Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NotAMuggle thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Maraka_Musso89

Some plus-size persons are healthier than some skinny people.

Also being seize doesn't necessarily mean their health is at risk. No every plus-size people are morbidly obese. 

That I agree with. Everyone's body type is different. Some people have broad structure & looks overweight, rather actually being overweight. In case of extra fat too, it mostly depends on from where did the extra fat in your body originate. If it's normal fat, coming from your regular diet that's okay I think.

But fats accumulated from junk/processed foods, sugary drinks.... they are problematic.

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: NotAMuggle

Don't read too much in between the lines & twist everything. I did say fat shaming is bad. I am not supporting fat shaming or justifying it 

I was talking about the way this teaser has represented the idea of being fat by showing them munching on burgers & sipping on sodas pretending that it's cool. In the end scene, Huma is gobbling down a burger & Sonakshi is sipping on cold drinks & they are laughing over it. That IS bad! Viewers, mostly the ones who are suffering from obesity & were trying to control it, might get the idea that it's okay to not cut down on junks, it's okay to eat unhealthy stuffs since who cares whether I get fat! I was talking about the probability of passing off such a dangerous message.

Why is burger and cold drink bad? There are many movies where actors are shown eating burgers or gulping down drinks - have never seen this kind of policing for them. Only because they are thin? This is exactly the problem with veiled fat-shaming. We pretend to suddenly care about someone's health so much, but actually we don't really care. We just love picking on people and pointing fingers at others.

Many people smoke/drink etc. That is also bad for health. I have never seen anyone shame them for that. Rather it is perceived to be cool and edgy.

I am glad to see to plus-sized women unapologetically be themselves on-screen. Hope the film lives up to expectations.

Festival thumbnail

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Why is burger and cold drink bad? There are many movies where actors are shown eating burgers or gulping down drinks - have never seen this kind of policing for them. Only because they are thin? This is exactly the problem with veiled fat-shaming. We pretend to suddenly care about someone's health so much, but actually we don't really care. We just love picking on people and pointing fingers at others.

Many people smoke/drink etc. That is also bad for health. I have never seen anyone shame them for that. Rather it is perceived to be cool and edgy.

I am glad to see to plus-sized women unapologetically be themselves on-screen. Hope the film lives up to expectations.

You must be really fat. Looks like you love eating junk. How exactly are burgers and cold drinks healthy? πŸ€’

NotAMuggle thumbnail

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

1. Burgers, Pizzas, cold drinks etc are bad. For everyone. Occasional consumption is alright. But overeating them is a problem. They are not healthy & not a great addition to daily diet. 

2. In other films they are not talked about because they don't concern the subject matter of that movie. They are irrelevant there. But yes, still bad.

@ Bold : Let's then say Aishwarya, Sonam, Yami etc were also being unapologetically themselves when they were promoting fairness Creams / masks then πŸ˜† Why do we pretend they were doing something heinous then? πŸ€ͺ

We should probably get SRK or some other smoking actors / actress signed up & promote various varieties of cigars & cheroots too πŸ˜³ They would be unapologetically themselves too. Who cares anything about cancer? πŸ˜ƒ

I think the underlying message was to be happy in your skin/size.

If you want to show outrage over unhealthy practices, start with your favorite actor promoting those very soda's, chips & alcohol. 

NotAMuggle thumbnail

And before someone else pounce on me again, let me clarify that NO, I do NOT support fat / body shaming. People have many underlying reasons, that may have lead them to be overweight / underweight which we can not possibly know.

BUT! I do condemn the idea of unhealthy food habit & unhealthy lifestyle and I do not think people who have become overweight because of those choices that they willingly made, deserve much sympathy. 

And movies like this, that tries to normalise those habits & tries to make it look like something cool, are not something to celebrate. By portraying the ones who are overweight / underweight by their own unhealthy choices as victims, these are actually belittling / undermining the struggle of people who are genuinely suffering from thyroid, PCOS or any such medical conditions & are really battling to bring a normalcy in their life.

Peace ✌🏻

Edited by NotAMuggle - 2 years ago
Mahisa_22 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Don't read too much in between the lines & twist everything. I did say fat shaming is bad. I am not supporting fat shaming or justifying it 

I was talking about the way this teaser has represented the idea of being fat by showing them munching on burgers & sipping on sodas pretending that it's cool. In the end scene, Huma is gobbling down a burger & Sonakshi is sipping on cold drinks & they are laughing over it. That IS bad! Viewers, mostly the ones who are suffering from obesity & were trying to control it, might get the idea that it's okay to not cut down on junks, it's okay to eat unhealthy stuffs since who cares whether I get fat! I was talking about the probability of passing off such a dangerous message.

Okay, I get you. I didn't watch the trailer at first. It's good overall, but yes, the burger-chomping at the end looked unnecessary. 

Maraka_Musso89 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

That I agree with. Everyone's body type is different. Some people have broad structure & looks overweight, rather actually being overweight. In case of extra fat too, it mostly depends on from where did the extra fat in your body originate. If it's normal fat, coming from your regular diet that's okay I think.

But fats accumulated from junk/processed foods, sugary drinks.... they are problematic.

People who est junk/processeur food and have surgery drinks won't become obese as long as they don't go over their Kcal intake. BUT they'll be unhealthy. 

Meanwhile, someone who eat high quality food and goes over their Kcal intake will put on weight.

Also some people are overweight because of some medical issues.

What I mean to say is that it doesn't make sense to criticize someone because of their weight and to assume they are glutton.

NotAMuggle thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maraka_Musso89

People who est junk/processeur food and have surgery drinks won't become obese as long as they don't go over their Kcal intake. BUT they'll be unhealthy. 

Meanwhile, someone who eat high quality food and goes over their Kcal intake will put on weight.

Also some people are overweight because of some medical issues.

What I mean to say is that it doesn't make sense to criticize someone because of their weight and to assume they are glutton.

I totally agree.

I wasn't criticising or shaming anyone for being overweight. I said almost the same thing in my peace out post.

You would understand what I am talking about if you watch this teaser. They showed the two of them happily munching on burger & soda at the end and laughing over it while throughout the whole teaser they talk about being called fat. It's either a badly written scene or they have got the whole idea of fat/overweight wrong.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Obesity is a health problem, not just a superficial aesthetic concern. If left unchecked, it can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, breathing problems, heart disease,  stroke....what not! 

I can't believe they are making a movie to promote the idea that gulping down junk foods & drinking sugary sodas are "cool" & there's no need to pay any attention to body weight 🀦🏻 Fat shaming is bad but so is pretending excess fat is okay, so keep stuffing in empty calories without a care πŸ€”

God knows what are these people thinkingπŸ₯±

Obesity is a complex issue at the intersection of physical and mental health. Fat shaming has no care for either. Body positivity is about making people feel good about their bodies. Being overweight or having certain indulgences like junk food does not reduce someone's worth as a person. Body positivity is not about glorifying those indulgences but making sure all people are still treated with dignity and kindness. 

The health concerns you mentioned may be caused or exacerbated by obesity but are not exclusive to obese people. Anyone can have them. It is important to break the myth that only fat people are unhealthy. Health issues can be caused by a number of factors and not just junk food and sugary drinks. People who do indulge in a lot of unhealthy food can still be healthy with exercise and an overall balanced diet. People who seemingly eat only healthy food can be unhealthy due to genetics or poor overall balance. 

If someone does have a health concern fat-shaming is not going to help them get healthy. In fact, it can lead people further into depression and anxiety that is unhealthy. People may lose weight but develop eating disorders too that can be deadly. A discussion about health is better left between an individual and their doctor. And it can be addressed without reference to someone's weight. If someone has high cholesterol - the doctor may recommend a prescription medication along with some dietary changes and daily walking. The person may lose weight as part of the process of treating their condition - but the weight is not a central factor. Keeping weight out of the conversation also prevents people from letting their struggles with weight impact their ability to care for themselves. 

And I've barely addressed other issues like access to healthcare, access to nutritious food, affordability of nutritious food, access to dieticians, access to exercise equipment, affordability of workout gear, time to cook or workout. People who work multiple jobs to make ends meet and are compelled to eat only junk food due to cost and ease will remain unhealthy and obese through no fault of their own. People without proper healthcare or access to information about making healthy lifestyle choices or support for their mental well being will remain unhealthy and obese through no fault of their own.