Pakistani Serials

DOTW#13 *Punishment Of Negative Characters In Pakistani Dramas*

awida thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 10 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 3 years ago

Hello everybody.

It is common in dramas that they have at least one negative character which keeps viewers wishing for its worst punishment in the end.

Some of these characters go through a redemtion and transform to good ppl.. some stay negative till the end.. so punishment serves the right message to society that evil loses, and good wins. πŸ˜Š

Surprisingly some of them get clean shit in the end, like many of male leads being forgiven by their mahaan wives. Some of female leads too get this escape from punishment like Guddi in Mushk.πŸ€“

Most of dramas give a satisfying punishment of such characters ..like spending the rest of their lives behind bars, or killed.whereas many others give strange punishments like getting paralysed, mad, raped, acid attacked, natural death, left alone or sent to dar ul aman.. and more other unjustified punishments.πŸ€”

So. What do you think about punisments of negative characters in Pakistani dramas? Which ones you find justified and which ones not?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

azaanabbas thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I don't really mind when the villains getting killed or going behind bars BUT I feel like they don't show the villain suffering enough. I feel like there's like 15 minutes of the villain going through everything and it feels odd as the main leads suffered for episodes and episodes. There were some dramas where the villain was given clean chit just because they cried... like Ayeza in Yaariyan. I was annoyed from that πŸ€’. I enjoyed Bharosa's ending as the girl forgave her husband but did not take him back. I think better endings need to be worked on for some shows that have certain plots. I also agree with you, that Guddi had no punishment and it was very annoying. 

I however do not like when they show rape and acid attack as a punishment... it is not right. I feel like rape and acid attack are not the right solutions. I believe in Darr Khuda Say one of the girls got an acid attack and I felt it wasn't the right punishment, it was wrong. There need to be limits.. as some things are wrong and inhumane no matter who it is. 

Arshi1195 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6

Pakistani dramas do not understand how to punish negative characters. Like the characters should actually serve time in jail or be left to live life in misery or something yet that does not happen. 

There are literal shows where characters try to kill another or poison them etc but they are forgiven because "they were being nadaan" 

I also hate it when elder characters like parents of grandparents get forgiven. They also need to be punished for being filthy humans, instead the other characters will always be like "oh you're making me feel embarrassed/sharminda for asking for forgiveness" 

I also hate when negative characters get last minute sympathy because they do something "good" 

For example when in Ruswai, Mikaal's character takes a bullet for Sana and she even cries about it was the biggest bullsh*t I had ever seen. They really gave sympathy to a dirty, violently abusive and cheating man. 

Edited by Arshi1195 - 3 years ago
Arshi1195 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: azaanabbas

I don't really mind when the villains getting killed or going behind bars BUT I feel like they don't show the villain suffering enough. I feel like there's like 15 minutes of the villain going through everything and it feels odd as the main leads suffered for episodes and episodes. There were some dramas where the villain was given clean chit just because they cried... like Ayeza in Yaariyan. I was annoyed from that πŸ€’. I enjoyed Bharosa's ending as the girl forgave her husband but did not take him back. I think better endings need to be worked on for some shows that have certain plots. I also agree with you, that Guddi had no punishment and it was very annoying. 

I however do not like when they show rape and acid attack as a punishment... it is not right. I feel like rape and acid attack are not the right solutions. I believe in Darr Khuda Say one of the girls got an acid attack and I felt it wasn't the right punishment, it was wrong. There need to be limits.. as some things are wrong and inhumane no matter who it is. 

I completely agree with the whole acid attacks and stuff. They will either make them a victim of an attack, or suddenly an evil character can no longer bear children or they become mentally unstable...like what kind of stupid coincidences are these? Why not throw their asses in jail and actually have them live with the acts they have done. I also really hate when negative characters commit suicide. Have them deal with actual consequences.

Edited by Arshi1195 - 3 years ago
awida thumbnail

Originally posted by: azaanabbas

Thanks for joining the discussion. πŸ˜Š I agree with you. Death or being sent to jail in the end of the show isn't satisfying.. but I'll hate it if they drag a show just to show the villain suffering. πŸ˜” It'll be boring.. but  yes.. if he has an accident , and had to live with a disability, or got bankrupt and had to beg , or even watching the villain's attempts to get what he wants backfire and he suffers , as envy eats him from insideπŸ˜‰.. with the mean leads spending quality time togather.. it will be a delight.πŸ˜ƒ

awida thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arshi1195

Pakistani dramas do not understand how to punish negative characters. Like the characters should actually serve time in jail or be left to live life in misery or something yet that does not happen. 

There are literal shows where characters try to kill another or poison them etc but they are forgiven because "they were being nadaan" 

I also hate it when elder characters like parents of grandparents get forgiven. They also need to be punished for being filthy humans, instead the other characters will always be like "oh you're making me feel embarrassed/sharminda for asking for forgiveness" 

I also hate when negative characters get last minute sympathy because they do something "good" 

For example when in Ruswai, Mikaal's character takes a bullet for Sana and she even cries about it was the biggest bullsh*t I had ever seen. They really gave sympathy to a dirty, violently abusive and cheating man. 

Thanks for joining the discussion. πŸ˜ƒ

I agree many Pakistani dramas fail to give a good punishment for villains, specially if they are parents of main leads.. because in our society children are asked to respect elders.πŸ€” I feel horrified when the female lead who goes through lots of suffering and badnami because of her in laws , forgive them in the end and stay with them to take good care of them.😲 At least let the female lead have a seperate house.πŸ€“ that "Sharmindagi " πŸ˜† For what?😳 I hate it that they give a bad message to society that no matter what you do to your children and their spouses ..it is for their own betterment.. and if things go wrong it doesn't matter ..they'll forgive you.🀒 

I agree with you Mikaal's dying to save Sana made no sense.. and it didn't make me feel for him.πŸ€” I though sympathied with few negative male leads in the past , like : Meer Hadi in Khani.. I did so because their journey of redemtion was shown in detail.. so that I felt they suffered enough to cover up their wrong doings. But Mikaal.. didn't pass any journey here.

And nothing irritats me more than those nadaan husbands who believe their mothers, or other women and suspect their own wives.🀒 I am tired of such weak spouses who get forgiven after all. πŸ˜‘

Kadu13 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 2

I think the punishments of rape, death, paralysis aren’t correct. This is because all these punishments aren’t caused by the intentional actions of the victims. These can happen to any random person without reason. Punishments should be shown to caused by their actions.
I think while person going mad is an interesting n realistic end. It is not portrayed properly. Often times the turn to insanity is like a switch of a button. It should be gradual. Not to mention how repetitive it has become.

awida thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arshi1195

I completely agree with the whole acid attacks and stuff. They will either make them a victim of an attack, or suddenly an evil character can no longer bear children or they become mentally unstable...like what kind of stupid coincidences are these? Why not throw their asses in jail and actually have them live with the acts they have done. I also really hate when negative characters commit suicide. Have them deal with actual consequences.

I like it that you mentioned those strange coincidences.πŸ‘πŸΌ I agree. They make no sense.. also some times they show makafat e amal in Pakistani dramas by getting a relative of a villain to be punished insteed.😳 Like in Ab Dekh Khuda Kia Karta  Hai . Danish' innocent sister became a victim of human trafficking. Because her brother was an evil.😳 In Tumse Kehna Tha too Yasir's sister kept repeating that she lost her husband because of her brother's wrong doings.πŸ€”

As for suicide , it is forbidden and ppl who commit it deliberately will suffer in hell . I feel any punishment in this life is nothing compared to after life. πŸ˜’ For this I am ok seeing a villain doing it .😈

MochaQueen thumbnail

Negative characters shou;d just stay negative because thats how it is in real life. People dont just change overnight the way they show in dramas because of one tragedy. Its a gradual change.

Some realistic endings of negative characters are Ulfat from DMKD, Sikandar from Kankar etc

The worst is when negative character just gets killed off because the writer cant think of what to do with them. Like zonia in jaal🀒

awida thumbnail

Originally posted by: Unique.Sheep

Negative characters shou;d just stay negative because thats how it is in real life. People dont just change overnight the way they show in dramas because of one tragedy. Its a gradual change.

Thanks for joining the discussion.😊

I agree in most of cases negative ppl don't change.. but we are humans. We get affected by the surrowndings. I think many ppl made good transformations.. I saw few ppl who were abusers and changed with their families after the learned that the way the were brought up with isn't right, and times change. It depends on the kind of negativity. I think everyone has a bit of negativity in his/ her character , but we don't surrender to it.πŸ˜•

Some realistic endings of negative characters are Ulfat from DMKD, Sikandar from Kankar etc

I really liked the ending of DMKD . I think it depends on the kind of negativity. If the character didn't do an unredeemable act, it can get a transformation.. or just realizes its mistakes and try to live with the consequences of them. 

The worst is when negative character just gets killed off because the writer cant think of what to do with them. Like zonia in jaal🀒

I agree with you. The easy way to end a drama is by killing the negative character in an accident, or just die without even explaining how that happened like : Emmad in Jalan, and Seher Khan in MeherPosh .πŸ˜• I liked the ending of Nazr E Bad because Azfu went through a gr8 suffer and died a miserable death .😊