Q. Why does world not recognise bollywood like kpop/kdramas? - Page 9

shareShare facebook twitter
Posted: 11 months ago

K-pop is overrated.

5 minutes se jyada dekh nahi sakti main.

Originally posted by Mahisa_22

Well, our women viewers too indulge old uncles wooing (and getting) young women. 

I don't think that women form the core audience of such masala movies. And even if some women viewers of India don't have issues with such themes, women of other countries definitely don't like them and hence, the popularity of k dramas internationally. 

Originally posted by Mahisa_22

Bro, you really have no idea about how racist Koreans can be. They call any slightly dark people as Africans and are obsessed with surgery. 

I have some insight. Some of them look down upon Indians for eating with our hands. And feel our food smells (I mean have you even smelled kimchi smiley36). 

But at least they aren't racist towards their own countrymen!

Originally posted by tapori

I have some insight. Some of them look down upon Indians for eating with our hands. And feel our food smells (I mean have you even smelled kimchi smiley36). 

But at least they aren't racist towards their own countrymen!

How is that any better from being racist towards others? Racist is racism, be it towards one's own or others. 

Also, they call very racist names to their people who look Southeast Asian, so that argument doesn't really stand. smiley36

Originally posted by Lalakhun1

K dramas I havent watched like for more than 10 years, the innocent / cute act are very annoying, also I used to read how they say in real life korean people are not even like that ?

Also I might be different, but I am not interested in culture other than my own, especially if I am not understanding the language, i will not bother watching or listening to the songs. 

The xenophobia jumped out.

Edited by Daechwita - 11 months ago
Originally posted by tapori

I have a theory. The nations that're on good terms with US, politically, enjoy the access to easily spread their soft power in US, and that does have a cascading effect world over. Of course, quality hone ko maangta.

So e.g. if say (and it's a big say 💀) K-Pop were to emanate from North Korea, I doubt it'd be able to enjoy such reach. 

Good thing for India is that US-India relations are on an upswing, and will remain so for a long time to come. I predict Bollywood to start getting a better spotlight in Amreeka. Bas dhang ki picturein bana lein.

That's not it ....Kpop groups had been trying to break into US for a while in US(even before Gangnam style went viral)  and none of it got attention till BTS blew up and US radio stations still refuse to play fully Korean songs.

Posted: 10 months ago
Originally posted by Daechwita

The xenophobia jumped out.

xenophobia 

It is an expression of perceived conflict between an ingroup and an outgroup and may manifest in suspicion by the one of the other's activities, a desire to eliminate their presence, and fear of losing national, ethnic, or racial identity.

What? Well I dont have much expectations from kpop fans but then try to at least understand the "context" of the words you so desperately want to bash others with. 

People are talking abt culture because the topic maker talk about how kpop, kdramas are popular because they are promoting their culture? At least read what the topic is about? 

Just because you dont like orange, that doesnt mean you are saying all orange trees should be cut, they have no right to exist and are inferior... 

Posted: 10 months ago
Originally posted by Daechwita

That's not it ....Kpop groups had been trying to break into US for a while in US(even before Gangnam style went viral)  and none of it got attention till BTS blew up and US radio stations still refuse to play fully Korean songs.

The idea had cropped into my head when thinking about cars.

E.g. South Korean (Kia, Hyundai), German (Audi, BMW, VW, Merc,..), Japanese (Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti,.. falaana dhimkaana) brands have a strong presence in US.

Coincidentally, US has airbases in all these countries!!! 

I extrapolated this to other businesses including in entertainment industry. 

The countries close to US (e.g. Taiwan v/s China) have it easier to access this huge and influential market. And it does have a cascading effect the world over.