Mysterious TRP Audience

raindropsroses thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

I’m trying to understand who these so called “TRP Audience” are.

Since the episode was out at 6 am IST today, all of us in the forum have been totally against it, absolutely hating the violence potrayed.

I could barely watch the episode once, I won’t even dream of watching it on TV today or rewatch it else where. So how is this going to bring in a raise in TRP?

As contrasted with the pallu scene during the kidnapping sequence, marriage sequence or any of the other ShiVi sequence waala episodes which I personally and so many of you watched repeatedly.

So someone help me understand how this whole TRP works, and if the makers think this sort of drama will attract audience, who are these people who glorify violence?!

Edited by raindropsroses - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ananya269 thumbnail

I have no freaking idea. Pandya store was such a nice show with no villains and no OTT drama. I also think they have changed Shivi’s equation for the TRP race. 

milkcakejamun thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Essentially the BARC installed meters in a certain number of households (as it would be next to impossible to monitor every single household in India). Based on what shows those households watch, the TRPs are calculated. If you look into the statistics, the BARC include a decent enough sample size (~45000 households) to make reasonable predictions about the rest of India.

Unfortunately, buzz and social media is not calculated into the TRP race, and the international audience is never included either, so a reasonable number of us don't even matter/contribute. 

The problem with how TRPs are calculated though, is just the way they sample the data. I'm assuming they are the same 45,000 households for a couple of years, so this doesn't factor the changing trends of the audience (i.e., newly independent watchers who've just begun to watch ITV on their own accord instead of being forced to watch by a family member). So, it takes years for the shows to catch up to the true pulse of the audience

This is also why shows like IPKKND, despite being insanely popular abroad and online, wasn't on the leaderboard for the TRPs as it is pretty much predetermined by those 45000 households...

Edited by milkcakejamun - 2 years ago
mpks1 thumbnail

This version has deviated from the original which is still running well in the State for its positivity.

Characterizations, relationships, dynamics, tracks etc. have been changed to satisfy TRP audience who like OTT drama. They are not you and me, but regular TV watching people who want drama, tears, violence, abuse, harassment and much more. They just want entertainment and want to see TV  FL lead either in misery or they should be made mahaan😡 They don't like balance, logic and sensibility period, just want mindless unacceptable drama which makes them happy. But I truly wish the TRPs go down for this week😡

Edited by mpks1 - 2 years ago
raindropsroses thumbnail

Originally posted by: milkcakejamun

Essentially the BARC installed meters in a certain number of households (as it would be next to impossible to monitor every single household in India). Based on what shows those households watch, the TRPs are calculated. If you look into the statistics, the BARC include a decent enough sample size (~45000 households) to make reasonable predictions about the rest of India.

Unfortunately, buzz and social media is not calculated into the TRP race, and the international audience is never included either, so a reasonable number of us don't even matter/contribute. 

The problem with how TRPs are calculated though, is just the way they sample the data. I'm assuming they are the same 45,000 households for a couple of years, so this doesn't factor the changing trends of the audience (i.e., newly independent watchers who've just begun to watch ITV on their own accord instead of being forced to watch by a family member). So, it takes years for the shows to catch up to the true pulse of the audience

This is also why shows like IPKKND, despite being insanely popular abroad and online, wasn't on the leaderboard for the TRPs as it is pretty much predetermined by those 45000 households...

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Avi!

So in the current situation, TRP shouldn’t be a factor to determine how well a show is performing. So why are they still going by it, if they’re even going by it.

raindropsroses thumbnail

Originally posted by: mpks1

This version has deviated from the original which is still running well in the State for its positivity.

Characterizations, relationships, dynamics, tracks etc. have been changed to satisfy TRP audience who like OTT drama. They are not you and me, but regular TV watching people who want drama, tears, violence, abuse, harassment and much more. They just want entertainment and want to see TV  FL lead either in misery or they should be made mahaan😡

Okay, I get the picture now and it doesn’t sit well with me 😢

These people really need to reposition TRP meters to different households!

milkcakejamun thumbnail

Originally posted by: raindropsroses

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Avi!

So in the current situation, TRP shouldn’t be a factor to determine how well a show is performing. So why are they still going by it, if they’re even going by it.

It's unfortunately for the advertisement money. Hotstar is an online platform that has essentially removed the advertisements, so the show doesn't get paid anything specific. Meanwhile, while on TV, TRPs determine how much each 15-30 seconds of advertisement slots can be worth. The more popular the show as per TRPs, the more the channel/show get in return. Which is why many shows follow the trends of the TRPs (since advertisers will pay off that as opposed to biased social media reports) even if social media is absolutely opposite to that...

raindropsroses thumbnail

Originally posted by: milkcakejamun

It's unfortunately for the advertisement money. Hotstar is an online platform that has essentially removed the advertisements, so the show doesn't get paid anything specific. Meanwhile, while on TV, TRPs determine how much each 15-30 seconds of advertisement slots can be worth. The more popular the show as per TRPs, the more the channel/show get in return. Which is why many shows follow the trends of the TRPs (since advertisers will pay off that as opposed to biased social media reports) even if social media is absolutely opposite to that...

Wow I did not know about that part 😧

Thanks again Avi!

milkcakejamun thumbnail

Hopefully, with the rise of social media and the number of people on the internet, there will be different ways to calculate TRPs and the BARC's method just becomes outdated. It never made sense to me that SP's #1 show became #1 when all I see on Twitter/Instagram are people complaining. Obviously, people are just hate watching or those households are sham households. Social media and streaming platforms are probably much better indicators since they can track the data much better.

Mountains_Lakes thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

That or consider online, streaming, international popularity?

Sure online doesn't bring them revenue, bit it saves them marketing costs. Just look at this show. When it was at 11 and up until recently, this show was hardly promoted by SP or media portals. It managed to be in top 15 on its own merit giving close run with the bhagyas which I know are popular series. I would like to think that it was because of the original story, that brought online audience, and they created VMs and edits. We have many members who came here through that way. It's free WOM. They should consider that.

And SP gets revenue through Hotstar subscription. That's how I and many of us see this show when it's available online. So does that not count for anything? Why can't storyline be determined on this similar to that of OTT platform and any additional audience through ITV be considered as bonus. If the makers have good story to tell, it can continue in web format via Hotstar if SP wants to pull the plug.

This TRP race is bullshit. If makers are reading this, please change the story back to how it was at 11. We don't need these kind of episodes. 🙏