogant during his peak sucess went to his head and he use to consider himself something superior, then he had issues with yash chopra and that is the reason yash chopra never used him after ddlj and with rehman too , but i guess the main reason for kumar sanu downfall was due to change of music , when rehman came in he changed the game entirely for bollywood with new sounds and arrangemnets, kumar sanu got a very monotonous sound to his voice , kumar sanu was a top singer in his peak career wise but he was never really that great of a singer, probably technically weak had less vocal range and very limited variations, he was used mainly for simple easy songs, but by the time rehman came in he used to make complex songs composition wise , i can not expect kumar sanu to render a saathiya or satrange re or mera rang de basanti chola from the legend of bhagat singh as he dont have that flexible vocals to suite such songs so for changing times there were better substitutes like sonu nigam who was one of the top singer of his 2000 era and also kk they got better ranges and voice modulations so kumar sanu had to go, but till nadeem shravan were taking breath they kept on using kumar sanu in 2000 as well, but shanu never had much to his singing then doing his hey hey hey and la la la thing which he used to do in his peak days too , 

if we compare these 90's singers to m rafi and kishore kumar era particularly on songs selection then very few would have done something like they did in their career one is sonu nigam who kept on doing different kinds of songs kept on challanging his range and his singing and was never struck to one hey hey la la la kind of zone singing , and the other singer whom i found immensely talented was vinod rathod that guy never got the due he should have gotten 

this song alone tell the greatness of sonu and vinod dimension as singers 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQWQaOnGn4