Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Supari_khala thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

To be fair, skinny fat is more of a problem in India.

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

This reminds me of Priya and Sai's marathi movie around the same topic. Is this a remake or something. Idk why, but Sonakshi looks cute🥰

NotAMuggle thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Obesity is a complex issue at the intersection of physical and mental health. Fat shaming has no care for either. Body positivity is about making people feel good about their bodies. Being overweight or having certain indulgences like junk food does not reduce someone's worth as a person. Body positivity is not about glorifying those indulgences but making sure all people are still treated with dignity and kindness. 

The health concerns you mentioned may be caused or exacerbated by obesity but are not exclusive to obese people. Anyone can have them. It is important to break the myth that only fat people are unhealthy. Health issues can be caused by a number of factors and not just junk food and sugary drinks. People who do indulge in a lot of unhealthy food can still be healthy with exercise and an overall balanced diet. People who seemingly eat only healthy food can be unhealthy due to genetics or poor overall balance. 

If someone does have a health concern fat-shaming is not going to help them get healthy. In fact, it can lead people further into depression and anxiety that is unhealthy. People may lose weight but develop eating disorders too that can be deadly. A discussion about health is better left between an individual and their doctor. And it can be addressed without reference to someone's weight. If someone has high cholesterol - the doctor may recommend a prescription medication along with some dietary changes and daily walking. The person may lose weight as part of the process of treating their condition - but the weight is not a central factor. Keeping weight out of the conversation also prevents people from letting their struggles with weight impact their ability to care for themselves. 

And I've barely addressed other issues like access to healthcare, access to nutritious food, affordability of nutritious food, access to dieticians, access to exercise equipment, affordability of workout gear, time to cook or workout. People who work multiple jobs to make ends meet and are compelled to eat only junk food due to cost and ease will remain unhealthy and obese through no fault of their own. People without proper healthcare or access to information about making healthy lifestyle choices or support for their mental well being will remain unhealthy and obese through no fault of their own. 

Have you watched this particular teaser? If not, please do. And then read my last post on page 2.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: NotAMuggle

Have you watched this particular teaser? If not, please do. And then read my last post on page 2.

Yes. 

I hadn't read your post. I did go back and read it. It doesn't change what I originally posted. 

There is nothing wrong with people being their honest whole selves vices and all. The only problem I have within your examples is fairness creams is because it stems from racist notions and colorism. That being said if vanity and self-image are a part of a character's persona - I see no harm in it - Rachel Green in Friends. Ruby Matthews in Sex Education, Cher in Clueless are just some vain characters that I enjoyed and the scripts did good jobs of fleshing them out. Just because a character indulges in burgers and sodas at the end of a clip doesn't mean that's their whole personality. 

NotAMuggle thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Never mind😊

Edited by NotAMuggle - 2 years ago
Sevenstreaks thumbnail

Mahat Raghavendra ? Tamil BB season 2 contestant ? Lol  

Huma and Sonakshi look cute 

Edited by Sevenstreaks - 2 years ago

Look at how fat Americans are now because no one really questions their eating habits. Just a few decades ago most people were fit and healthy, now the number of fat people is only rising

Do people really want that shit in India just so no one feels insulted? 

Edited by Journey95 - 2 years ago
theBoyWonder thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4

are huma and sonakshi going to hit the gym to lose all the weight they gained for this movie or make a statement by being the way they are...? 

Edited by theBoyWonder - 2 years ago
pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Let’s get some things straight 

Fit people who don’t fit into size 0, 1,2 …have broad hips/ broad shoulders, are pear shaped, have a heavier chest or even completely lack curves....that is where acceptance is required to accept all body types …proportions are not entirely something that is in our hands and can be changed only to a certain extent....but they all look attractive if they are healthy and happy

This is where we need acceptance …

People who are not fit, find it difficult to do their day to day activities, huff and pant at the slightest level of activity…have mental health issues like eating disorders, look at food for comfort …need to be motivated and counselled to make healthy choices for their life …not shamed for being fat or anorexic

This is where we need empathy not rejection or shaming 

In neither cases is fat shaming ok…and neither is leading an unhealthy lifestyle that impacts ur physical , mental health and those around u…

And people tend to decide how healthy they wanna be..some ppl are ok with indulging once a week…some are stricter with their diet and excercise …some like yoga and some like gym 

As long as they are happy and not troubled by their physical or mental health…it’s ok…

Edited by pathaka - 2 years ago