My two cents on Alia Bhatt's Controversial Ad

Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Millenium Squad

Posted: 2 years ago

Kanyadaan has lost its essence it today's world. It wasn't created with a regressive mindset, Infact it was one of the most sacred ritual in the Hindu religion. Honestly, today's generation wouldn't care about doing a deep dive to understand its relevance.

In one of my acquaintances.. a couple constructed their wedding as they wanted. Both Bride and Groom came at the venue together in an open car.. both their families and guests were already there. Hero Heroine of the day made an entry together in a filmy way.. no ghoda ghodi involved. They had var maala and phere but had made their on self made couple rituals done separately as well. This was before woke became the IT thing.. talking somewhere +/- 2000. No one objected everyone enjoyed it. Seniors in the family as well.

That is the beauty of Hindu religion, it is progressive and adaptable to changing times. It doesn't forces you, if you don't want to follow it. You wont be beheaded if you don't follow it. 

Alia ad achieved its purpose of getting viral. Thing is what they said was pleasing to today's woke generation. That is what Entertainment industry wants to do.. purposefully attack a single religion and it will get brownie points for it.. no matter how oblivious it is. Its easy to destroy rituals, customs and traditions but it take generations to build them. Those are the carefully crafted threads that once connected society together and made living in it worthwhile. 

Unfortunately Hindu religion will let go a pious, a once upon a time a beautiful ritual like Kanyadaan or Karvachauth maybe in coming times rakshabandhan as well. It just boggles my mind that are we as a society really progressing or are we going to end up destructing anything and everything that once was good. 

Sorry thread got locked and mods are free to lock this one as well.. just wanted to share my thoughts.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I really do not get what is so great about Kanyadaan. I will confess that I am not a well read Hindu and do not know the history of this tradition. 

Just because something is sacred doesn't make it right. Dowry was once a supposedly logical practice, and sati was a pious ritual. Doesn't make them right. 

And I absolutely agree that Hinduism is one of the few religions which has had the guts to adapt and change with changing times, and evolved into a better religion because of that. Cannot say the same about Islam or the orthodox branches of Christianity. 

Zeal17 thumbnail

Millenium Squad

Originally posted by: CrimeMasterToto

I really do not get what is so great about Kanyadaan. I will confess that I am not a well read Hindu and do not know the history of this tradition. 

Just because something is sacred doesn't make it right. Dowry was once a supposedly logical practice, and sati was a pious ritual. Doesn't make them right. 

And I absolutely agree that Hinduism is one of the few religions which has had the guts to adapt and change with changing times, and evolved into a better religion because of that. Cannot say the same about Islam or the orthodox branches of Christianity. 

I 100% agree with your thought about not every ritual that is sacred makes it right.. we have gotten rid of many ill practiced rituals like Sati, child marriage dowry etc. My point was that our religion will survive will mold for the best and it idealistically should come from bottom up and not be enforced or moral policed from a corrupted entertainment industry. 

On Kanyadaan, I will try to explain from my side don't know if I will be able to do justice. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I would have given my two cents too, lekin pilhal utne bhi paise nahi hain.

JayaBachan thumbnail

Horror Heroes

Originally posted by: MujheMaarjaneDo

Stop spending your money on weed. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

Stop spending your money on weed. 

More than weed, I should stop spending on cigarettes😆.

Zeal17 thumbnail

Millenium Squad

The negativity of word Kanyadaan stems from the narrow minded people who are stuck up on word Kanya and Daan.. but there is/was auspicious significance behind it. Girl is not praya dhan or being donated here. That is why mantra spoken at the time of Kanyadaan is different from all the mantras spoken at the time of donation/daan.. anyways let me get to the point where I show what it actually means..

In the religious realm, lucky are the parents who get daughters because they get the opportunity to purify their sins(even the one's made in previous births).

The bride is treated as incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, not the so called objectification as people believe it today. So all the mantra's spoken at time of Kanyadaan are to seek blessings of the god that the parents of the bride have performed their responsibility of making Goddess Lakshmi meet the groom who is believed to be incarnation of God Vishnu. Parents of the bride have fulfilled their dharma, they have done the most divine act uniting Lakshmi back with her Vishnu and now the parents of daughter can attain Moksha.. 

One of the mantras literally means that parents are thanking god Vishnu for giving the opportunity to raise a daughter and now give rightfully back to him. As part of the cycle of birth and life to continue its important that Lashmi and Vishnu meet continue that cycle. 

Zeal17 thumbnail

Millenium Squad

Originally posted by: Zeal17

The negativity of word Kanyadaan stems from the narrow minded people who are stuck up on word Kanya and Daan.. but there is/was auspicious significance behind it. Girl is not praya dhan or being donated here. That is why mantra spoken at the time of Kanyadaan is different from all the mantras spoken at the time of donation/daan.. anyways let me get to the point where I show what it actually means..

In the religious realm, lucky are the parents who get daughters because they get the opportunity to purify their sins(even the one's made in previous births).

The bride is treated as incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, not the so called objectification as people believe it today. So all the mantra's spoken at time of Kanyadaan are to seek blessings of the god that the parents of the bride have performed their responsibility of making Goddess Lakshmi meet the groom who is believed to be incarnation of God Vishnu. Parents of the bride have fulfilled their dharma, they have done the most divine act uniting Lakshmi back with her Vishnu and now the parents of daughter can attain Moksha.. 

One of the mantras literally means that parents are thanking god Vishnu for giving the opportunity to raise a daughter and now give rightfully back to him. As part of the cycle of birth and life to continue its important that Lashmi and Vishnu meet continue that cycle. 

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

i dont see any beauty in karwachauth if its only wife fasting for her husband s long life while huband does not and i dont understand kanyadaan so will refrain from speaking on it 

having said that i agree hindu religion is very liberal in lot of ways ( and regressive in other ways) it was even more liberal in ancient times we went from celebrating and worshiping  every human emotion including kama to not talking about it in name of 'sanskar'  the main reason for this being the mughal and british invasions 

even calling your husband 'my lord" and not taking their name does not comes under "hindu sanskar" if one reads ancient text both draupadi and sita called their spouse by given name 

also with all due respect i would like to see the reaction if any other religions revered figures called names that krishna gets called on daily basis or songs like "kalanki so and so" in the name of "creative liberty" and "freedom of speech" made about them kalanki means disgraceful bawal ho jayega 

Edited by Krishnapanchali - 2 years ago
TMKOC_MY thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: MujheMaarjaneDo

Bhai tum to bol rhe the ki log paypal kar rhe 😆