Lack of Representation and Distortion of Historical Facts

cynical_g thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

This show may have been a noble attempt at showcasing Odisha's rich history and traditions for the first time before the national television viewers, yet it is nothing less than a half-baked money minting move by Star Plus in the name of creativity. Being targeted at the Hindi Belt audience primarily (coz TRP game, duh!), with the sole exception of Sulagna Panigrahi and some extras, the show has no Odia actors to lend any credibility. On top of that, the writers do not seem to be staying true to the facts and events that transpired before and during the Paika Rebellion, something that has been witnessed in every historical show. (In fact, Sharad Malhotra had played the leading role in Maharana Pratap, a show stricken with the same syndrome) 

Random Odia words thrown in between Hindi dialogues sound weird to an average Odia speaking viewer, who is hoping that his/her cultural and political history is not a source for mockery, especially when South movies like Baahubali are finding pan-India success devoid of any Bollywoodisation despite the language barrier. 

One must remember the importance of the Rebellion after all, its cultural and religious significance with respect to the political future of not only Odisha, but the entire subcontinent in a way. Why waste resources in such a shoddy piece of work by making it a product of mass viewing? Why not upgrade it to OTT which will catapult its overall quality by a thousand times?

I hope that the makers realise it soon that the viewing standards have changed significantly and quality over quantity has gained some momentum. As an avid viewer of great stories, history enthusiast, as a sincere Odia, and as a proud Indian, I put forth these thoughts.

P.S. I am still happy about the fact that a great story from Odisha has come onto mainstream TV screens and a really good actor is at the helm of playing Buxi Jagabandhu. This is indeed a moment of pride and joy for the state and its people, who have been long neglected by the mainstream media and entertainment industry. Also, to see Sulagna back on screen is another moment of pride because she still lends some credibility to the character (not referring to acting) through her correct pronunciation and diction, which is crucial for authentic portrayal of the Odia warrior class.

P.P.S. Episode 1 featured a medley of various dance forms of Odisha including Odissi in its modern form. That's way too much of lazy writing. Extreme lack of research. Modern forms of Odissi developed only after Independence and its earlier two proto forms, i.e. Mahari and Gotipua, were associated with the devadasi and gurukul-led boy dance troupe traditions respectively.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MastaniBaji thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: cynical_g

This show may have been a noble attempt at showcasing Odisha's rich history and traditions for the first time before the national television viewers, yet it is nothing less than a half-baked money minting move by Star Plus in the name of creativity. Being targeted at the Hindi Belt audience primarily (coz TRP game, duh!), with the sole exception of Sulagna Panigrahi and some extras, the show has no Odia actors to lend any credibility. On top of that, the writers do not seem to be staying true to the facts and events that transpired before and during the Paika Rebellion, something that has been witnessed in every historical show. (In fact, Sharad Malhotra had played the leading role in Maharana Pratap, a show stricken with the same syndrome) 

Random Odia words thrown in between Hindi dialogues sound weird to an average Odia speaking viewer, who is hoping that his/her cultural and political history is not a source for mockery, especially when South movies like Baahubali are finding pan-India success devoid of any Bollywoodisation despite the language barrier. 

One must remember the importance of the Rebellion after all, its cultural and religious significance with respect to the political future of not only Odisha, but the entire subcontinent in a way. Why waste resources in such a shoddy piece of work by making it a product of mass viewing? Why not upgrade it to OTT which will catapult its overall quality by a thousand times?

I hope that the makers realise it soon that the viewing standards have changed significantly and quality over quantity has gained some momentum. As an avid viewer of great stories, history enthusiast, as a sincere Odia, and as a proud Indian, I put forth these thoughts.

P.S. I am still happy about the fact that a great story from Odisha has come onto mainstream TV screens and a really good actor is at the helm of playing Buxi Jagabandhu. This is indeed a moment of pride and joy for the state and its people, who have been long neglected by the mainstream media and entertainment industry. Also, to see Sulagna back on screen is another moment of pride because she still lends some credibility to the character (not referring to acting) through her correct pronunciation and diction, which is crucial for authentic portrayal of the Odia warrior class.

P.P.S. Episode 1 featured a medley of various dance forms of Odisha including Odissi in its modern form. That's way too much of lazy writing. Extreme lack of research. Modern forms of Odissi developed only after Independence and its earlier two proto forms, i.e. Mahari and Gotipua, were associated with the devadasi and gurukul-led boy dance troupe traditions respectively.

You are being highly civil dear. I am not an odia still I am disheartened to see that such a rich history of independence movement is distorted to add saas bahu nonsensical drama. Buxi is a mere cry baby in the show, maharaj is too afraid to take any firm decisions, Kalyani is annoying, radha is of low constitution, Fletcher is anglo indian and a maniac, EIC is Fletcher ki satayi hue bechari company. Non odia would never understand why Buxi is trying to rebel. Why? Just because company is incharge now.🤔 They didn't show any oppression by Brits, neither the supreme sacrifice of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru🙏 Writing and editing both are of low quality. Wish this show was ott platform. Maharana Pratap with all its flaws was still a better show. The way they showed jauhar could make anyone's soul to be shaken to core.😢🔥

MastaniBaji thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

One thing I did notice , Buxi's friend bahu, who is he? Pindki bahubalendra? Characters bhi abhi tak theek se pata nahi hai ki kaun kya hai. 😐